Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want another game like Wiz 8(stomp my feet, pull my hair)

Direwolf

Arcane
Bethesda believes that they make World's Best RPGs (tm) and don't want other developers ruining RPGs by not making them a complete Oblivion clone.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Hanover was obviously making a joke about Beth and Wizardy....

I'd love to see the Sir Tech make a come back if medium sized devs using online distribution through things like Steam take off. IIRC, Sir Tech didn't go bankrupt and lose IP right? They did the Troika deal where they just couldn't find a publisher and decided to close shop?

The most heartbreaking part was that Sir Tech was already starting Wiz9 but just couldn't find any financial backing :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will never delete my savegames, just for this remote (im)possibility - Wizardry 9...

Damn. I miss those games... I miss them. Where have RPGs gone? Why don't they come back?

Why...?

Stalin

Scholar
The story ended with the demise of the Dark Savant in W8. It'd have to be a prequel or a spin off. And not the W&W/Dungeon Lords abortions that DW Bradley keeps spewing out

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, they could always find a way. Maybe a 'The Cosmic Lords get attacked by Orz' scenario. One day, the Cosmic Forge breaks for some reason as inter-dimensional creatures attack!

Only the brave band of our seasoned heroes is able to battle the coming evil!!!!

Seriously, I just love the idea of importing characters, even though it was always pretty butchered in the Wizardry games. It was much better in Realms of Arkania, where you actually kept all equipment and all levels and everything. Amazing! Also, it's a good feat to brag about... and it make the game more enjoyable, in a way. Playing Wiz 8 was like a family reunion for me.

Focus: Wiz 8 rules.
Focus2: Did anyone else play it with his(/her - yay, right) Wiz 7 party? Did you think it enriched the game?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
As for importing a party, I did it when switching from the first Eye of the Beholder to the second. My party was a lot better than the generated one, but it all almost evened out during the course of the game, I think. A nice touch.

DemonKing

Arcane
Jasede said:
Seriously, I just love the idea of importing characters, even though it was always pretty butchered in the Wizardry games. It was much better in Realms of Arkania, where you actually kept all equipment and all levels and everything.

I hate when you're allowed to import characters but because the last game was so Monty Haul the designers have to artifically rape all your FAT LEWT off you...it's much more fun when you can keep your stuff.

I believe you could keep it in EOB II, but the Wizardry games usually took it (and a few levels) off you. Don't get me started on the BG -> BG2 debacle. :(

deus

Liturgist
Stalin said:
The story ended with the demise of the Dark Savant in W8. It'd have to be a prequel or a spin off. And not the W&W/Dungeon Lords abortions that DW Bradley keeps spewing out
Granted, I don't have a source handy for this, but Sir-tech was working on a Wizardry 9 after Wizardry 8 shipped but before their closing. It was mentioned in passing in a post mortem interview, so details are non-existant.

Elwro

Arcane
DemonKing said:
I believe you could keep it in EOB II
I'm pretty sure you kept most of it. But e.g. named magical weapons ("Purifier"? I don't remember the names) became just magical weapons +5 or whatever the appropriate bonus was.
Don't get me started on the BG -> BG2 debacle. :(
You mean the loss of the whole inventory?

Stalin

Scholar
After all this talk I started up W8 again with only elites/hybrids and going against every powergaming tip i ever read. And actually having a lot of fun.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes. Wiz 8 is especially entertaining if you /don't/ min-max or powergame. The battles might be harder, but it is much more satisfying and way more fun.

On a mildly amusing note: I just finished Kotor 2 for the first time, aggressively trying not to powergame or min-max and even installing two mods that make the game more difficult. Sadly, there was not a single challenging battle in the whole game, not even a memorable one. Even though my 'jedi' was using nothing more than double blasters and his fancy force lightning, all enemies fell like flies. Just like Kotor 1, it was utterly forgettable - if not for Kreia; her words will be the only thing I will remember from this game in a month, even though I wasted 26 hours of my life with it.

Moral: Old games rule.

KevinV12000

Arcane
This game meant a lot to me. Way back when, when my friend Lance introduced me to computer games through late night sessions at his place with FTL's Dungeon Master, I didn't even really know what a computer was except in the most general way. After just a few hours at the controls of a new game of DM, I was hooked. I just had to have my own computer.

So, I did the reasonable, responsible thing and blew my entire student loan check for that semester on a brand new Amiga 2000 (year: 1989/90, I think. price: $2,200 [!])

Either right then or shortly thereafter, I bought Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. It came on floppies, around 8 or 9 of them. I devoured the rule book, got a handle on the classes (one of the charms of the game was like 1st Edition ADnD: you can't always get an elite class character) and started the journey. I kept a journal and a graph paper pad that I drew exacting maps on. You simply had to do this to have any hope of figuring out what to do next, let alone survive.

The combat was tough, especially in the early levels. But that made the rewards that much sweeter. When I defeated the first really tough monster in the game (zombie, one of the keep's central spires) and found a chest loaded with goodies, I *felt* like my party had accomplished something.

It was a very hard game. I'm not ashamed to admit that on more than one occassion I had to call Sir-Tech's hint line (believe it or not: you actually talked to a real human being on the other side of the call!) to move forward. There is a button sequence puzzle connected to a bridge that had me stumped for days. *Days*.

When I won that game, and the prize was snatched out of my hand after months of effort, I was stunned. My end game save file sat on my Amiga and awaited Wizardry 7.

Wizardry 7 allowed me to import my characters, continuing the story, even making a half-way plausible excuse for lowering them in power. I loved every minute of that game and found it just as difficult and rewarding as Wiz 6.

Then, the ending. Again, my end game save file sat there. In time, I moved on to an IBM format PC, making sure to copy of endgame save file over to a floppy, which was then copied itself. One copy went in my "sir-tech" box, the other in my library.

And there it sat. For *years*. I had almost forgotten about it when the buzz for Wizardry 8 began to pick up in a serious way. And when I finally got it, installed it and it gave me the option to import my characters, I just couldn't believe it! Here these guys were, my virtual adventurers, frozen in time for 10 years awaiting the next stage!

There they were! Iuchi, the Samarai. Hilde, the dwarven Valkyrie. Drogo, the halfling Ninja. Arwen, the elf Bard. Molin, the Bishop. And little Firinia, my pixie Magess. I couldn't believe it.

So much time had passed between the completion of Wiz 7 and my first spin of Wiz 8 that my life had completely changed. Instead of playing alone in a studio apartment, Del Taco burrito at my side and a full ashtray of spent Marlboro Lights, I was playing in my house in Oregon, after my wife and children had gone to bed.

I began to explore the beach area, moved around, made it into the monestary, fought my first battles, solved my first puzzles. After so many years!

And then my baby boy poured a glass of water onto my computer box, detroying it, my hard drive.....and the old floppy with my old save game file on it, left in the drive and long-forgotten.

I never did find my spare, nor the heart to ever load the game again on my old computer.

Voss

Erudite
I think the lesson is not to be a sad little waste of flesh.

1- importing wasn't that different from creating a new party.

2- the fucking game didn't come out that many years ago. It doesn't qualify for this sort of cock sucking nostalgia fest.

Stalin

Scholar
It does since it is the last good rpg ever made unless you count things that look like they are made for the amiga as games which i don't.

Jasede said:
Yes. Wiz 8 is especially entertaining if you /don't/ min-max or powergame. The battles might be harder, but it is much more satisfying and way more fun.

On a mildly amusing note: I just finished Kotor 2 for the first time, aggressively trying not to powergame or min-max and even installing two mods that make the game more difficult. Sadly, there was not a single challenging battle in the whole game, not even a memorable one. Even though my 'jedi' was using nothing more than double blasters and his fancy force lightning, all enemies fell like flies. Just like Kotor 1, it was utterly forgettable - if not for Kreia; her words will be the only thing I will remember from this game in a month, even though I wasted 26 hours of my life with it.

Moral: Old games rule.

I dunno, I thought the dialogues and story as a whole were pretty good. Though it all went to hell in the last few sections, but you can blame LucasArts' ridiculous deadline for that...

Caligula

Novice
Elwro said:
Don't get me started on the BG -> BG2 debacle. :(
It's been a *long* time since I played BG2, but if I remember correctly the game starts in Irenicus's dungeon. If you're going to accept that premise why on Earth would you believe he'd allow you to keep your SKULLCRUSHER +5 of ELF-SMITING!!!1

KevinV12000

Arcane
It's been a *long* time since I played BG2, but if I remember correctly the game starts in Irenicus's dungeon. If you're going to accept that premise why on Earth would you believe he'd allow you to keep your SKULLCRUSHER +5 of ELF-SMITING!!!1

My problem with that is, while you are certainly correct that the premise of the story should prevent the characters from starting with their eqiupment from BG1, the developers told people that portions of your old inventory could be recovered in-game.

To my knowledge, the only item that was so implemented was the Helm of Balduran (sp?). I kept hoping that I would find a chest or a cache later in the game with certain of my past items, but if it was there I missed it.

A minor point, and it certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment of the game, but I think that much-discussed promised "feature" of BG2 is the reason people remember it.

Elwro

Arcane
KevinV12000 said:
To my knowledge, the only item that was so implemented was the Helm of Balduran (sp?).
Well, you can buy it in a shop in BG2 even if you didn't have it in BG1, I think.
I kept hoping that I would find a chest or a cache later in the game with certain of my past items, but if it was there I missed it.A minor point, and it certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment of the game, but I think that much-discussed promised "feature" of BG2 is the reason people remember it.
Hm, it's the first time I hear about the feature. But maybe Poland was hype-free back then :D Fewer disappointments...

wesleyclark

Augur
Caligula wrote:
Elwro wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me started on the BG -> BG2 debacle.

It was "powergame-y", but you could keep your stuff if you wanted. If you paused the game right at the beginning, you could unequip all your stuff. Then, after Irenicus plays with you and leaves, it'd all be there at your feet in the cage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom