Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want another game like Wiz 8(stomp my feet, pull my hair)

It's okay to whine to go along with all the bitching, right? It(including the older ones I would suppose. I haven't played them.), occupies the opposite end of the spectrum when considering the greatness of DA RPG, comparing it to the text adventure with blah combat of PST and Arcanum(havent played fallout yet, and I'm ready to receive your wrath). And wow is the combat great in Wiz 8. I'll just add one more thing I loved about that game, ok two. The chracter creation was so open. Hmm, who should I take on the journey this time? Which magic schools should I focus on? Should I leave room for NPCs? It's the game I played through the most, with PST a close second, and I'm sure I'll try something new Arcanum. I'm still slogging though that one as a charismatic mental magician. Stun em then have Chukka and Sogg chop em up.

Also the items seemed real unique, and every time I found something unidentified, I couldn't wait to see what powers it had. Maybe it was because I had to equip six characters, but items held much more value in that game, same with Gothic and PSt, not so much in Aracanum. That's one of the many problems with Oblivileon. Too much shit, and it ends up all being pretty much the same. Only spent about 20 hours with it until I came to my senses. Neverwinter nights had that problem too, too many chests.
Yep, I've lost faith in most big-name RPGs, and well most big-name things in general. Fuck em, bring on the indie shit.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Arcanum just a text adventure? Are you fucking stupid?

And did you just say Wiz8 has better character creation than Arcanum?

Go away and go play Diablo or some shit.

DemonKing

Arcane
Wizardry 8 was ok - but some of the long, long combats were pretty boring...particularly since you couldn't save mid-combat which meant if you had to leave your computer for any reason you had to do the whole thing over again.

Also I am not that big on games where players are mixing swords and spells against robots and lasers.

TruthDecay

Novice
Truth be told, I couldn't stand playing Wizardry 8 and quit between Arnika and Trynton because I couldn't stand how the monsters in any given area got more powerful as you did. For instance, when I ran back to the monastery after getting the circular key, it took me MORE effort and resources to go from Arnika to the monastery than it did to originally go from the monastery to Arnika because now there were harder enemies lurking on the road and in the monastery. What is the point in levelling up when you can't bash in the heads of enemies you once feared because they are replaced by something worse?

Does the game get really good later on, or should I just give up since I don't particularly enjoy that feature?

spacemoose

Erudite
is there any patch to stop the random monster spawns? I couldn't get into this game just because the combats took so long and were not fun enough ( not bad note, just not fun enough to justify spending 90% of playing the game in combat )

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Levelling wasn't quite all that bad.
Certain areas were always hardcore...and levelling was within a relatively small range.
i.e. when you got high enough level, some areas were always easy.

Pre-determined encounters and monsters weren't levelled at all.

The levelling was handled fifty zillion times better than Oblivious'.
It's scientifically proven.

Oh, and the game seemed hardest earlier on. This is traditional in Wizardry games. Players that can't hack it get broken on the wheel of HaRdKoRe.

crufty

Arcane
I never made it past Wiz7; I remeber the faction relationships were probably the most complex I've ever seen. And the early game was just punishing. Make a wrong turn in the wilderness and hello TPK.

I didn't like the whole group moving as a blob, like one amorphous amalgam. They should have just had a single character and leave it at that. The only reason to have a party is for tactical battles, and leaving position out of battles makes it fairly pointless.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
There is postions in battles in wiz8. Changing positions was key in a lot of difficult battles.

Wiz8 is a great game in a lot of catagories, but I think wiz7 is a far better game. The combat in wiz8 was great, but far to common, repetetive, and long. Everytime I quite playing wiz7 was for the same reasons I quite playing PS:T or BG, the combat was just way to overubundant and too much of a deterent for me to handle, with the good battles being few and far between.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
StraitLacedDeviant said:
The only reason to have a party is for tactical battles, and leaving position out of battles makes it fairly pointless.
Well, it wasn't totally left out - ordering and party formation does have an effect on combat.

I have a soft spot for the "blob with arms and legs" style of game. It's mainly due to nostalgia, I know (all those old BT/EOB/MM/Wiz games), but I don't have any conceptual disconnect between party mechanics and the single FP view that those older games have. In fact, I wish more games came out with that. Possibly rose tinted glasses and all that.

Edit:
Oh, I see Roqua bet me to it.
Thank god for that. I'm not known for my thinking.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I like Wizardry 8 because it's about the best there is in straight up turn-based dungeon crawling.

The game is about leveling, loot and fighting, and it does all very well.

But it's not exactly the greatest RPG when it comes to being an RPG.

Turn-Based Action RPG, just different from the click n' kill sorts.

suibhne

Erudite
Well, actually phase-based, but w/e. :wink:

I loved Wiz8, but I had the same frustration as TruthDecay. I finally just said "meh" and turned the difficulty slider down. The game was still a lot of fun and I'm not competing for hardcoreness in singleplayer mode (at least since beating Marathon 2 in Total Carnage with only fists :lol: ).

Character creation was good (typical Wizardry depth and breadth), level design was phenomenal, combat was frequently interesting, music was fantastic... I really didn't find anything not to love, other than the fact that random encounters with wilderness beasties were generally more difficult than hand-placed, story-driven encounters.

whatusername

Scholar
Where in the world can you find Wiz 8? I've been searching mad for an alternative to teh interwebzzz.

Mantiis

Cipher
Wizards and Warriors is very similar and I found it more fun but it is a little buggy on Windows XP. It is also a rare title.

Stalin

Scholar
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2 was almost as good if not better. And yes soloing as a pixie ninja rocked in wiz 8. Too bad SirTech died

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Stalin said:
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2 was almost as good if not better. And yes soloing as a pixie ninja rocked in wiz 8. Too bad SirTech died
Is Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land TB party-based game?
Yes the solo faerie ninja was great :wink:
Unfortunatelly we won't get another Wiz8 game for a while :(

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shagnak said:
crufty said:
And the early game was just punishing. Make a wrong turn in the wilderness and hello TPK.
Oh yes, indeedy.
Can you say "Deadly Ratkin Ambush"?

Within about 15 turns no less.

Wilderness my ass, I remember walking through a town and being attacked by like 500 flies or some shit, every other movement space. Wiz 8 was like a FP FF, and thats like a Volourn cock sandwich, he might love em, but no thanks.

Stalin

Scholar
theverybigslayer said:
Stalin said:
Is Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land TB party-based game?
Yes the solo faerie ninja was great :wink:
Unfortunatelly we won't get another Wiz8 game for a while :(
TB grid based, very retro, party based and you can only save in town which makes it really the best rpg on PS2 for me

Well, Mr. Llama there is alot of dialogue in Arcanum, and the the main quest is pretty deep and involving. Its not in the same vein as PST, since its main appeal is the open-ended character creation. If you don't read all the dialgoue and the journal closely you won't have any idea what to do, where to go, or what's even going on.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Tale of the Forsaken land was lame. It was some Jap version instead of a Sir-Tech kind and it wasn't really that good. It was actually pretty boring.

I got $10 for it from a used games store, doh.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I want another game like Wiz 8(stomp my feet, pull my hair)

Most Boring game of the year due to tedious combat, weak level design, distracting voice acting, cumbersome interface, questionable story, and respawning leveled monsters?

Wizardry 8.

Wizards and Warriors? Don't make me laugh. I'd rather play a Might and Magic game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom