Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Are you saying that constant abuse by someone doesn't make you think twice about saying things?
Not if that "abuse" amounts to calling them an idiot online.

If that's all they are doing, then it's a *choice* of pure ego: Be thin skinned and run to the teacher crying an hoping she will silence their free speech or ignore it.

And if someone is consistently saying dumb shit and chooses to stop talking based purely on ego, then that's actually positive for them because they will stop saying dumb shit all the time.

Now, if I were to try and get you fired from your job, track you down in person and harass you, blackmail you, hurt you physically or financially, piss in your coffee, etc that'd be different. Because I am limiting your free speech through fear instead of just giving you my opinion and letting you accept it or ignore it as you choose.

People reacting in normal ways, like calling an idiot an idiot, don't limit free speech. They encourage it. It's the reactions of others that we seek and learn from in any communication, within reason.

If you just wrote things and no one reacted, that would make you silence yourself.
For example, the utter hate and hysteria of the media vs Trump doesn't somehow warp the messages that Trump is trying to put out?
That's doesn't impair his free speech. People can and do choose to discard that. Now, it may be libelous and might be illegal if our laws didn't protect the media so that they can be character assassins, but it doesn't limit free speech.
When there is constant interference from an outside source who is determined to ensure that whatever is received is in the worst light possible, then you have a problem with free speech.
Then you are interfering with my free speech by arguing with me. You're making me feel bad and you keep doing it. Please stop your abuse. :roll:
Remember, we are not talking about people who legitimately said something dumb and is called on it. blah blah
:nocountryforshitposters:

It's all so tiresome.

ArKdnq8.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
And if someone is consistently saying dumb shit

This is entirely subjective. IMO, most Codexers say nothing but dumb shit, since they really have no arguments to back their stances and thus resort to ratings because a simple emoji is as basic as their opinion is. For instance, a lot of the Codex's opinion could be synthetized with a single "SJW" rating because that's what their opinions amounts to regarding a lot of different topics: "SJWs this", "SJWs that".

Imagine if you went to GameFaqs and emojis existed there, and said "Fallout is the greatest RPG of all time". You would get showered with Retard ratings, because to them only a retard could claim such a thing in the face of Fallout 3.

Cael

Arcane
Are you saying that constant abuse by someone doesn't make you think twice about saying things?
Not if that "abuse" amounts to calling them an idiot online.

If that's all they are doing, then it's a *choice* of pure ego: Be thin skinned and run to the teacher crying an hoping she will silence their free speech or ignore it.

And if someone is consistently saying dumb shit and chooses to stop talking based purely on ego, then that's actually positive for them because they will stop saying dumb shit all the time.

Now, if I were to try and get you fired from your job, track you down in person and harass you, blackmail you, hurt you physically or financially, piss in your coffee, etc that'd be different. Because I am limiting your free speech through fear instead of just giving you my opinion and letting you accept it or ignore it as you choose.

People reacting in normal ways, like calling an idiot an idiot, don't limit free speech. They encourage it. It's the reactions of others that we seek and learn from in any communication, within reason.

If you just wrote things and no one reacted, that would make you silence yourself.
For example, the utter hate and hysteria of the media vs Trump doesn't somehow warp the messages that Trump is trying to put out?
That's doesn't impair his free speech. People can and do choose to discard that. Now, it may be libelous and might be illegal if our laws didn't protect the media so that they can be character assassins, but it doesn't limit free speech.
When there is constant interference from an outside source who is determined to ensure that whatever is received is in the worst light possible, then you have a problem with free speech.
Then you are interfering with my free speech by arguing with me. You're making me feel bad and you keep doing it. Please stop your abuse. :roll:
Remember, we are not talking about people who legitimately said something dumb and is called on it. blah blah
:nocountryforshitposters:

It's all so tiresome.

ArKdnq8.png
This is a forum. We sort of have to be here in order to participate. If we were to walk away from the screen, as it were, it means that our free speech has been curtailed. The harasser won. He has silenced us and drove us away, as was his intent. He has taken away our freedom of speech. Thank you for making my point for me.

The fact that you cannot discern between calling someone's opinion dumb and a concerted campaign against that person says more about you than it does about anyone else.

Cael

Arcane
which is ironic because you couldn't deal with it and were butthurt over being rated retarded.

I kept posting on the forum, didn't I? I'm simply much more happier ratings are gone.

The ratings themselves don't bother me. It's people not arguing which bothers me. That, and lots of notifications cluttering up my feed.
"... much more happier..."

giphy.gif
a real mystery where all those retarded ratings were coming from, huh?
Bad English does not denote retardism. This is the Internet. English is not even the most used first language. Nor the second or third, come to think of it.

I was poking fun at Sigourn and it was not meant as a serious dissertation on his mental faculties. What we have here in your post is confirmation bias at its worst.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Bad English does not denote retardism. This is the Internet. English is not even the most used first language. Nor the second or third, come to think of it.

I was poking fun at Sigourn and it was not meant as a serious dissertation on his mental faculties. What we have here in your post is confirmation bias at its worst.

At first I thought you were crticizing my happy outlook, didn't even think of it as poor English (in hindsight, I understand I should have written "much more happy" or "I'm simply happier").

This is a forum. We sort of have to be here in order to participate. If we were to walk away from the screen, as it were, it means that our free speech has been curtailed.
You don't get it. It also says "close your eyes".

The point is that you can ignore it. No one is holding your eyes open with toothpicks and forcing you to look at the ratings or to take them to heart.

You can just ignore it and remain on the site.

Just like both you and Sigourn did with your
village_idiot.gif
and
dumbfuck.gif
tags.

They're on every one of your posts and yet somehow that hasn't stopped either of you from making page after page of retarded posts for years now.

Thank you for making my point for me.
:retarded:
I wish we had ratings so that I could rate your post retarded, just for thinking this.

Cael

Arcane

At first I thought you were crticizing my happy outlook, didn't even think of it as poor English (in hindsight, I understand I should have written "much more happy" or "I'm simply happier").
It is a bit of an in-joke amongst my group of friends. In a restaurant menu (especially a Chinese restaurant one) with dozens of items and thousands of words, all squished together or covered with colourful crap, I would be the one to pick up on bad English or hilarious boo-boos.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
They're on every one of your posts and yet somehow that hasn't stopped either of you from making page after page of retarded posts for years now.

A false dichotomy doesn't help your case at all. The choice isn't "deal with retarded ratings or go away". The choice is "stay and deal with the retarded ratings, or stay and let's get rid of the retarded ratings". I'm for the latter because it has been proven already it leads to far better discussions. People are more inclined to argue when they can't magically slap a retard button on someone's post and make like the discussion was over before it even started.

By the way, the only retard here is yourself. No arbitrarily assigned tag on Cael or me is going to change that.

Cael

Arcane
This is a forum. We sort of have to be here in order to participate. If we were to walk away from the screen, as it were, it means that our free speech has been curtailed.
You don't get it. It also says "close your eyes".

The point is that you can ignore it. No one is holding your eyes open with toothpicks and forcing you to look at the ratings or to take them to heart.

You can just ignore it and remain on the site.

Just like both you and Sigourn did with your
village_idiot.gif
and
dumbfuck.gif
tags.

Thank you for making my point for me.
I wish we had ratings so that I could rate your post retarded, just for thinking this.
And there it is. Your innermost workings laid bare. It wasn't that hard to admit what you really want is the ability to harass and bully others, now, is it?

Here are some phrases for you to ponder upon:
Your rights end where others' begin.
We will have world peace when everyone learn to mind their own business.
Freedom of speech does not mean harassment or bullying is OK.

Cael

Arcane
By the way, the only retard here is yourself. No arbitrarily assigned tag on Cael or me is going to change that.
I find it rather... ironic... that he would go down that path, given the tags that he has.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Today I wake up with 12 notifications. None of them are with "retadred", "shit", and other ratings.
That, and lots of notifications cluttering up my feed.
You do know that you can turn notifications off, right? For ratings specificatlly. For thread updates. For quoting.
If you feel offended by people expressing their opinion in a fucking emoji form , maybe you should grow thicker skin or re-evaluate your posts.
All of them are either brofists or people genuinely discussing what I'm posting, which is a refreshing and fairly inclined change.
People are more inclined to argue when they can't magically slap a retard button on someone's post and make like the discussion was over before it even started.
People always engage if they're interested or feel like there's room for shitposting discussion. If they aren't engaging, than they are not interested in it. Simple as that. With ratings gone only a small fraction started to engage, a small fraction went on to post :some_rating: as a response and the rest just started to ignore the posts.
IMO, most Codexers say nothing but dumb shit
So, you should not be surprised that your posts are rated "retarded" or "shit". You're Codexer after all. Oh, wait, you aren't like most Codexers? Then let me present you with your very own:
snowflake.png

Last edited by a moderator:

And there it is. Your innermost workings laid bare.
giphy.gif

Is this the part where you ignore all my points and just throw a strawman at me?

Yes. Yes it is.
It wasn't that hard to admit what you really want is the ability to harass and bully others, now, is it?
I never said that. Either learn to read or learn to make a better strawman.
Here are some words for you to ponder upon:

Quit sounding like so much of a faggot.

Hm0EhMA.gif

Cael

Arcane
And there it is. Your innermost workings laid bare.
giphy.gif

Is this the part where you ignore all my points and just throw a strawman at me?

Yes. Yes it is.
It wasn't that hard to admit what you really want is the ability to harass and bully others, now, is it?
I never said that. Either learn to read or learn to make a better strawman.
Here are some words for you to ponder upon:

Quit sounding like so much of a faggot.

Hm0EhMA.gif
There is nothing to your post other than "take all the shit I will throw at you and don't you dare complain" on high repeat. Your arrogance in demanding that others take your shit without a murmur is pretty much classic leftard sjw screeching. That you would ape your betters by calling others faggots is amusing, to say the least.

There is nothing to your post other than "take all the shit I will throw at you and don't you dare complain"
No, the post I posted before had several points that you ignored like a bitch because you had no legitimate response to them.

Keep trying to put words in my mouth though. I'm sure that there's at least one person who's dumb enough not to just scroll up and see how full of shit you are. :roll:
Your arrogance in demanding that others take your shit without a murmur is pretty much classic leftard sjw screeching.
"no you're the REAL sjw!!"
:roll:
That you would ape your betters by calling others faggots is amusing, to say the least.
Ape my betters? Who am I "aping" exactly? You? Are you calling people faggots? You do know that's "bullying", right? For shame.

aratuk

Cipher
Really, DarkUnderlord, your previous experiment didn't go far enough.

What you should do is simultaneously reduce the availability of English words that can be typed in the Codex, as you steadily increase the options for emoji and ratings. In doing so, you will foster the development of an ideographic writing system whose expression you control completely.

No concept could be admitted to the conversation without your sanction. Who could meaningfully argue that RTwP has any place in a serious game if the symbol we use to represent it depicts a lobotomized, drooling Pepe the frog?
Subtly or unsubtly, you would steer the dialogue surrounding not only RPGs, but politics, god, and the wealth of nations.

:killit:

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
There is nothing to your post other than "take all the shit I will throw at you and don't you dare complain"
No, the post I posted before had several points that you ignored like a bitch because you had no legitimate response to them.

Keep trying to put words in my mouth though. I'm sure that there's at least one person who's dumb enough not to just scroll up and see how full of shit you are. :roll:
Your arrogance in demanding that others take your shit without a murmur is pretty much classic leftard sjw screeching.
"no you're the REAL sjw!!"
:roll:
That you would ape your betters by calling others faggots is amusing, to say the least.
Ape my betters? Who am I "aping" exactly? You? Are you calling people faggots? You do know that's "bullying", right? For shame.
Lol! Says the guy whose only argument is "No, it doesn't!" Your points are laughable simply because you ask people to leave the Codex if they can't take the heat, which is exactly what the harassers want. If everyone were to do that, the Codex would end up being like RetardEra where every wrongthink is subject to harassment and bullying, but I suppose that would be your dream place. Only your orthodoxy allowed.

It is also hilarious how you claim I ever used the word "faggot" other than as a quote from someone else. You see, unlike your kind, I do try to retain a modicum of civility.

Lol! Says the guy whose only argument is "No, it doesn't!"
Again, not what I said, wasn't my argument. Keep pretending though.
Your points are laughable
So laughable you bitched out and ignored them.

Yeah, yeah.
you ask people to leave the Codex if they can't take the heat
I never said that. I specifically said that this wasn't what I was saying.

But I have no problem with anyone being a bitch and leaving. It's better than being a bitch and strawmaning like you're doing.

If everyone were to do that, the Codex would end up being like RetardEra where every wrongthink is subject to harassment and bullying, but I suppose that would be your dream place. Only your orthodoxy allowed.
:d1p:
It is also hilarious how you claim I ever used the word "faggot" other than as a quote from someone else.
Learn to read.
You see, unlike your kind, I do try to retain a modicum of civility.
690kr4v.png

Cael

Arcane
So laughable you bitched out and ignored them.

Yeah, yeah.
you ask people to leave the Codex if they can't take the heat
I never said that. I specifically said that this wasn't what I was saying.

But I have no problem with anyone being a bitch and leaving. It's better than being a bitch and strawmaning like you're doing.

If everyone were to do that, the Codex would end up being like RetardEra where every wrongthink is subject to harassment and bullying, but I suppose that would be your dream place. Only your orthodoxy allowed.
:d1p:
It is also hilarious how you claim I ever used the word "faggot" other than as a quote from someone else.
Learn to read.
You see, unlike your kind, I do try to retain a modicum of civility.
690kr4v.png
You expect people to answer your laughable points? The arrogance is strong in this one.

Your continued use of derogatory images only reinforces my point about you wanting those who can't take the heat to leave. You can use words to try and cover it up, but like all sjws, your actions betray you.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm sitting here reading this whole exchange while eating Pocky sticks, downing a 7-Up I forgot I had from two weeks ago. It's not quite the golden mansion with four female Croatian supermodels that the fortune teller told me I'd have eight years ago, but it's a good first step towards it.

Incline is a sleeping beast that will awaken one day.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm sitting here reading this whole exchange while eating Pocky sticks, downing a 7-Up I forgot I had from two weeks ago. It's not quite the golden mansion with four female Croatian supermodels that the fortune teller told me I'd have eight years ago, but it's a good first step towards it.

Incline is a sleeping beast that will awaken one day.
:thumbsup:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't think I would mind them much if they weren't so overused
Again, you can hide it with adblock. No excuse.

You're just butthurt when people rate your posts negatively. Admit it.

The problem isn't that some people can hide buttons, it's the changes it makes to posting habits and who the site attracts. It's that the codex is less a discussion board and more some kind of social media analogue.
People are less posting to talk about shit with mates but instead trying to make every post maximise ratings. It's obvious.

Buttons have added some kind of social feedback mechanism to the site where, to varying extents, everyone is less focused on discussion and are instead trying to get more ratings to appease their fucking monkey id.
The main problem with negative buttons is that it gives assholes and butthurt children a means to harass those they deem to have somehow slighted them. Since I have been here, I have noted at least 6 campaigns by several posters against people they don't like. Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign. Atlantico has at least two posters in his sights that he down votes religiously, actually surfing threads for posts he can down vote, regardless of what was being said.

Stalkers who harass others by following them from thread to thread and aggressively attacking them via actual posts can be shown for the idiots they are. Archangel, for example, got so butthurt that he started stalking a poster and was told to fuck off by at least one other poster for being a butthurt bitch.

Negative buttons allow for harassment without the possibility of any recourse, especially given that some of the mods here are biased as hell, as proven by my sig, and have their own little cliques that they will defend to the death. As such, these buttons are cancer to any forum that tries to foster free speech and open communication. Getting rid of them, even to the point of just brofists, is a good thing for debate and openess. If DarkUnderlord wishes to bring back buttons, I hope he will only bring back those which are positive (brofist, incline, funny, etc.) or neutral (e.g., agree, disagree, yes, no, etc.), and leave out those that can be abused (e.g., retarded, autism, shit, etc.).
There are 2 people here on Codex with one rating all my posts "racist" no matter what I discussed. Even if it had nothing to do with "racism" that person would rate everything racist. And when I started doing the same back. I got it marked as spam and I got a "dumbfuck" tag. The other person would rate everything posts either "shit" or "retarded". Especially 1 person that seems to b able to do whatever that person wants but when I did the same I got the "dumbfuck" tag and eveything I did back was spam and while I think it's unfair. I also realise that this is the internet. A rating or a button can't do anything to me. It can't affect me in real life and those people that follow users around just to rate them negatively get to live with the fact that they find it amusing to do that. And small things amuse small minds.

No rating can hurt you or bully you in real life. So free speech must include all speech. Even if it hurts a person's feelings or upsets them in some way or form. It's the internet and even in real life I feel that all speech must be free speech. Even if we don't like it. So as to "bullying" here on Codex. I don't care what ratings I get from people. This is an internet forum and a rating literally can't do anything to me. It's can't hurt me, attack me etc. It's simply what it is. A rating and nothing more.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign.
Should have instead given them "village idiot" and "batshit crazy"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom