Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

ortucis

Prophet
The only button I'll miss is the one telling people "Whatever shit you posted didn't load."

It was actually useful.

Koschey

Arcane
It's not vague, if you deal in logic.

Let me put it this way.
Someone gives Robot A 170 Maga Hats.
Then Robot B passes by. It asks Robot A: "do you own 150 Maga Hats?"
Robot A would definitely answer: "Yes!".
(using a button, obviously)
I'd actually assume Robot A to notice 170 != 150 and answer: "No, I have 170 Maga Hats."
Rephrasing it doesn't change the fact that the natural language statement 'I have x things' is vague as to the distinction between 'at least x' and 'exactly x' before being translated into a formal statement, as would be required in mathematics or set theory.

But if you like examples, try this one:
Donald Trump wants to celebrate his birthday with a yuge party, the best party and invites all his 170 friends. He calls McDonald's to order the catering. The McD employee asks: "Do you need 150 meals?"
Would 'YES!' be a smart final answer?

mastroego

Arcane

Let me put it this way.
I'd actually assume Robot A to notice 170 != 150 and answer: "No, I have 170 Maga Hats."
Rephrasing it doesn't change the fact that the natural language statement 'I have x things' is vague as to the distinction between 'at least x' and 'exactly x' before being translated into a formal statement, as would be required in mathematics or set theory.

Donald Trump wants to celebrate his birthday with a yuge party, the best party and invites all his 170 friends. He calls McDonald's to order the catering. The McD employee asks: "Do you need 150 meals?"
Not a smart one, but a correct one nonetheless. He does need 150 meals. He actually needs more, but that doesn't make the first statement untrue.
If you study logic, that's how you deconstruct statements.
Nobody told the robot to do the additional check about 150 being different than 170, the total it owns. It's just been asked if 150 hats are in its possession, and it answers "Yes!"

In a dialogue you're tempted to add stuff because of your interpretation, and yes, your intelligence, but it's still you adding stuff: you have to add "precisely", or "and no more than that" or similar qualifiers to the phrase for it to gain the meaning you're suggesting, it's never actually implied by the naked logic of the statement itself.

Having 150 Maga hats means just that, you own 150 Maga hats for sure. It says nothing about additional hats. You may have them, or not.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Let me put it this way.

Autism unbound.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think the buttons made brofist alot more valuable resource, and earning them is alot harder.

To earn brofist was quite an effort, that (at least in majority of the case) only real posts contribute to relevant discussion, or a worthy news or something will earn a brofist.

Other low effort post, trolling post, jokes (even a good joke), snarky comments, puns and jests usually get funny buttons instead of brofist.

Of course the system still arent perfect, but it oversaturating the forum with worthless but relevant buttons actually increase the value of actual reputation system we have because it simply distill which posts are really button worthy, and those who are funny, amusing, entertaining, but ultimately don't add anything to the discussion.

I would let the main RPG forums have buttons back, but keep some of public library like the gif topic/image topic which sole reason are quick entertainment brofist only.

Hahah people actually care about an integer counter on the message board database and the BUTTON ECONOMY. DON'T DISTILL MY WORDS PER BROFIST RATIO

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yay, buttons are back. Enjoy them, millennials, tonight, while Jaye-kwon pounds you in the ass and you rage about how racist Trump is on Instabook and how you have to #resist things that aren't actually things.

Grimlorn

Arcane
tenor.gif

Generic-Giant-Spider

Lets get some FUNNY ratings up in here to cover lost ground. I did the mathematics and I am owed 36.

Edit: You're all not doing it right. FUNNY ratings, not the retard award and rainbow. Stop trolling me, I have lots of friends in the police force.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom