Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I owe an apology to Shadowrun: Dragonfall

I have said this elsewhere, but IMHO Hong Kong is the best of the Shadowrun games. It has the slight inconvenience that you have to check a bunch of NPCs in the hub between missions to make sure you don't miss any hints on how to obtain each of the multiple endings (especially the best one), but the cast of characters is much better than Dragonfall's. Where DF companions were mopey and emo, HK are fun (especially the rat shaman and the hacker - the hacker's quest is the shit - also Racter has no cock or balls but still enjoys life) and at least they aren't a bunch of fucking lice-ridden German anarchists, that's always a bonus.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
must've passed the midway point and I'm so hooked that even with a carpal tunnel syndrome disabling my hands I keep on playing (with my feet.. no, I'm no Chinese, game is simple enough it's doable on the PS4 controller).
Please post pics.
My feet are ugly. I would burn my chances with karoliner .

(would gain points with Kruno though, got this black toe nail result of an old football bruise that would give him a boner)
My PM box is always open, my dude.

I'll give all of your posts ITT a Goldfist if you do it.

Silva

Arcane
FritzedProcess , I usually go with you old fella, but here I can't. Hong Kong felt like some wannabe writer's wetdream, with each dialogue a dozen prhases in excess and endless descriptions of futile crap. I don't play vidyas for that shit.

I agree those companions are great though. Gaichu, Racter, the rat shaman, awesome stuff. Only Isobel didn't gel for me.

Utfärd

You've gone soft and gay like Tim Cain. Dongfall "writing" is utter shit and you have no excuse.

Falksi

Arcane
In a world full of shit RPG series, Shadowrun is one of the few which has way more good than bad.

I'd rank 'em
1. Dragonfall
2. Returns
3. SEGA version
4. SNES version
5. Hong Kong

Only Hong Kong failed to hook me until the end, largely because of it's God-awful forever conversations.
Aside from Returns (which I hated) my rank is more or less similar. As a gameplay first guy, Genesis is top spot for me. But I could see Dragonfall taking the second place from SNES. Let's see.

There's a nat's nacker for me between those top 3. On another day when I'm in a more consoley mood the SEGA version could easily take top spot.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
DragonFall is the best for the characters, story and non-matrix tactical situations. Hong Kong has the best tactical situation that combine the matrix and the real world, but as everyone said, too verbose and poorly written. I like Shadowrun Returns as a packed experience, and I ironmaned it without even trying (I never had to reload ^^), but it has to be played first.

I have played the other ShadowRun RPG, but I played the Dex RPG which was, er, mediocre.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Was it Dragonfall that had background NPCs that dumped bits of lore after each mission? There was a wirehead NPC I talked to but then the game managed to lose its state and the dialogue looped from the beginning, not letting me reach its end before it ended. Bummer.

almondblight

Arcane
I'll just copy what I wrote elsewhere comparing Dragonfall and Hong Kong. I forgot to mention that Dragonfall often had combat situations involved a few strong enemies, whereas "challenge" in Hong Kong almost always involves throwing cheap cannon fodder at you:

SR:HK is a pretty steep decline from DF: DC. Probably the biggest problem was the mission design - there just weren't any missions as good as Dragonfall’s, and there were barely any challenging fights. Dragonfall also had a decent amount of non-combat gameplay. For instance, in a single mission in DF you have a choose your own adventure type element where you're sneaking up on an employee (with skillchecks as well), then you have an office where you have to guess the password for the computer by looking at hints on the guys personal devices, then you have a dialogue with the cleaning person you have to successfully navigate to not get the alarm raised (which is more complicated than the usual "Etiquette Cleaning: Is that a model 450F broom? Awesome! You won't call security, right?" stuff you get in HK).

In HK, you're mostly just clicking on every hotspot to trigger the next event (kind of like SRR). The only exceptions to this I can think of are the broken PDA in the bonus campaign and the knapsack puzzle in the museum mission (there's also a guess the password puzzle in the museum mission, but it requires that you Google it). You also get the feeling that they were trying to do more complex things, but didn’t have the time to do them correctly. You’re left with silly stuff like walking up to a cook who doesn’t know you at all and telling them they should poison their guest for being demanding (they readily agree), or walking up to another cook that doesn’t know you at all and telling them they should help you break into the apartment of their guest because the guest is demanding (different mission; they also readily agree).

The combat was a cakewalk 98% of the time. Part of this might stem from the lack of a Very Hard difficulty mode, but it's also because less attention was paid to encounter design in general. For instance, Dragonfall used turrets well in a number of missions. I don't think they showed up in HK at all, except that you could use them yourself in one part of the bonus campaign. The only two encounters I thought were decent were the one in the lobby during the fengshui mission (if you shoot your way in and don't try to sneak through the lobby) and the final fight in the bonus campaign. Dragonfall had a number of challenging encounters, so the lack of them in HK was pretty disappointing.

The backer content is also terrible. You have a lot of runners looking like comic-con attendees, and of course they all have to be super nice people. Shadowlands in Dragonfall seemed like an online forum for shadowrunners, and in HK it seemed like Reddit.

A lot of little touches were missing. There seemed to be a lot fewer checks than in Dragonfall. Definitely more racial checks (I don't remember any in HK), but also skill checks. They barely used e-mail, whereas it was used quite well in Dragonfall (people in the hub contacting you about updates, people from previous runs contacting you to catch up, etc.). They also did away with the claim payment system from Dragonfall (not a big thing, but it was a nice touch).

As for the writing - as others have said, the quantity isn’t an issue so much as the text dump nature of it. Dragonfall had some pretty text heavy sequences (like the team meetings or the conversation with Vauclair), but I always enjoyed it. SRHK is bad because it has really boring walls of text, and there’s little interaction from your character (other than selecting one of three different variations of “go on” every few paragraphs).

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been playing the switch version not expecting much, and was really surprised to have a full-fledged skill check Story/ lore-heavy, Tactical CRPG, Trust the RPGCODEX top list.

Only problem that has made me quit for now are multiple Soft-Lock unable to end combat or continue(Mainly Because of enemies on other inaccessible floors / matrix etc) bugs in Dragonfall:
Searching them on google shows steam forums bug reports from 2014, so don`t think they cleaned them up much for the console release.

Codex Year of the Donut
Only problem that has made me quit for now are multiple Soft-Lock unable to end combat or continue(Mainly Because of enemies on other inaccessible floors / matrix etc) bugs in Dragonfall:
Searching them on google shows steam forums bug reports from 2014, so don`t think they cleaned them up much for the console release.
Some of the branching paths towards the end-ish are completely inaccessible due to how buggy the game is. Been that way for years now, they don't care at all.
Saddest part is that it wasn't this buggy at launch, this is something they added with patches.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honk Konk has the grenade chucker-back arm though.

Most entertaining thing in the series, both because of how it works in-game and because of the immense butthurt it caused on forums (MUH OP)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honk Konk has the grenade chucker-back arm though.

Most entertaining thing in the series, both because of how it works in-game and because of the immense butthurt it caused on forums (MUH OP)
And then they let enemies have it in the expansion which meant you had to take the first shot with grenades everytime.
Think the expansion to HK had far better fights than the base game.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Dragonfall probably has the best soundtrack of any RPG.

I finished Hong Kong too and despite it being not as good, I still like it more than the first one. The Lovecraftian final fight is quite memorable. Also liked the Russian and his mecha-spider.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Dragonfall probably has the best soundtrack of any RPG.

I finished Hong Kong too and despite it being not as good, I still like it more than the first one. The Lovecraftian final fight is quite memorable. Also liked the Russian and his mecha-spider.

The entire Dragonfall OST is excellent. I love this track in particular, No Overkill - so epic and elegaic, and 80s nostalgic too:-

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Dragonfall is definitely the best of the three but still it's an overrated tablet game with ZERO replayability. You can see everything in one playthrough (with one or two reloads at certain moments), it's very linear, there is no interaction plus the fights aren't that good. It's not bad for a single playthrough but that's it. Fallout Tactics is more "RPG-ish" and more replayable than this thing and that says something. And if you play SR first, the difference between it and SD isn't that great. Its strongest points are setting and music but there's not much freedom, there's zero exploration, dialogues are rather shallow and all quests are basically fights, there is no other option.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Dragonfall is definitely the best of the three but still it's an overrated tablet game with ZERO replayability. You can see everything in one playthrough (with one or two reloads at certain moments), it's very linear, there is no interaction plus the fights aren't that good. It's not bad for a single playthrough but that's it. Fallout Tactics is more "RPG-ish" and more replayable than this thing and that says something. And if you play SR first, the difference between it and SD isn't that great. Its strongest points are setting and music but there's not much freedom, there's zero exploration, dialogues are rather shallow and all quests are basically fights, there is no other option.
The greatest replayability is being fun. Dungeon Rats is also a linear run of fights, but it's replayable because it's fun. Dragonfall isn't as good as Dungeon Rats (aesthetics are better, mechanics and encounter design are worse), but it's still pretty good.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Npc_humanfemale_glory.png

Absolute best babe and a reason enough to play.

Silva

Arcane
Will the others be as good as that?
Apparently no. I think I did all at this point, Glory story mission is the apex of em all.

By the way, reaching endgame and now combat is actually fun because it's possible to pull out actual tricks and tactics (Eiger sniping is sick) instead of fighting the RNG. A shame game gets even easier though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom