Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need a sandbox

Well, not necessarily a sandbox in the strictest sense: I want a game where I'm free to grow endlessly, with lots of equipment and/or toon customizability.
Like UFO: Enemy Unknown, Jagged Alliance 2, Mount & Blade, Frontier/Privateer-likes, your average console "tactics"...
Not too old, I can't stand clunky interfaces or horrible controls (Monster Hunter, I'm speaking of you). No roguelikes (Dwarf Fortress, I'm speaking of you), I'm not a graphics whore but I'd like not to suffer more than necessary.
The platform is not important, as long as it can be emulated on my low end rig. Nothing more powerful than a PSP.
I'm trying Valkyria Chronicles II which seems intriguing but the story is retarded and battles are somewhat underwhelming because of the maps.

Avoid obvious suggestions as mods of the aforementioned games, X series, Wing Commander spin offs, the most famous "tactics" of old times, impossible to donwl- to find games or just troll suggestions, please.

DefJam101

Arcane
Darkfall 1 was fun but you're late to the party. Don't play Darkfall 2. It's terrible.

Maybe try a heavily, heavily modded X3? Interface will still be somewhat clunky no matter what you do, though.

If MMOs are okay and you like complex character development combined with open, sandboxy, lore-heavy worlds:

There's a Star Wars Galaxies (pre-shitWoW update that ruined everything) emulator server up and running that seems to have literally thousands of players. I haven't checked it out yet but it might be up your alley: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 are both still running.

UO on a private shard

Oh, well, of course erase Morrowind as well, and nothing by Paradox: they sent me all their games already.
And no MMORPGs please, I already had my share of suffering, unless they have a cool crafting system and are not strictly pay2win (I so miss Atlantica...) or they're Tabula Rasa.

I'm all for hard to master games but definitely not for those with also harsh death penalties, they'd only force me to savescum.

I'd settle for some city builder too, it'd be cool to have something along the lines of the old Deuteros on Amiga.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Games from Deep Shadow devs (defuncted) like Boiling Point: Road to Hell or Precursor (required original voice pack)?

Interesting suggestions, I absolutely loved Boiling Point's installer music but game's bugs and interface utterly hated me.
Precursors and maybe all the others are infected with Starforce, I don't know if it messes with W7 too but I'm not brave enough to check.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
- King of Dragon Pass lets you lead a disfunctional celtic clan through the ages, resolving disputes between cursing witch bitches and psycho cuckold husbands in the name of Odin.. I mean, Orlanth. Its just 5 bucks on GOG right now.

kodpGame1.jpg

- Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII for PS2, where you play with just one person fighting for fame and fortune in old China. It can be find easily via torrents.

rot3k8_081103_inline_02a.jpg

- Taikou Risshiden V is the ultimate sengoku jidai sandbox game - you can even be a prostitute - but you need to learn japanese to play it.

1.jpg

("suck my balls now, bitch")

Last edited:
I can't KODP, for some reason I just can't understand the rules underneath the game and soon my clan starves, is slaughtered by ducks and all its heroes die fighting unbeatable legendary creatures.

Nothing for PS2, my computer will emulate it too slow. I think I played the IX on PC, by the way.

Looks like this is going to be a difficul task :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom