Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I may just have found the best game ever

.Sigurd

Educated
Mikayel said:
In my two plays of the game I didn't really find much reason to hoard up gold -- I guess this is ultimately the main system of scoring with blasphemy/wounds coming in second (or something), but it just didn't seem like a necessary thing. I was having more fun playing evil overlord.
What is a dragon without a treasure?

Murk

Arcane
A scaly failure, according to the game (actual line in it!).

Just tried to go for profit

You finished with the following stats:

7% Brutality vs. 93% Finesse

86% Cunning vs. 14% Honor

72% Disdain vs. 28% Vigilance

Infamy: 70%

Wealth: 23150 gold coins

Wounds: 0

Blasphemy: 1

I could have pushed the religion more for some wealth and/or been a bit more careless in my fighting at times but I figured I'm better off not risking dying since apparently being too blasphemous can result in dealth and I'm assuming if you get too wounded you can die as well. One of these rounds I'm going to go for a stupid "eat everyone" route.

Also, would love a proper game that actually has 'disdain' as an attribute in game. Come to think of it, I really like how none of the attributes are really all that physical.

edit: realized there's a few occasions where you can try to bribe people to leave you alone, hadn't seen that before I guess (or paid attention).

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Attribute seem to have some influence as well: disdain will allow you to avoid traps, even obvious ones, while vigilance will let you focus on some tasks your character would get bored of quickly and abandon. Finesse appears to be more useful in the long run as it helps you with aerial combat, fighting in tight quarters, setting up ambushes, convincing people and the like — the success of training goblins to guard your lair while you hibernate seems tied to it — while brutality's advantages lie mostly with melee combat and feats of strenght, though it seems that that it plays a role in intimidating thieves to stay away from your lair but maybe infamy also helps with that. Not sure about cunning and honour; i just know that cunning influences the success of the magical trap during the hibernation.

Murk

Arcane
You can get Callaxe to help you if you're not too cunning and have enough honor (like 40% honor I think), otherwise if you try to get him to help you he runs away and its up to you to figure out how to fight Verema (I think that was her name?).

The one time I avoided cunning and went brutal, during the fight with the neighboring lands I went for full-charge instead of a trap -- I believe cunning influences the effect of your trap and the counter-attack -- with a low cunning I opted to go the brutal route and in the ensuing route I was tricked into a trojan horse style trap with a ballistae - in other cases where I went the tricky route I never came across this trap. I'm not sure if this had to do with which option you pick or which option you pick and your stats.

I'm curious if stats will either allow/disallow options all together - like too low cunning won't let you question the summoned fiends or notice the projection not reacting to you wasting its pentagrams.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Mikayel said:
You can get Callaxe to help you if you're not too cunning and have enough honor (like 40% honor I think), otherwise if you try to get him to help you he runs away and its up to you to figure out how to fight Verema (I think that was her name?).

Really? I think cunning was high during the whole game and he still accepted to help me. I usualy decided to share the loot with him because it didn't change the wealth you get out of the tower but you get a big boost to honour on your end stats that way.

Mikayel said:
The one time I avoided cunning and went brutal, during the fight with the neighboring lands I went for full-charge instead of a trap -- I believe cunning influences the effect of your trap and the counter-attack -- with a low cunning I opted to go the brutal route and in the ensuing route I was tricked into a trojan horse style trap with a ballistae - in other cases where I went the tricky route I never came across this trap. I'm not sure if this had to do with which option you pick or which option you pick and your stats.

Worth investigating but I think that disain mostly helps you to ignore traps while high vigilance will have you fall into them even if you try not to.

dragonfk

Erudite
Gragt said:
Mikayel said:

Really? I think cunning was high during the whole game and he still accepted to help me. I usualy decided to share the loot with him because it didn't change the wealth you get out of the tower but you get a big boost to honour on your end stats that way.

The most important stat here is Infamy. If it's low enough he'll help you.

Murk

Arcane
Hmm yes might have been infamy - when I was going the low cunning high honor route I did a few "good" things and so my infamy was lower.

For the mage fight I found a high finesse was the best path, and alone. I blasted her pentagrams and noticed her illusion was fake, deduced the bitch is probably at her tower, broke in through the main gate and dual-wielded my claws into her icy cold twin-falls-esque vagina. and since I didn't destroy the tower I got way more loot too 8)

When callaxe had helped me i had him weaken the tower and break the whole thing down - which made the fight easier but also ruined all the loot. Precious, precious loot :(

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
My favourite route for fighting the bitch at the end is smashing into the tower without any help. You get into an epic battle and destroy her and her minions. It leaves you battle scarred, but that's pretty cool, not like losing an eye or something.

Do the mates do anything? I only got one once but then got killed by the gods shortly after. The chess thing was pure fail.

Murk

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
My favourite route for fighting the bitch at the end is smashing into the tower without any help. You get into an epic battle and destroy her and her minions. It leaves you battle scarred, but that's pretty cool, not like losing an eye or something.

Depends on the approach, I think, as depending on both your stats and how you go at it you can either get off nearly scot-clean and full treasure or nearly killed and barely any treasure...

the mates do anything? I only got one once but then got killed by the gods shortly after. The chess thing was pure fail.

I always avoided it, money over bitches -smug smiley thing-

Tried a stupid "eat everything" path -- was pretty lame/boring. more fun to be devious and encourage weird shenanigans.

sqeecoo

Arcane

5% Brutality vs. 95% Finesse

83% Cunning vs. 17% Honor

72% Disdain vs. 28% Vigilance

Infamy: 63%

Wealth: 22900 gold coins

Blasphemy: 2

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Mikayel said:

I'm curious if stats will either allow/disallow options all together - like too low cunning won't let you question the summoned fiends or notice the projection not reacting to you wasting its pentagrams.

I did that battle full on with a character that was almost maxed in Brutality and didn't run into that trap since I devastated the army.

Murk

Arcane
I Tried again and I Think I got how that fight works. It depends on how effective you are at which path you take - regardless if you lead the charge or set a trap, if you can annihilate the enemy then they do not have a retreating force which requires a pursuing raid from you. If, however, they do have a fleeing force and you give chase that is when you come across the effigy trap that can be avoided if you have high disdain.

I rather liked that set up they had going for it.

Also, it seems that if you are infamous enough you can simply scare off any intruders from your lair when you hibernate with the "none shall dare" option.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought it hadn't any, but that is a nice example of C&C.

How humiliating for the "industry".

Zyrxil

Scholar

14% Brutality vs. 86% Finesse

88% Cunning vs. 12% Honor

66% Disdain vs. 34% Vigilance

Infamy: 51%

Wealth: 17150 gold coins

Blasphemy: 0

Avu

Liturgist
I managed to get the wizard to help when I had high infamy by threatening him instead of asking nicely. I was also high brutality so that might have done the trick.

Coyote

Arcane
Has anyone gotten anything interesting out of the goblin hero? No matter what I do, he dies without making much of a difference (you can kill him yourself, send him to a neighboring kingdom/Axilmeus to get killed, or send him to your capital where he'll be killed immediately or treated as a hero, at which point he goes to a neighboring kingdom and gets killed).

Latest play:

84% Brutality vs. 16% Finesse

73% Cunning vs. 27% Honor

43% Disdain vs. 57% Vigilance

Infamy: 90%

Wealth: 20400 gold coins

Wounds: 1

Blasphemy: 1

Not a bad haul considering I didn't prioritize wealth and I got injured intentionally - I wanted to see what stopping short and breathing fire at the illusion would do, even though I knew turning away was the better option. Incidentally, high infamy apparently doesn't have any effect on whether a mate comes to you if you say you'll just wait for one to come to you.

Also, you can stay up for a while before hibernating with high vigilance; I did 20 years with my previous char. I think it may increase wealth some via tribute, not sure.

Zed said:
But I did spare the wizard ally in the end... I regret that, setting up a magical trap didn't work anyway.

Yeah, I thought he might have some interesting effect later on, but apparently all the option does is affect stats or something.

Atomic said:
I tried to impress my mate by playing a game of chess (!?). I failed miserably :cry:

Only works with chars high in cunning. And only on the dragon who "whispers in the ears of kings" (can't remember which one that is), I think - others get offended by losing. The water one likes you if you show finesse. The worshipped one likes you if you're infamous. And I'm guessing the green goes for brutality. Bribery may work on some, but it didn't work the time I tried it on the worshipped one.

spacemoose

Erudite
which is a good bit of bullshit. when has anyone been attracted to anyone based on their performance - mental or physical.

the only two options that work should have been the showing-off-your-wealth and the showing-off-your-infamy ones

Murk

Arcane
spacemoose said:
which is a good bit of bullshit. when has anyone been attracted to anyone based on their performance - mental or physical.

never gotten called back for your dick, moosiah?

spacemoose

Erudite
that's post-hoc issues

moose dick won't help you in getting to the point where you whip it out

and with sufficient wealth and charisma, it won't matter at all

Black Cat

Magister

4% Brutality vs. 96% Finesse

49% Cunning vs. 51% Honor

73% Disdain vs. 27% Vigilance

Infamy: 52%

Wealth: 16750 gold coins

Wounds: 1

Blasphemy: 0

That was pretty fun and stuffies, but i guess i'm, like, too nice for this evil dragon business, nya. Managed to go through all of it without wounds until the very end, were i tought the, like, wrecking ball approach of dragon plus wizard versus tower would be the safer one, sob sobity sob.

Murk

Arcane
spacemoose said:
that's post-hoc issues

moose dick won't help you in getting to the point where you whip it out

and with sufficient wealth and charisma, it won't matter at all

you have given much to think about sir, much to think about indeed...

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Black Cat said:
That was pretty fun and stuffies, but i guess i'm, like, too nice for this evil dragon business, nya. Managed to go through all of it without wounds until the very end, were i tought the, like, wrecking ball approach of dragon plus wizard versus tower would be the safer one, sob sobity sob.

I still can't get over this fucking shit, nya. Tremendous work :monocle:
And now we rage.
:rage:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
With your finesse a front door would be a breeze isn't it? Have you get the correct partner?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom