Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Prosper I love archery in RPGs, here's my top 10 (sort of).

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lilura, Jul 27, 2014.

1. murloc_gypsy Arbiter

murloc_gypsy
    Oh fuck yeah, arrows. I always loved trying to sneak behind enemies at a distance and snipe them with some well-placed arrows to the head. In this sense, I think these games were some of the most rewarding, in no particular order: Gothic 1 & 2, Skyrim, Thief games, Oblivion. I've yet to find a non-first person RPG in which archery feels good. I do realize that it was outright broken in some of these, not unlike this video shows.

^ Top  
  2. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Fucking acronyms. What's ToME4?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Charm arrow = OP.

^ Top  
  4. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    ToME4. As in "we had to change our name from Tales of Middle Earth to ToME due to C&Ds". But you can also use Tales of Maj'Eral 4 if you feel like using the non-name they came up with.

You can have it free http://te4.org/ or you can pay a couple of bucks in Steam for shared stash, custom tiles, exploration mode and an extra class and help development.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. Mastermind Cognito Elite Material Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    I know the game is loathed around here but archery in Gothic 4 felt pretty good (though it'd probably get too repetitive in the long haul).

^ Top  
  6. Ebonsword Arcane

Ebonsword
    Archery in Dragon's Dogma is quite enjoyable, especially the Magick Archer who gets auto lock-on shots plus a host of other cool arrows.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  7. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Yes WARBAND archery is stuff of legends.

IT has right amount of skill and passive abilities.
    Starts very weak but later in game with good bow you can kill few dudes before even fight starts.

edit:

Also like poster above. Dragons Dogma Archery was really interesting especially magic archer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Essegi Cipher

Essegi
    I sorta enjoyed bows in Enclave. Of course nothing at Mount & Blade level (i often played a bow character in MB games).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    ^ Top  
  9. Crichton Prophet

Crichton
    Archery can be both effective and amusing in Arcanum. I've played a dwarven techo-archer with a pyrotechnic bow and it's all the convenience of gunslinging without the stat-split since you don't need Perception. There's also one bow that will allow a 100-magic-aptitude 20-dex character to fire at 1AP a shot, 25 shots a round; as fast as the mechanized gun.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I had fun with archery in Arx Fatalis, it's been a while but I remember getting a secret bow off a chicken, also levitating while shooting arrows, sneaking around and opening a fight with a poisoned arrow. It's a shame the paralyse enchantment doesn't work with bows and arrows, though that'd probably be extremely op.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    All right, I'll ask: what is your premise for your archery top 10? Your Oblivion entry starts with Lol Oblvion, arrows are broken. What, you completed the game with a mod and a level 1 archer, and you are complaining that arrows... are weak? I know everyone hates Oblivion, so you can say whatever you want, but what are you trying to say? Is Oblivion too easy or too hard?

Then it appears the list is how powerful the arrows are in each game, culminating in the "best" Game, M&B: Warband where you can do mega damage. So... your premise is that more damage == better bow game? Seems kinds screwy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. bloodlover Arcane

bloodlover
    My favourite would have to be Might and Magic 6 and 7 where I equip the entire party with bows and spam arrows.

I used to play (or at least try to) archers in most games but I found them to be game-breaking in many cases. Gothic 2 and 3 or TES games being good examples (though I admit that casting levitate and spamming arrows around Vicec was quite fun). Never tried them in D&D games because... mages. I found casting a shitty magic missle to be more exciting than shooting arrows and I know there is the arcane archer but it always seem to take forever to get there.

H&S games are where the class shines the most imo. Diablo2, Sacred, TQ you name it.

^ Top  
  13. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Self-Ejected
    The entries in the list are just what I found personally amusing or highly effective, I freely admit they're all over the place, thanks for the criticism.

You don't need a mod to beat Oblivion with a lvl1 archer, if that's what you thought.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    For good archery in crpg, you should take a look into the past for a crpg from Amiga and early Pc called , Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood, it has good physics and you can kill many sheriff's soldiers and some monks at the abbey. Isometric view is good, sound of sinew too and hit satisfaction is amazing due to brutal gore . Game is on only 1 floppy 3,5 , or most old game sites. Tally ho! Beware of dragon.

^ Top  
  15. buzz Arcane

buzz
    You might be confusing things Wulfric. Legend of Sherwood is a Commandos-style game from 2002.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Self-Ejected
    Yeah, I've been searching for this game that will fit on an 880k diskette, but came up with nothing. It's a CD-ROM game, and not on the original Amiga OS, but MorphOS.

Still, it looks sweet.

Actually, just as I type this my WHDLoad search completed, and a Robin Hood Amiga game resulted, called "Legend Quest". This must be what he meant.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Yeah, exactly sorry for messing up sub title. Game is very characteristic, it was both on Amiga and Pc (on starting screen was Kevin Costner ) , isometric with pixel graphics, nice ai and great intro on game engine. It was on 1, 3.5" disk. Also it was my first crpg game. Today real abandonware gem. Still playable, still having features that today Aaa crpgs are missing, like monks at abbey that make proper burial for each of your victim/killed npc .

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dick. Arcane

Dick.
    Not an RPG by any means, but Far Cry 3's Recurve Bow is fantastic. Hunting negores/animals/mercs in the jungle never got old.

^ Top  
  19. granit Scholar

granit
    Morrowind archery is very strong indeed - and really fun! One of my favorite characters is a heavy armored crossbowman. You can even go the complete Dwemer outfit and larp the coming of a second Numidium.

^ Top  
  20. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Archery is pathetic in IE games. No possibility of friendly fire, self-guided arrows, arrows of detonations disappearing when missing their targets, range limited to 15 metres, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    I loved archery in Daggerfall, not overpowered, not useless either. Then again, I loved so many things in Daggerfall.
    [​IMG]
    :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fun archery in rpgs, not actually doing anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. eremita Savant

eremita
    Blade of Darkness. The archery there is quite difficult, but very satisfying...

^ Top  
  24. eremita Savant

eremita
    At least one DnD CRPG where Rangers have some advantage...

^ Top  
  25. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    Archery in Cataclysm: DDA is quite cool.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.