Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I was a DX11 skeptic but this has convinced me

baronjohn

Cipher
TotalBiscuit did a side-by-side comparison of Crysis DX9 and DX11 and WOW! It's like night and day.

Honestly after seeing a DX11 game I can't imagine ever running a game in DX9, it just looks so dated, it's like Wolf3d vs Half Life 2

Behold the future of PC gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8z8knMzIBw

MetalCraze

Arcane
That video seriously rocked my graphics whore world. New DirectXs are so much more than just a DX9 with the number increment to sell videocards and Vista/7

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:D That is DX11? It hardly looks better than DX9. Oh well...the graphics whores will surely jerk off to that minimal extra detail.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Have I turned into a skyway or is there no difference at all between them? :?

And really, the only way to compare is to have two STATIC screenshots next to each other. This "let's walk through the same path and spot the difference" faggotry is worthless.

DraQ

Arcane
Complaints about consoles? - Check.
Obligatory "king is naked" observation regarding DX9 and DX>9? - Check.
Recognizing merits as well as different forms of nonlinearity? - Check.

Pretty :obviously: overall.

Also, the only games where I could actually see the difference between DX9 and DX>9 were STALKER CS and CoP, but only when it rained.

P.S.
In during graphicswhoring.
:rpgcodex:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well there is a video with screenshots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2mw5se ... r_embedded

And it's like "oh look with DX11 tessellation the bricks on the wall are more 3D'ish" even though DX9 parallax mapping looks exactly like that.

And then the rest of the video is "Look with turned DX11 on - we now have SSAO, something totally impossible with DX9! And if that isn't enough we now consider parallax mapping a DX11 effect too! You remember that bumpy road from Crysis 1? Forget about it - it's your imagination"

DraQ said:
Also, the only games where I could actually see the difference between DX9 and DX>9 were STALKER CS and CoP, but only when it rained.

And even there those effects are perfectly possible with DX9, but you gotta sell more Radeons, AMD pays us after all durr hurr

racofer

Thread Incliner
The only tech that would bring something different to our games is ray tracing, but no consoles can handle it properly so yea...

Glasses_800_edit.png

Until then, DX9 is all we need.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure the original Crysis could do most of these effects (parallax mapping, per-object motion blur) in DX9 if you forced it to via CFG tweaks. Admittedly I don't think the quality of the effects was as good, and it hurt performance more, but just like Crysis' DX10 capabilities, it seems that the DX11 stuff here was held back specifically just to say "look, we have DX11, and it's only three months late!"

Really, the most offensive part about this aren't the new effects, it's that Yerli called this a "gift" to players as if they should be happy and thankful for getting it, even though DX11 was a feature promised for the game before release and only later revoked by EA.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DraQ said:
Complaints about consoles? - Check.
Obligatory "king is naked" observation regarding DX9 and DX>9? - Check.
Recognizing merits as well as different forms of nonlinearity? - Check.

Pretty :obviously: overall.
I've seen him wearing a tophat while casting Starcraft 2...

Anyway, I could always tell which was which, mainly because DX11 was a little brighter. Overall a ridiculously small difference *shrug*

Achilles

Arcane
Huh, well Crytek's trailer certainly showed a much bigger quality difference. Oh well, it's a pretty game either way. Good commentary on the video though, I think I'm going to follow this guy's videos.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
TEUTAL BISKET
I heard he was deported from the USA and his wife and child.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I watched the video and played the "which is which" thing. I got it wrong each time. Either I got lucky or it would seem that I think dx9 actually looks better.
But yeah, this was fairly pathetic.

DriacKin

Arbiter
racofer said:
The only tech that would bring something different to our games is ray tracing, but no consoles can handle it properly so yea...

No PC video cards can handle it properly either. So quit being butthurt about it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
DriacKin said:
racofer said:

No PC video cards can handle it properly either. So quit being butthurt about it.

Why so defensive, DriacKin? Have I offended your console deities?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Wet surfaces were pretty sweet-looking though.

In during graphicswhoring.
Says the guy who plays Doomsday for the pretty lights ;)

sea said:
per-object motion blur
I don't understand this one. First thing I usually do (aside from turning off DOF) is turn off motion blur. Why the hell would I want a "per-object motion blur"? I like my games to be sharp. It's the same reason I don't use any filters in DOSBox scalers.

Really, the most offensive part about this aren't the new effects, it's that Yerli called this a "gift" to players as if they should be happy and thankful for getting it, even though DX11 was a feature promised for the game before release
Oh and also this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom