Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

Bohr

Arcane
I haven't been following the thread and can't be bothered to wade through it. What's the word on the street?

I'm not happy with the buttons gone. I feel...diminished. Like a number.

Is it just DU poking his pet anthill out of existential boredom and soon all will be well again or did he make a permanent change out of some deep seated design principle?

DU's just being DU (they came back for 30 minutes and then went again), and now a Star Stable thing is involved. But the butthurt is starting to flow a bit more freely it seems so who knows...

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
If Nano completes his task within 7 days, I shall return buttons.

If Nano fails to complete his task within the next 7 days, the buttons demand a sacrifice. If Nano fails his quest, and this post receives 150 brofists within the next 7 days, I will ban Nano and return buttons.

Which will happen first? Will Nano save the buttons and himself, will the Codex demand Nano be sacrificed, or will buttons begone forever?

Stay tuned to this exciting thread for further developments.
Yes! Make him do it in a dress too!
ifepfpi3g471vcvs94.gif

sardonix

Educated
I have to say I'm REALLY glad about the lack of buttons other than Brofists. Today I wake up with 12 notifications. None of them are with "retadred", "shit", and other ratings. All of them are either brofists or people genuinely discussing what I'm posting, which is a refreshing and fairly inclined change.
retarded.png

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I have to say I'm REALLY glad about the lack of buttons other than Brofists. Today I wake up with 12 notifications. None of them are with "retadred", "shit", and other ratings. All of them are either brofists or people genuinely discussing what I'm posting, which is a refreshing and fairly inclined change.
Don't say things like that. It hurts buttons mashers feelings. We all know the only reason to hate buttons is the deep fear of negative ratings that hurt our inflated ego. That's all there is to it. Further promoting childish behaviour and social media retarded wordless interactions have nothing to do with it. It's not like smileys were already enough of that crap. No, it has to be butthurt, any other reason would be... unfathomable.
:butthurt:
poop-emoji-frown.png

a cut of domestic sheep prime

retarded.png

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
200th brofist reporting in, let's do this.

Oh, shit, there's a new brofist counter in case Nano fails, better tick that one off too.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't think I would mind them much if they weren't so overused
Again, you can hide it with adblock. No excuse.

You're just butthurt when people rate your posts negatively. Admit it.

The problem isn't that some people can hide buttons, it's the changes it makes to posting habits and who the site attracts. It's that the codex is less a discussion board and more some kind of social media analogue.
People are less posting to talk about shit with mates but instead trying to make every post maximise ratings. It's obvious.

Buttons have added some kind of social feedback mechanism to the site where, to varying extents, everyone is less focused on discussion and are instead trying to get more ratings to appease their fucking monkey id.
The main problem with negative buttons is that it gives assholes and butthurt children a means to harass those they deem to have somehow slighted them. Since I have been here, I have noted at least 6 campaigns by several posters against people they don't like. Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign. Atlantico has at least two posters in his sights that he down votes religiously, actually surfing threads for posts he can down vote, regardless of what was being said.

Stalkers who harass others by following them from thread to thread and aggressively attacking them via actual posts can be shown for the idiots they are. Archangel, for example, got so butthurt that he started stalking a poster and was told to fuck off by at least one other poster for being a butthurt bitch.

Negative buttons allow for harassment without the possibility of any recourse, especially given that some of the mods here are biased as hell, as proven by my sig, and have their own little cliques that they will defend to the death. As such, these buttons are cancer to any forum that tries to foster free speech and open communication. Getting rid of them, even to the point of just brofists, is a good thing for debate and openess. If DarkUnderlord wishes to bring back buttons, I hope he will only bring back those which are positive (brofist, incline, funny, etc.) or neutral (e.g., agree, disagree, yes, no, etc.), and leave out those that can be abused (e.g., retarded, autism, shit, etc.).
Lol What? I didn't Stalk anyone. Unless you are talking about a retard called Cael that happened to shitpost in both topics I was active in (Battletech and Pathfinder) that I was happy to show as a retard he is. And instead of defending himself that retard put me on ignore and then went to leave lies in topics like this one LOL.

The main problem with negative buttons is that it gives assholes and butthurt children a means to harass those they deem to have somehow slighted them. Since I have been here, I have noted at least 6 campaigns by several posters against people they don't like. Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign. Atlantico has at least two posters in his sights that he down votes religiously, actually surfing threads for posts he can down vote, regardless of what was being said.

Stalkers who harass others by following them from thread to thread and aggressively attacking them via actual posts can be shown for the idiots they are. Archangel, for example, got so butthurt that he started stalking a poster and was told to fuck off by at least one other poster for being a butthurt bitch.

Negative buttons allow for harassment without the possibility of any recourse, especially given that some of the mods here are biased as hell, as proven by my sig, and have their own little cliques that they will defend to the death. As such, these buttons are cancer to any forum that tries to foster free speech and open communication. Getting rid of them, even to the point of just brofists, is a good thing for debate and openess. If DarkUnderlord wishes to bring back buttons, I hope he will only bring back those which are positive (brofist, incline, funny, etc.) or neutral (e.g., agree, disagree, yes, no, etc.), and leave out those that can be abused (e.g., retarded, autism, shit, etc.).

Wow, thanks for exposing the serious issues this place has with toxic masculinity and a culture of bullying. We must take a stand against internet harassment and negativity.

Cael

Arcane

Wow, thanks for exposing the serious issues this place has with toxic masculinity and a culture of bullying. We must take a stand against internet harassment and negativity.
Actually, that is not a bad idea. It is the basis of free speech and civility, after all, long before the sjw co-opted the terms "free speech" and "civility".

Actually, that is not a bad idea. It is the basis of free speech and civility, after all, long before the sjw co-opted the terms "free speech" and "civility".
Negative ratings are not the type of harassment that impedes free speech. Civility is something that places limits on speech, it's not a friend of free speech even when it is a good thing.

Cael

Arcane
Negative ratings are not the type of harassment that impedes free speech. Civility is something that places limits on speech, it's not a friend of free speech even when it is a good thing.
Wrong.

Civility allows free speech in that it allows people to have their say without monkeys screeching over them like you see in the leftwing media. Civility allows people to politely disagree without aggressively attacking and harassing the opposition with the aim of silencing them. Civility allows people to discuss rather than argue, to debate rather than harangue.

Negative ratings when used properly and responsibily is not an impediment to free speech. However, when people abuse the system, it becomes a massive barrier to free speech because it silences people. It turns people off. Like a lack of civility, it is used as a weapon to silence the opposition, and that is cancer to any notion of free speech.

retarded.png

:dealwithit:
which is ironic because you couldn't deal with it and were butthurt over being rated retarded.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
which is ironic because you couldn't deal with it and were butthurt over being rated retarded.

I kept posting on the forum, didn't I? I'm simply much more happier ratings are gone.

The ratings themselves don't bother me. It's people not arguing which bothers me. That, and lots of notifications cluttering up my feed.

Cael

Arcane

I kept posting on the forum, didn't I? I'm simply much more happier ratings are gone.

The ratings themselves don't bother me. It's people not arguing which bothers me. That, and lots of notifications cluttering up my feed.
"... much more happier..."

giphy.gif

Wrong.

Civility allows free speech in that it allows people to have their say without monkeys screeching over them like you see in the leftwing media. Civility allows people to politely disagree without aggressively attacking and harassing the opposition with the aim of silencing them. Civility allows people to discuss rather than argue, to debate rather than harangue.

Negative ratings when used properly and responsibily is not an impediment to free speech. However, when people abuse the system, it becomes a massive barrier to free speech because it silences people. It turns people off. Like a lack of civility, it is used as a weapon to silence the opposition, and that is cancer to any notion of free speech.
Civility is ''you can't say that because it's rude''. Civility is ''I'll be polite to this person as long as they don't offend my more seriously held beliefs.'' Civility is ''Your tone is too hostile and contrary to discussion.'' It is effeminate.
Codex's negative ratings are not serious harassment. If anything they are more of a satire of harassment.

Cael

Arcane
Wrong.

Civility is ''you can't say that because it's rude''. Civility is ''I'll be polite to this person as long as they don't offend my more seriously held beliefs.'' Civility is ''Your tone is too hostile and contrary to discussion.'' It is effeminate.
Codex's negative ratings are not serious harassment. If anything they are more of a satire of harassment.
You have a warped notion of civility. Not too surprising, given how the lamestream media had co-opted just about every positive word in the English language to suit their needs.

Civility is never about not saying something. It is about saying something in a polite manner.

sjw: Fuck you, man! You're a denier, a child killer! You don't care about the Earth. You should be forced to just breath CO2 and see how much you like it.
Civil person: I disagree with your assertion that my premise is wrong.

"... much more happier..."

giphy.gif
a real mystery where all those retarded ratings were coming from, huh?

nah. even when people abuse the system, it does nothing to limit free speech.

this is a sjw argument: you make trannies feel bad, so they don't have free speech because they are afraid to talk because you make them feel bad when they do.

being called stupid doesn't limit your ability to say stupid things. the fact that people react to your content at all is proof of your free speech.

now, it would limit it, if the setting to hide posts with large amounts of negative ratings were enabled, but it isn't so meh.

Cael

Arcane
nah. even when people abuse the system, it does nothing to limit free speech.

this is a sjw argument: you make trannies feel bad, so they don't have free speech because they are afraid to talk because you make them feel bad when they do.

being called stupid doesn't limit your ability to say stupid things. the fact that people react to your content at all is proof of your free speech.

now, it would limit it, if the setting to hide posts with large amounts of negative ratings were enabled, but it isn't so meh.
Are you saying that constant abuse by someone doesn't make you think twice about saying things?

For example, the utter hate and hysteria of the media vs Trump doesn't somehow warp the messages that Trump is trying to put out? Or a person constantly triling you calling you a liar and a retard and wish you were dead doesn't somehow influence other people's view of what you say?

No communication in human society is predicated on one thing. There is always a receiver as well as an emitter. When there is constant interference from an outside source who is determined to ensure that whatever is received is in the worst light possible, then you have a problem with free speech.

Remember, we are not talking about people who legitimately said something dumb and is called on it. We are talking about people are being targeted by butthurt children who then constantly tries to create noise around the guy in an attempt to silence him, drive him away, belittle him and worse. We are talking waking up every day to 20-30 "you are retarded" or "kill yourself" messages from the same guy, not a bunch of different people. That is not acceptable in any civil society, and you know it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom