Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Inquisitor - alternate timeline where Jesus came off the cross and killed the non-believers

spectre

Arcane
Jesus would have never done that.
Well, if we go by the gospels, flipping tables and whipping people isn't exactly out of character.
Want to fuck around and find out what happens when you push the (Son of) Man?
Jesus_Chasing_the_Merchants_from_the_Temple.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
Jesus would have never done that.
Well, if we go by the gospels, flipping tables and whipping people isn't exactly out of character.
Want to fuck around and find out what happens when you push the (Son of) Man?
Jesus_Chasing_the_Merchants_from_the_Temple.jpg
Well, if you read the books there are some suggestions that

Jesus did actually die on the cross and what went down, killed the Romans and set up the inverted version of Christianity was the Beast wearing his skin.
Whether that's true or not is debatable.

Acrux

Arcane
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Morgoth, but this literally is heresy. Without Christ's death on the cross, there is no resurrection. This is THE fundamental tenet of Christianity. Islam claims Christ did not die on the cross.

https://www.orthodoxpath.org/catechisms-and-articles/why-did-christ-have-to-die-for-us/

Athanasian Creed said:
He suffered death for our salvation. He descended into hell and rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

Apostles' Creed said:
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

Harthwain

Magister
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Morgoth, but this literally is heresy. Without Christ's death on the cross, there is no resurrection. This is THE fundamental tenet of Christianity. Islam claims Christ did not die on the cross.
It is, in a world in which the Christ died and was resurrected.

But there was also a world in which the Christ was alive he was also teaching and had followers (before he has been crucified). So it is not improbable for that kind of Christanity to exist and develop differently, provided Christ doesn't die.

Acrux

Arcane
Sorry, dude, but that's bad theology.

Revelation 13:8 said:
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

1 Peter 1:18-21 said:
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life you inherited from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or spot. He was known before the foundation of the world, but was revealed in the last times for your sake. Through Him you believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and glorified Him; and so your faith and hope are in God.

Harthwain

Magister
It does not compute. Or, in other words, you're missing the point.

The book you're quoting was made AFTER the Christ died for our sins, so obviously it is going to make his sacrifice for our sins the key point. But if you take the sacrifice out... The equation changes, doesn't it? As a result your quotations are proof of nothing, because we're talking about the alternate reality. The one where Christ did not die for out sins and punished those who tried to kill him instead. If anything in this world YOU are considered a heretic, because the Lord surely couldn't have been so weak as to let himself be killed by the unbelievers.

wishbonetail

Learned
I hope this will be somehow implemented into the gameplay.

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."

So, lets say, i decide to jerk off with my left hand, should i cut it off with my right hand? But if i want to jerk off still with my remaining hand, should i ask my fellow christianites to cut it off? Of course it would be hard to wank either way if i am already blind.

Acrux

Arcane

The book you're quoting was made AFTER the Christ died for our sins, so obviously it is going to make his sacrifice for our sins the key point. But if you take the sacrifice out... The equation changes, doesn't it? As a result your quotations are proof of nothing, because we're talking about the alternate reality. The one where Christ did not die for out sins and punished those who tried to kill him instead. If anything in this world YOU are considered a heretic, because the Lord surely couldn't have been so weak as to let himself be killed by the unbelievers.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it supposes God is constrained inside of time (or inside a single instance of a multiverse), but by definition He would have to be outside of temporal limitations to be God. Plus, there's all the Old Testament prophecies of the suffering servant, and Theophanies of Christ, not to mention history that would have to be different for this to happen. I contend that in any version of reality, this would have to be a constant.

Now, that being said it's a work of fiction, so the author can do whatever he wants in his world. It's still heresy. Not having read the books, I wonder what things in the world are different: Does Christ rule bodily from a throne somewhere? Is the 2nd Temple of Solomon still standing? Are there still sacrifices for atonement? Does "Christianity" exist? If it does, it probably looks more like Islam (which wouldn't exist). Did he punish the Romans and the Sanhedrin? This does mean Talmudic Judiaism wouldn't exist (incline).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
these niggas unironically attempting to discuss theology in a thread about an edgy pastiche book turned into a shitty game
cant blame them, not like original work got translated?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
At least they won't have to work hard on their marketing campaign. This kind of stuff puts itself out there.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Is this The Witcher™ but edgy?
Yeah, that's close enough, but the witcher had 5 tomes and here we have like 14, and the books to the mc's parents after around 4 tomes, then to his teacher, etc. There is still lore in them, but the main course of action was kind of sidetracked.

Sunri

Liturgist
I liked the books when I was young they are on par with Witcher books so not a masterpiece but something fun to read and kill some time the biggest problem with them was that the author use the same phrases in every book so after reading 2/3 of them you can start skipping pages at least main hero is likeable he's competent but still down to earth without special powers and shit, and he gets fucked both by his superiors and demonic hoes so that quite cool I hope that they won't make him some invincible mofo in the game.
cykl-inkwizytorski-jacek-piekara-10-ksiazek.jpg

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Except for the fact that many of the books prophesying Yeshua were written hundreds of years before he was born like Isaiah and Daniel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom