Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I try Gothic,and it is really not my type of game

Zanzoken

Arcane
I have played Gothic 1, Gothic 2, and Elex, and it seems the key to enjoying Piranha Bytes is being able to tolerate the jank in order to enjoy the good qualities. All of their games kind of march to their own beat, but if you push past the initial learning curve and teach yourself to play the games how they want to be played, you can have a lot of fun.

Despite a few frustrations here and there I thoroughly enjoyed G1 and Elex, and played each of them all the way through in the space of a few days. Surprisingly however I stalled out on G2, which is unusual because most people seem to feel G2 is PB's best game. The irony is I actually agree with them... G2 is a great game... my issue was really with the Night of the Raven expansion, which not only adds additional content but significantly enhances the difficulty of the base game. By several accounts NotR was originally designed for veteran players on their second or later playthroughs, but if you buy G2 on GOG then NotR automatically comes bundled in the installer.

I don't hate NotR but it does require a more power-gamey approach, which if you're a first-time player (or just not into that) can turn the game into a difficult slog. I was thoroughly bored and burned out by the time I reached the Jharkendar section, and couldn't bring myself to keep playing.

I've heard if you contact GOG support they will provide you with an alternate installer that includes just the G2 base game, so one of these days I'll get around to giving that a try.

Ladonna

Arcane
I've heard if you contact GOG support they will provide you with an alternate installer that includes just the G2 base game, so one of these days I'll get around to giving that a try.

I tried this and nobody replied.

Ravielsk

Magister
I have played Gothic 1, Gothic 2, and Elex, and it seems the key to enjoying Piranha Bytes is being able to tolerate the jank in order to enjoy the good qualities. All of their games kind of march to their own beat, but if you push past the initial learning curve and teach yourself to play the games how they want to be played, you can have a lot of fun.

Despite a few frustrations here and there I thoroughly enjoyed G1 and Elex, and played each of them all the way through in the space of a few days. Surprisingly however I stalled out on G2, which is unusual because most people seem to feel G2 is PB's best game. The irony is I actually agree with them... G2 is a great game... my issue was really with the Night of the Raven expansion, which not only adds additional content but significantly enhances the difficulty of the base game. By several accounts NotR was originally designed for veteran players on their second or later playthroughs, but if you buy G2 on GOG then NotR automatically comes bundled in the installer.

I don't hate NotR but it does require a more power-gamey approach, which if you're a first-time player (or just not into that) can turn the game into a difficult slog. I was thoroughly bored and burned out by the time I reached the Jharkendar section, and couldn't bring myself to keep playing.

Just install Gothic Classic.
https://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_230.htm

Its a mod that rebalances the game back to how it was before NotR released.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The unique thing that I don't like about Gothic 2 is that they force you to be a sheep of Innos if you wanna be a magician. Luckly, returning allows me to play as a Glorious Xardas apprentice aka necromancer.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It helps to remember that most of the codex worships gothic because they couldn't afford to buy video games and it was given away for free in eastern europe gaming magazines.

Even in Eastern Europe everyone was playing something else. Gothic was inferior to its contemporaries (it was the RPG Renaissance) and considered jank even back then. It was honestly something you pick up from the CD store when there is a summer drought.

JDR13

Arcane
First,I know it is a classic,and I know a lot of people like it,I don't want to talk shit to people's favorite game,but I just feel it is not a good game for me(not bad,just not good)

The combat is awful:
At first when I realize how the combat work ,I really think it is interesting,it feel like a clumsy dark soul.Then I finally realize the importance of level and attribute.It is almost impossible to fight a enemy "higher level" than you. As a RPG , you master the combat system not by full understand the game mechanism then develop a good strategy or build, but by grinding and be patient,that doesn't sound a selling point to me

the magic system is ok,the range combat is boring and the melee combat make my finger hurt(why you always need to press two key ?)

The pace of the game is too slow:
The map is not big,but the character's movement speed is really really slow.And the speed of opening the map,the speed of climb a ladder!!!!
feel like you need to spend 3 hour to enjoy 1 hour of content

And the other thing like story,lore,character,quest really didn't surprise me,consider this game publish in 2001 even earlier than morriwind and NW1 make it really a good game,but feel like it is not my cup of tea

OctavianRomulus

Learned
You're right, you should play bloated shit like Ass Creed instead. I have a feeling you will find the taste of shit exquisite.

Cat Dude

Savant
If you could compromise horrible combat animation that everyone here seems to always overlook then that's the game for you to enjoy regardless

Ravielsk

Magister
If you could compromise horrible combat animation that everyone here seems to always overlook then that's the game for you to enjoy regardless

Nobody is overlooking anything here. We are just aware that a small middle market game from 2001 is never going to have the same level of polish as AAA blockbusters and collectively assume that others are capable of taking that fact into account when starting the game themselves.

What's with people complaining about the controls? You can play Gothic 1 easily with your left hand only. If you played the game for more than 2 hours and still didn't master the controls, you might be a fucking retard.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I think I've done around 8 playthroughs of G2 over the years. But they've been like this:
  1. Classic: Paladin
  2. Classic: Mage
  3. Classic: Merc
  4. NotR: Merc
  5. NotR: Merc
  6. NotR: Merc
  7. NotR: Merc
  8. NotR: Merc
Tempted to do another Mage run. For the 1st time in 15+ years, and for the 1st time in NotR.

... but from what I recall, a Mage run is mostly about mindlessly kiting mobs and spamming fire arrows, or fire balls. Until you get OP summons which remove all challenge.

Do you have any advice on how to make a Mage run challenging & enjoyable throughout the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom