Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need more Eurojank like Risen and Two Worlds 2

Since you seem to enjoy the mental anguish that playing Two Worlds inevitably causes, why not play Vendetta - Curse of Raven's Cry? I imagine you'd enjoy it since it's just Two Worlds squeezed into a setting more or less like Risen's, minus the Titans. They've probably patched out most of the glaring issues by now, I imagine.

Curratum

For some reason, I found the janky and random (quirky and unusual!) world of TW2 very fun to explore. However, I can't stomach pirate games in general, I like fantasy much more.

Maybe try to find cheap deals on the eleventy story DLCs for TW2?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Elex and most games by Spiders (except for Faery: Legends of Avalon, it's pure and utter shit). Spiders games are more story focused and linear but provide cool locations and combat with acceptable levels of jank.

Narushima

Cipher
The Realms of Arkania remakes by Crafty Studios?
I've not played them, actually, but I'd be interested, if someone has an opinion on them.

bec de corbin

Educated
The Realms of Arkania remakes by Crafty Studios?
I've not played them, actually, but I'd be interested, if someone has an opinion on them.
They're a lot more user-friendly and have tooltips and fancy art and all that other stuff you expect from a remake, which sounds good, but then all the 3d assets are cheap as dirt unity store assets, so it's really fucking weird and all over the place trying to play them. For example, sometimes you're wandering around the map and some bears attack, which is fine, but then they illustrate this with a premade bear t-posing in a field and... you know, maybe just don't show a picture if it's going to be that?

I'd definitely say to check out Elex, it's the most close to Risen PB has gotten since it

Funposter

Arcane
Is Elex ok? I don't like a single PB game that is not Risen 1 and that stopped me from buying it...

ELEX is easily the best game in this thread, if you judge video games by any conventional method. It's not great imo, but it is quite good and definitely worth your time.

Sotomonte

Educated
For example, sometimes you're wandering around the map and some bears attack, which is fine, but then they illustrate this with a premade bear t-posing in a field and... you know, maybe just don't show a picture if it's going to be that?

I solved that by swapping all art based on 3D designs for illustrations ... much better.

vazha

Arcane
Demonicon is the epitome of an enjoyable eurojank. If you arent averse to slavjank, you might want to try Corsair series as well.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Demonicon is the epitome of an enjoyable eurojank. If you arent averse to slavjank, you might want to try Corsair series as well.

What are the games in Corsair series?
- Corsairs (aka Sea Dogs in the west);
- Corsairs 2 (aka Pirates of Caribbean in the west);
- Corsairs 3 (aka Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales in the west);
- Corsairs 3 - Return of the Legend (standalone expansion, was never released in the west);
- Corsairs 3 - City of Abandoned Ships (second standalone expansion, in the west it's known as Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships);
- Corsairs - To Each his Own (third standalone expansion, in the west it is known as Sea Dogs: To Each His Own).

Corsairs games are simulationist sandbox rpgs with a focus on trading/naval combat, the series is closer to Mount and Blade than to Risen/Two worlds.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm a bit perplexed about the term "eurojank", what does it actually mean? Are we talking about technical glitches, like NPCs walking through terrain/walls etc, bad animation and stuff like that? That's my guess, but then, many American games often have the same issues (pretty much anything from Bethesda).

Dunno, I haven't really noticed any difference in glitchiness or polish between European and American games. Well, at least non-AAA RPG games. Let's take ELEX as a recent example, what's wrong with it, why is it "eurojank"? Sure it had a few glitches and some quest bugs, but these were so minor that they didn't detract at all from the experience, in my opinion.

I'm even more confused about calling the Witcher series janky, they seem a lot more polished to me than any Bethesda game.

But then, I'm originally from Europe, so maybe you have to grow up in America to be sensitive to these issue. I don't get why people complain about the voice acting and dialogue in Gothic and ELEX either, to me they are just fine. Maybe it's a cultural thing, people in PB games are brief and to the point, no smalltalk. Definitely that has a German vibe to it, which I quite like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom