Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As has been mentioned a buttonless Codex is already showing signs of improvement in both loading times and people actually bothering to write meaningful replies.

However I also recognize the poor addled Codexers who seemingly can't comprehend life anymore without their precious buttons and the fact that some posts don't merit a whole post - just a rating.

So my proposal is to bring back only a handful of buttons (like ten at the most) and have them be pairs that represent opposites. A five-minute thinking session made me think of these:

The 'Brofist' and the '(Bro)Shit' - pretty much speak for themselves.
The 'Laughing' smiley and the 'Sad' smiley - for comic and tragic posts.
The 'Citation Needed' and 'Stop Posting!' (or equivalents) - to indicate when Codexers want to know more/know less.
The 'TL;DR' and 'Whatever shit you posted didn't load' - to signal to fellow Codexers when they've gone too far/not far enough in their posts.
And finally the two biggest Codex memes, the 'Face that Never Remembered' and the 'Parrot', to cover miscellaneous situations.
(Close runner-ups would be the 'YES!' and the 'Rage' ratings - to indicate extreme delight/extreme anger.)

I think this will appease both sides - ratings are available to quickly express your opinion, while simultaneously encouraging people to say more when deemed necessary (and cut down on loading times).

EDIT: Many ratings would be lost by this course of action, so I make a second proposal - make the images for the 'lost' ratings be available in the 'Small Smileys' tab of the smiley menu. That way posters can still use them if needed.

aris

Arcane
As has been mentioned a buttonless Codex is already showing signs of improvement in both loading times and people actually bothering to write meaningful replies.

However I also recognize the poor addled Codexers who seemingly can't comprehend life anymore without their precious buttons and the fact that some posts don't merit a whole post - just a rating.

So my proposal is to bring back only a handful of buttons (like ten at the most) and have them be pairs that represent opposites. A five-minute thinking session made me think of these:

The 'Citation Needed' and 'Stop Posting!' (or equivalents) - to indicate when Codexers want to know more/know less.
The 'TL;DR' and 'Whatever shit you posted didn't load' - to signal to fellow Codexers when they've gone too far/not far enough in their posts.
And finally the two biggest Codex memes, the 'Face that Never Remembered' and the 'Parrot', to cover miscellaneous situations.
(Close runner-ups would be the 'YES!' and the 'Rage' ratings - to indicate extreme delight/extreme anger.)

I think this will appease both sides - ratings are available to quickly express your opinion, while simultaneously encouraging people to say more when deemed necessary (and cut down on loading times).

EDIT: Many ratings would be lost by this course of action, so I make a second proposal - make the images for the 'lost' ratings be available in the 'Small Smileys' tab of the smiley menu. That way posters can still use them if needed.

1*bTEl7WPc7YYwVMUOErkCsQ.png

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

:shit:

mastroego

Arcane
You're wrong, he would have been instantly bumped from 149 to 151 Brofists, ok, but this doesn't matter.
Because in that same moment DU would be the owner of 151 Brofists... but ALSO the owner of 150 Brofists. And the owner of 128 Brofists, for that matter.

This is how reasoning works with mathematics and set theory.

You would be right if the condition had been to get 'at least 150 brofists'. As it is, the statement is vague and can be read to ask implicitly for either 'exactly 150' or 'at least 150' fists. Since buttons are for fags, we are forced to conclude that it is the more restrictive condition. Mathematical reasoning requires precise phrasing.
It's not vague, if you deal in logic.

Let me put it this way.
Someone gives Robot A 170 Maga Hats.
Then Robot B passes by. It asks Robot A: "do you own 150 Maga Hats?"
Robot A would definitely answer: "Yes!".
(using a button, obviously)

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Rating buttons are just instant gratification awesome buttom wankery. Good for a lark, but seeing how much faster the Codex loads now that they are gone, it is no loss. Brofists can disappear as well, for all I care.
People who only joined after buttons were introduced espousing opinions like "Ratings are essential to the Codex experience" should definitely be watchwitzed, though.

Faulty logic.
First Question: did he get 150 brofists?
Yes.
Second Question: did he get more than 150?
Also Yes.
The second answer being "Yes" doesn't make the first answer a "no".

If at 149 brofists he received 2 brofists at exactly the same time, the answer to the first question is no. Guess we'll need a fistlog to crack this nut.
Finally, I understand. Rating buttons is the skyrim of forum activities. It makes you feel special and gives immediate gratification with little to not effort involved, to the detriment of the forum itself.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

got lots of SICK SHIT to post

but i aint postin in til buttons come back
obvious reverse psychology is obvious. as a newly appointed news poster/RPGCodex site admin, I can assure you, buttons are coming back whether you like it or not :argh:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
got lots of SICK SHIT to post

but i aint postin in til buttons come back
obvious reverse psychology is obvious. as a newly appointed news poster/RPGCodex site admin, I can assure you, buttons are coming back whether you like it or not :argh:

wut im 2 drunk do to do some reverse pshycoaolcolagy shit dudde

i will say oi1 1 good thing about no buttons i as is is is is i get more broofists and less ratard ratingszs

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Look, I don't give two shits about the psychology of buttons and their effect on this and that. A promise is a promise.

HeroicBloodshed

Learned
Fuck buttons. Hope they never return.

Buttons have drawn a ton of button harvesters to the site, losers who post shit obviously trying to garner :funny: or :hopwr: or whatever the fuck ratings. Hopeless attention-seekers that don't actually add to interesting threads, and often derail them.

In the old days men would read the posts and draw their own conclusions from those posts. Buttons have encouraged 'non-combatants' to join the site. People that don't post arguments, or even attempt to understand them, but just post :agree: ratings on posts that are on their side, no matter how poorly argued.

The worst change is also the hardest to describe. Old codex used to feel like a site where posters were like brothers talking freely with each other about anything, but now the site has some kind of oppressive atmosphere where a faceless crowd is rating every interaction. Lurkers shouldn't have a method to engage with the site, that way they will fuck off faster.

In summary, buttons have decreased the signal-to-noise ratio of the site by encouraging e-whore button harvesters, faceless losers who think I give a fuck what they rate my posts, and consensus-seeking tards, and they also just make the site a visual mess.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I must admit, it's impressive Dark Underlord managed to tear the codex apart into two warring factions while he sits back and watches it all unfold, and all he had to do was remove the facebook buttons of emotional validation temporarily.
He makes it look so easy.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must admit, it's impressive Dark Underlord managed to tear the codex apart into two warring factions while he sits back and watches it all unfold, and all he had to do was remove the facebook buttons of emotional validation temporarily.

I guess having a forum that is working so well people start donating kidneys to one another was a step too far. Why not just fuck it up on a whim and let people start fighting over shit that wasnt an issue before.
No matter the outcome someone will remain butthurt and the codex will forevermore be tarnished by the great button blackout known as "No Fun February 2019"

Bohr

Arcane

While the Codex can have fun squabbling over anything I do think most people realise buttons will be coming back anyway though. After all, the first couple of times they were introduced there was a massive outcry and they still came back after a while.

And while it would be amusing if they went away now people are hooked on them (and a sizable chunk of newer members have known nothing else), they're also something that gets people to donate to the site to gain access to. To get the extended array one has to beg DU (and hope he's feeling charitable), do some sort of challenge like Star Stable which amuses him, or pay. Which then forms a small deterrent to getting banned and starting over with a new account, without the buttons one begged/paid for.

So it's hard to see DU giving that up anytime soon, but he is rather unpredictable I guess.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Oh of course they'll be coming back, but when he said eventually, he may have meant in 4 years time when everyone has forgotten about them, and gotten used to the change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom