Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need more Eurojank like Risen and Two Worlds 2

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Blackguards is also good.

Blackguards 1 is grate but it's not really eurojank. The term usually describes triple A ambition combined with low-budget execution.

And G1/G2 aren't eurojank either, not really. Back then everything was jank since the triple A cancer wasn't a thing yet.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Well, that was my idea too before people confused me in this thread... ELEX if perhaphs not exactly an AAA game, it's pretty good and "polished" enough (my biggest complaint was the lack of inventory categories). And Gothic 1-2 were perfectly fine when they were released (e.g. compared to Morrowind).
Going by this thread, I'd say it's just used to try and overlook the fact that all Amerimutt (action)RPGs are forgettable junk these days.

It's used way too broadly to be anything else.

bec de corbin

Educated
It's because American AA games are seen as trash that try and fail to be "triple A" games, but European AA games are cool and take risks. To find the interesting american stuff you gotta go really, really cheap

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's because American AA games are seen as trash that try and fail to be "triple A" games, but European AA games are cool and take risks. To find the interesting american stuff you gotta go really, really cheap

Ok, so it's the "bigger = better" mentality, which is more of an American thing.

I wonder why there aren't more mid-sized game companies in the USA though. To throw in some more cultural stereotypes, maybe it's because they're more money oriented people in general, so they want to "make it big", which means competing with AAA games, which means hiring tons of 3D artists, which means they need investors/shareholders, and that's how you effectively lose control over your company (shareholders just follow the money, they don't give much shit about the games). Maybe they just have this pressing need to find a way to be able to afford healthcare insurance... :shittydog:

Piranha Bytes has 32 employees according to Wikipedia, and I remember reading it somewhere that it is (or it used to be) completely employee owned, so they have their destiny in their own hands. Also, ELEX was partially funded by the EU (some cultural grant they give to game developers). I guess the situation is similar for all smaller European game studios, and they're just content with staying small(er).

But then there's Iron Tower Studio, and I assume Vault Dweller is American. So there's exceptions, but I'm still curious why aren't there more small studios like this in the USA (after all, it's a pretty big country).

PS: there's Stoic too, just saw on Wikipedia they're from Texas (I was under the impression they were Canadians).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom