Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want to try Tamriel Rebuilt

Curratum

Ok, luj1 , you win.

Buttery smooth framerate with code patch and MGE XE. Too bad that the moment there is a city in view, the framerate drops hard again. Went to Ebonheart, even with distant land on at 4 cells, I was getting stable fps, then the moment most of the city came into view, it dropped to around 45 fps.

Game is just too old and poorly optimized and, as OpenMW project people tell me on reddit, it just pushes insane amounts of draw calls when you up the view distance, so your CPU just dies and mine isn't the greatest.

Ah well, back to popamoles.

ferratilis

Magister
I tried to set up OpenMW with Tamriel Rebuilt sometime last year, but didn't like it that much tbh. Vanilla plus is the way to go when it comes to Bethesda games, for me at least. Just spruce up the UI, fix the bugs, fix the physics to be able to play at high refresh rates etc. and you're good to go.

This is the modlist I used instead. Very short and to the point. Also a great way for beginners to learn how to use Wrye Mash. Of course, you can leave out the leveling and magicka regen mods to stay true to vanilla. It will work with or without them. I also added HD fonts. Had only one crash in around 20h of playtime.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2208675449

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Had only one crash in around 20h of playtime.
A nice improvement already compared to original.

Last time I checked OpenMW three years ago it was working nicely and was good to use, but with a fairly limited view distance. I reverted to MGE XE which basically made the game much beautifuler.
I'm still following OpenMW. Last year they made a demo of advanced pathfinding to fix the terrible walking AI. Would be great. No more fights with enemies running back and forth. No more PNJ blocked behind a fence.

ADL

Prophet
I thought OpenMW was basically a prerequisite at this point for Tamriel Rebuilt because the stock engine can't handle it.
Just checked out the 0.47 release candidate build and it looks and runs great on my system with Tamriel Rebuilt+Skyrim Home of the Nords+Province Cyrodiil installed and having far distance and shadows enabled. Think I might start experimenting with some of these shaders available.

Curratum

I have to wonder what the issue is, because if my (admittedly modest) system can't even push 40 fps at 1080p, looking at the census office from the ship, I have no idea how the people making those videos can run a ton of shaders, 4k resolution and record at good framerates.

Skall

Learned
I recently followed an installation guide for a Vanilla+ installation with Tamriel Rebuilt, and boy, it is a mess. Practically every other mod required some sort of custom installation process even while using a mod manager, but at least I was assured the load order would be correct. Seems to work fine, but required way more effort than anticipated:

One thing you'll want to do that's not in the launcher/tutorial is open up the OpenMW settings.cfg and in the [GUI] section add

scaling factor = 1.5

or

scaling factor = 2.0

Or squint, I guess.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I read on reddit that on the original engine, the farthest you get from the world (0,0) coordinate, the worse the performance gets? People were claiming on reddit this isnt a problem for original Morrowind as the map isnt that big and the engine was made to support that landmass but with all those new landmass mods like Tamriel Rebuilt, you can get into trouble, supposedly OpenMW doesnt have this issue. Is this true or what I read was bs?

None

Scholar
I read on reddit that on the original engine, the farthest you get from the world (0,0) coordinate, the worse the performance gets? People were claiming on reddit this isnt a problem for original Morrowind as the map isnt that big and the engine was made to support that landmass but with all those new landmass mods like Tamriel Rebuilt, you can get into trouble, supposedly OpenMW doesnt have this issue. Is this true or what I read was bs?

Tamriel Rebuilt generally doesn't have any of these issues as it does not stray that far from the original landmass. Project Cyrodiil and Skyrim Home of the Nords however will.

You wont be able to use the map outside of a given distance. The Morrowind Code Patch can extend it for use with something like TR, but until someone finishes NullCascade's work on a MWSE Lua map mod, you'll only be able to use the local map. Other thing I can think of is that the animations get kinda tweaky. There'll be a parkinsons like effect to everything, with characters fidgeting. Its more of a "quirky" kind of bug that isn't particularly annoying or intrusive. You'll notice some performance issues, but that is mostly just due to how things were developed. The original engine was never intended to be used for things like Old Ebonheart or some of the mountains of Skyrim which are created with tons of static objects. Old Ebonheart is the only place in all of these mods where I notice any sort of significant performance hit, but Morrowind is already a slow game so a drop in FPS really isn't that detrimental to the experience. In general I do not think there is an actual performance hit related to straying away from 0,0.

Smoker

Scholar
I have to wonder what the issue is, because if my (admittedly modest) system can't even push 40 fps at 1080p, looking at the census office from the ship, I have no idea how the people making those videos can run a ton of shaders, 4k resolution and record at good framerates.

You have virtual resolution enabled in graphics control panel by any chance? When I play certain games at 1080 with that on I get shit fps. Then I get 144fps at 3200x1800

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

It's true.

But you wont have this problem in Vanilla or TR, only province mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom