Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age I just finished Dragon Age Origins and some parts of it werent awfull

J1M

Arcane
, other than the neverending slog through the deep roads

For me Deep Roads is one of the best part of the game, the slog not only helped to emphasise just how harsh was the place but also created another world inside the gameworld.
Can imagine some people going there first and having a bad time because most of their interesting abilities are locked. But the game tells you the deep roads are dangerous every 5 minutes.

It is a shame how much effort went into the Origins toolset and all they really did with it was create an expansion pack. It had many advanced features that you don't usually see in the first release of an IP.

Should have open sourced it as a game engine and taken a cut of any retail products that were built on it.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Dragon Age Origin is best enjoyed as a starter rpg for a 12 year old. It is the next step to take after having played Underrail.

One of the huge positives of this game is that for it's time it had amazing combat for being a rpg. The gameplay rules are brilliantly animated by the swing of a sword or
the bash of a shield. The killing blow sometimes results in decapitation of the head which can gloriously be enjoyed when pausing the game.

In LOTR Elves are portrayed as elegant, ancient and powerful beings, yet in this game they can be slaves and gay. A unique twist to a classic stereotype.

As a teenager you can only dream about females like Leliana and Morrigan. It is a good introduction to learn male players the way to a woman's heart.
There are choices and there are very dire consequences.

Absinthe

Arcane
For me Deep Roads is one of the best part of the game, the slog not only helped to emphasise just how harsh was the place but also created another world inside the gameworld.
Are you serious? Thanks to the free out-of-combat recovery, all those trash encounters don't even serve as a proper resource attrition threat. They're just time-wasting loot & exp collection.

https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Arcane_Warrior_spellcasting

You're still a mage, man. Every spell with an S can be used as part of an opener, before you unSheathe your weapon. Every spell with a D can be cast with normal weapons drawn. Death Cloud, Inferno, the Crushing Prison / Force Field combo, Glyph combos and such are all cool options that don't break the game too badly.
But why even bother with normal weapons when you can just equip a staff and enjoy massive spellpower? There's nothing really appealing about auto-attacking. The autoattack of a staff is usually comparable to a good weapon anyway, since it has a higher attack speed and you can stack elemental multipliers and resistance penalties, and it scales off of spellpower anyhow. The only thing melee has going for it is the ability to stack a lot of paralysis/stun procs but you can just cast paralysis effects anyway. That and using Death Hex with a lot of critical damage multipliers, but you can also cast the Entropic Death spell combo if you just want to destroy enemies.

The thing about Dragon Age combat is that it was never good. Origins lacked the encounter design, the minimal balance second pass and the bug fixing needed to make it work. DA2 put the series in a limbo, where it doesn't know what genre it is so it doesn't do Action or Strategy very well at all. DAI refined DA2's combat without fixing its fundamental issues, adding a lot of ideas poached from different Action RPG subgenres without making any of them work in concert with each other. But at least when I go back to Origins I see the beta of something that could be interesting. When I go to DA2 I see the beta or something that is just bad. When I go to DAI I see that badness is now feature complete and very well polished, revealing thus that the problem is how, again, it is a game that does a lot of things and none of them particularly well.
Eh, their combat is pretty bland and bad, honestly. It's like World of Warcraft, but worse. At least WoW had some notion of instant attacks, the importance of mobility, and trying to offer a slightly varied toolkit to classes (except Paladins, and admittedly WoW handles versatility pretty badly overall). In DAO the Warrior and Rogue classes are very contingent on specializations to really get any interesting abilities and are mostly just blind attackers. I'd easily take WoW's Rogue and Warrior classes over DAO's.

Neither the combat system nor the encounter design held much promise. I mean, sure, if they overhauled almost all the abilities of the Rogue and Warrior classes (and the Mage class if we're trying to keep the game challenging), reconsidered their Stamina as mana-in-all-but-name approach, reworked crowd control mechanics and AI, and drastically improved encounter design and enemy variety, it might be better, but I'd also want to nuke the garbage threat-based aggro system honestly and kill a lot of of the stupid WoW-based design. I also think automatic out-of-combat healing is a dumb idea, tbh, since it turns a lot of trash encounter fights into total filler.

BioWare is dead, really. The part of the studio that still exists is BioWare Austin, ie the mmo people. But I'm sure the only thing they lack is a good systems designer who can just sit down and say 'We are literally going to make Dragon's Dogma, OR Dark Souls, OR Baldur's Gate, OR The Witcher 3, OR World of Warcraft. Not everything at the same time. We have a fanbase. They like us for our cutscenes. We need to cultivate that and build a game with a clear subgenre around it. That's all. No stupid tacked on features like Multiplayer. No ephemeral chimeras of whatever is popular at the moment'. If that was even possible within an EA managed brand they could easily sell 10 million copies or more one day.
They closed down the Canadian offices?

Can imagine some people going there first and having a bad time because most of their interesting abilities are locked. But the game tells you the deep roads are dangerous every 5 minutes.
Agreed.

It is a shame how much effort went into the Origins toolset and all they really did with it was create an expansion pack. It had many advanced features that you don't usually see in the first release of an IP.

Should have open sourced it as a game engine and taken a cut of any retail products that were built on it.
Are you serious? That's something Dungeon Siege should've done, not DAO. At least Dungeon Siege was a persuasive tech demo. DAO was hot garbage under the hood and their toolset had a real talent for making everything more challenging and time-consuming than it needed to be. There's a reason why NWN modders looked at DAO and decided to stick with NWN.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
But why even bother with normal weapons when you can just equip a staff and enjoy massive spellpower? There's nothing really appealing about auto-attacking. The autoattack of a staff is usually comparable to a good weapon anyway, since it has a higher attack speed and you can stack elemental multipliers and resistance penalties, and it scales off of spellpower anyhow. The only thing melee has going for it is the ability to stack a lot of paralysis/stun procs but you can just cast paralysis effects anyway. That and using Death Hex with a lot of critical damage multipliers, but you can also cast the Entropic Death spell combo if you just want to destroy enemies.
To be honest: its DAO, there's no real reason to do anything. Neither the encounter design, nor the beastiary, nor the rules system really forces a Mage down the path of extra efficiency. Like I said its the beta of something that could have been interesting, so when I look at the DAO Mage tree I see something that is not as sad or pathetic as the DA2 and DAI mage trees and I evne consider avoiding obviously broken things like Fireball, Cone of Cold and Mana Clash and instead (try to) have fun Explosive Glyphing people instead.

Absinthe

Arcane
True. The real reason to equip a staff as Arcane Warrior is to avoid the animation delays from all the constant sheathing and drawing weapons, but I'm pretty sure there's a mod that lets you cast all spells with weapons drawn.

By the way, the entire glyph tree is fairly OP. Even plain Paralysis glyphs get better if you time them to have two on the ground when pulling enemies, although Paralysis Explosion is usually very potent, since depending on the order (Glyph of Paralysis second) there is no resistance check at all.

Last edited:

Seusin

Educated
Alistair-redditor.

Dog-Mascot

Loghain-Actually could be a decent enough villain but he's presented so poorly he doesn't work.

Darkspawn-Orcs who aren't noble savages so okay I guess.

Morrigan-What twitter femcunts and r/atheist (overlap) users think they are.

Zevran-Doesn't gift GRIDs.

Sten-The least shitty of his kind.

Dwarf-A dwarf.

Rest-No need to be listed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oghren is not a dwarf. it is an elf masquarading as soemthing he thinks as a dwarf but isn't. Oghren is the anti dwarf. PERIOD.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
For starters, he hits on your female character even if you are an elf. 'Nough said.

For seconds, he is a complete retart much like the dalish are.

For thirds, he is a cuck.

For fourth, he can't handle his liquor.

For fifth, he was a product of Dave Gaider who admits to hating dwarves so of course his existence is to sabotage and besmirch the awesome reputation of dwarves.

Even a certain dwarfvin part - who is a great chaRActer - has to be embarassed of being a dwarf - so he shaves his beard. RIDICULOUSNESS.

IN CONCLUSION, only people who are clearly anti dwarf, hold up Oghren as some sort of dwarven paragon. Fuck him, and fuck them.

PERIOD.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think this is one case where the consensus is about right, it was the last decent big-budget CRPG, and the last decent CRPG until the more recent dedicated kickstarters/indies.

The combat was a bit dull, but there were still some hard fights here and there, and as a storyfag experience it was rather good, with the lore and virtual world being quite well done; it even had a few emotionally moving quest storylines. The art design and music were particularly good too.

It was the last good game that BioWare made, that's for sure. All downhill after that. What amazed me at the time was BioWare's next thoughts: "Oh look, we've had a breakout hit with DA:O that nobody saw coming, let's make DA2 less like it and more streamlined."

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't think Bioware had much choice in the matter. EA said "broaden the appeal", and they had to listen.

Asymptotics

Barrelmancer
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think Bioware had much choice in the matter. EA said "broaden the appeal", and they had to listen.

But does that ever really work? Wasn't DA2 a flop by comparison?

From what I can find DA2 sold around 33% less than DA:O. But then DA:I came in (while it was better than DA2 it was still complete EA garbage) and sold 6-11 mil copies (compared to 3.2m for DA:O). Although official numbers are hard to find for DA:I for some reason. Most sources claim 6m copies, but some refer to the fact that BioWare claimed DA:I to be its most successful title ever (sales-wise), which pushes it at least above 7m (ME3). I guess most of this can be blamed on the console sales though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Of course, DA2 was a lot cheaper to make than the others since it took a year to make and copy pasta a lot of areas. LMAO

The fact DA3 was 'most successful' shows that DA2 wasn't as hated as many claimed as people believed that it would 'kill' the franchise and was such a 'turn off'.

DA2 had things going for it and was mostly fun but was held back by being way too rushed.

DA3's story/plot is acceptable, the C&C is a step down but alright, but the characters are largely a weak link with some noteable exceptions. The less said aboutt he shitty combat and the MMO style areas the better. That was what ruined the game for me and made me stop playing. I've just strated picking it up again on my old save. Just met Hawke and Allistair. <>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom