Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Present To You The Scrappiest Little Dev Ever...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FUCK YOU YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT! I am nobody's fukkin' alt!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Don't power my anger! You won't lie it when my anger is powered.

Anyways, read the thread linked, and come back for some serious bizness dikussion.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
Don't power my anger! You won't lie it when my anger is powered.

Anyways, read the thread linked, and come back for some serious bizness dikussion.

What's more to say? hatchetman77 blasts your arguments like silly putty here:

"Actually real herpy derpy is saying someone is wrong without saying why they are wrong. It is actually almost an admission to the correctness of the statement you are trying to rebute as you are basically saying "I don't agree with what you are saying but I have no good arguments against it".

I consider non jRPG to be a niche market. BioWare's fame has exploded exponentially since the release of DA:O and ME2. It was famous in RPG circles before (and probably within the Star Wars video game subculture with KotOR) but the GTA, CoD type fans have never heard of it until the last year or so. Gross profit is NOT what is going to make or break a company, it will be Net profit. Releasing a game that hurts your reputation hurts future sales and causes you to increase your advertising budget, which is also a loss that can be attributed to that game. An established franchise that underpreforms is a loss (it is STILL profit you could have had but don't). Just counting the amount of units sold does not indicate the success of a game for purposes other than advertising or spin. Now those are the points in my thread. Much is opinion I agree. Some could probably be found in marketing textbooks. Unless you have some way to directly counter my opinions then please don't quote me just to say you think I'm wrong. Just post your own opinion in a different post all together without referencing mine at all. "

How is a company whose every game gets cover after cover, two-page article after two-page article as far back as I can remember considered an 'indie' company.

I still remember the gi-normous stories they used to do for Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire (which I enjoyed quite a bit).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's kind of retarded to think of bioware as a small company. They've been at the forefront of RPG development (for better or worse) since BG2.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Captain Shrek said:
"Actually real herpy derpy is saying someone is wrong without saying why they are wrong. It is actually almost an admission to the correctness of the statement you are trying to rebute as you are basically saying "I don't agree with what you are saying but I have no good arguments against it".

That's the best description of volly that I've ever seen.

Reconite said:
Why bother arguing with Biotar-

Oh, it's a Volourn thread.

Carry on.

I'm not arguing with him, I'm reading a thread wherein he argues with a bunch of folks who have 'the little engine that could' image of Bioware, and worry about DA2 being a failure because it's not burning up every other game out there.

He's the one telling them "You're kidding, right."

Remember, here he's considered a Biotard. There, surrounded by people who live and breathe Bioware, he's just a few steps short of the raving madman Bioware criticizer.

Shades of :rpgcodex:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"welll technically they were independant for their first 10 years."

Independent, yes, but not little or 'scrappy'. And, they certain weren't any of those when DA1 came out just two years ago. BIO lost the right to be called 'scrappy small indy dev' when BG became a smash hit 10+ years ago.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It should also be pointed out that the CoD fanbase didn't even exist in its current form back when KotOR1 was published, and GTA fanbase still consisted largely of real gamers back then too.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
At what point does an independent company stop being "indie" and become part of the establishment? Technically EA itself is independent....

easychord

Liturgist
EA is a corporation traded on the stock markets so I don't think that you can call them independent. Given a choice between making cool games for their customers or sucking off Michael Pachter they would drop to their knees without hesitation.

:M

But what is a real indie anyway, who knows? What is an RPG? If an Indie RPG dropped on to the market and nobody heard it land would it still get made up sales figures on VGChartz for people to discuss?

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
People usually don't understand how soulless their favorite game developers/musicians are

So at the time DA:O began, the only cult following they had was BG. The OP is right when he says Bioware was not a house name. Bioware was responsible for much of its own funding. Would Bioware technically be considered an indie developer? No, just for the reason alone they were too large at the time. But the characterization is accurate nonetheless, in that they had the freedom and ability to make the game they wanted to at the time.
Of course it's all a semantic misunderstanding

Topher

Cipher
Spectacle said:
At what point does an independent company stop being "indie" and become part of the establishment? Technically EA itself is independent....

I'd say that it stops being independent when it becomes publicly traded.

angerpowered

Novice
I rather like valve.

I'd like it if they made a few changes to steam so people can stop bitching.
I would like it if they stopped with the goddamn tf2 clothing crap and work on ep 3 and HL3.

I also rather like the half life universe. It's so very strange. The story isn't original but the artwork, action setpieces, and atmosphere is great. I also love the source engine. Fuck all you haters, hl2 was the hottest shit when it got released and my jaw dropped when I played it for the first time. It will always have a spot in my heart. I don't know why. Just, playing source games feels so smooth and clean and well...fun.

I also like how they are good to small devs. Minerva? Can't wait. Gary's mod? Love it. Releasing the source code is awesome.

I take it back. I don't like them. I love them. I'll always remember them. Always.
For shame, bioware. For shame.

I figure it's either when the company gets a parent company, or has publicly traded stocks with investors to answer to.

Either way they are obligated to someone, so they are not "Independent".

There might be a few other scenarios I am not thinking of.

Usually when people say "Indie" they mean small groups though.

Hmm... is Valve publicly traded? Google was Independent for a long time until their IPO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom