Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

Cael

Arcane
Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign.
Should have instead given them "village idiot" and "batshit crazy"
Not sure about LE, but Lambchop already has the "batshit crazy" tag. I refrained from pointing it out despite his constant need to do so to others, which betrays his mental insecurity more than anything else.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
most Codexers say nothing but dumb shit
... And then:
I have to say I'm REALLY glad about the lack of buttons other than Brofists. Today I wake up with 12 notifications. None of them are with "retadred", "shit", and other ratings. All of them are either brofists or people genuinely discussing what I'm posting, which is a refreshing and fairly inclined change.
You don't know you can turn off notifications for ratings? For 3 years on the Codex, you didn't turn them off?

By the way, the only retard here is yourself.
Look who's talking, lol. Two sides of the same coin indeed.

Cael

Arcane
I don't think I would mind them much if they weren't so overused
Again, you can hide it with adblock. No excuse.

You're just butthurt when people rate your posts negatively. Admit it.

The problem isn't that some people can hide buttons, it's the changes it makes to posting habits and who the site attracts. It's that the codex is less a discussion board and more some kind of social media analogue.
People are less posting to talk about shit with mates but instead trying to make every post maximise ratings. It's obvious.

Buttons have added some kind of social feedback mechanism to the site where, to varying extents, everyone is less focused on discussion and are instead trying to get more ratings to appease their fucking monkey id.
The main problem with negative buttons is that it gives assholes and butthurt children a means to harass those they deem to have somehow slighted them. Since I have been here, I have noted at least 6 campaigns by several posters against people they don't like. Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign. Atlantico has at least two posters in his sights that he down votes religiously, actually surfing threads for posts he can down vote, regardless of what was being said.

Stalkers who harass others by following them from thread to thread and aggressively attacking them via actual posts can be shown for the idiots they are. Archangel, for example, got so butthurt that he started stalking a poster and was told to fuck off by at least one other poster for being a butthurt bitch.

Negative buttons allow for harassment without the possibility of any recourse, especially given that some of the mods here are biased as hell, as proven by my sig, and have their own little cliques that they will defend to the death. As such, these buttons are cancer to any forum that tries to foster free speech and open communication. Getting rid of them, even to the point of just brofists, is a good thing for debate and openess. If DarkUnderlord wishes to bring back buttons, I hope he will only bring back those which are positive (brofist, incline, funny, etc.) or neutral (e.g., agree, disagree, yes, no, etc.), and leave out those that can be abused (e.g., retarded, autism, shit, etc.).
There are 2 people here on Codex with one rating all my posts "racist" no matter what I discussed. Even if it had nothing to do with "racism" that person would rate everything racist. And when I started doing the same back. I got it marked as spam and I got a "dumbfuck" tag. The other person would rate everything posts either "shit" or "retarded". Especially 1 person that seems to b able to do whatever that person wants but when I did the same I got the "dumbfuck" tag and eveything I did back was spam and while I think it's unfair. I also realise that this is the internet. A rating or a button can't do anything to me. It can't affect me in real life and those people that follow users around just to rate them negatively get to live with the fact that they find it amusing to do that. And small things amuse small minds.

No rating can hurt you or bully you in real life. So free speech must include all speech. Even if it hurts a person's feelings or upsets them in some way or form. It's the internet and even in real life I feel that all speech must be free speech. Even if we don't like it. So as to "bullying" here on Codex. I don't care what ratings I get from people. This is an internet forum and a rating literally can't do anything to me. It's can't hurt me, attack me etc. It's simply what it is. A rating and nothing more.
If this was the case, we won't have the suicide stats we have. Unfortunately, it does affect people and while things like twatter and farcebook can be turned off, if one were to engage in a forum like this, the buttons are always in your face. You can't really turn it off unless you leave the forum altogether, which, as I have said before, is the goal of the harassers in the first place and is cancer to free speech. If the mods were fair dinkum (and I would be the first to say that few, if any, of them are, as my sig will prove) about wanting to foster free speech and free exchange of ideas, they would ban the harassers for button abuse and nuke their accounts. However, as at least one mod is himself a button abuser, that won't happen.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think buttons will be back eventually, one way or another. I believe they are good for traffic. If I see a post I disagree with, normally I have to choose between putting effort to answer, and simply ignoring it. If I am hit with too much content I disagree with, eventually I'll stop coming to the forum out of frustration. But if I have means to show disagreement in a time-efficient and passive-aggressive way, with no means for the other side to say something back - that will stimulate me to stay around.

Cael

Arcane
I think buttons will be back eventually, one way or another. I believe they are good for traffic. If I see a post I disagree with, normally I have to choose between putting effort to answer, and simply ignoring it. If I am hit with too much content I disagree with, eventually I'll stop coming to the forum out of frustration. But if I have means to show disagreement in a time-efficient and passive-aggressive way, with no means for the other side to say something back - that will stimulate me to stay around.
I have been to other forums where it was basically gang warfare in forum form.

One of the forums was about New Zealand and how it loves to bully and discriminate against foreigners, usually of East Asian descent. It gained a bit of notoriety because it was reported about on national news. Immediately, packs of kiwis descended upon the place and pack raped anyone who dare say anything bad about New Zealand. Even factual articles with statistics and numbers, even articles that first appeared in New Zealand newspapers. All were voted down and the poster abused and harassed. At least one poster was doxxed and lost his job. The forum died because the good posters got sick of it all and left, leaving the kiwi scum to roam the virtual streets looking for victims. And that was a forum with just a simple :thumbs up: and :thumbs down: system.

I don't think giving people passive-aggressive means of attacking and harassing others is good for the health of any forum in the long run. Hence, why I advocate positive or neutral buttons, but not negative ones. You can disagree with what a poster said (neutral) because that is your opinion and does not say anything about the poster. You don't get to call the guy a retard (negative) because that no longer about what he posted but about him personally. If you want to call him a retard and abuse him personally, man up and write a post yourself.

Bohr

Arcane
Immediately, packs of kiwis descended upon the place and pack raped anyone who dare say anything bad about New Zealand. Even factual articles with statistics and numbers, even articles that first appeared in New Zealand newspapers. All were voted down and the poster abused and harassed. At least one poster was doxxed and lost his job. The forum died because the good posters got sick of it all and left, leaving the kiwi scum to roam the virtual streets looking for victims. And that was a forum with just a simple :thumbs up: and :thumbs down: system.

Did the good posters leave because of the 'thumbs down' though or because of the abuse, harassment and doxing? Or were the posts hidden after a certain amount of downvoting?

Cael

Arcane
Immediately, packs of kiwis descended upon the place and pack raped anyone who dare say anything bad about New Zealand. Even factual articles with statistics and numbers, even articles that first appeared in New Zealand newspapers. All were voted down and the poster abused and harassed. At least one poster was doxxed and lost his job. The forum died because the good posters got sick of it all and left, leaving the kiwi scum to roam the virtual streets looking for victims. And that was a forum with just a simple :thumbs up: and :thumbs down: system.

Did the good posters leave because of the 'thumbs down' though or because of the abuse, harassment and doxing? Or were the posts hidden after a certain amount of downvoting?
A combination of all of the above except the hidden posts which was not part of the forum. The thumbs up and down was called "reputation", so we have posters with negative reputation in the hundreds or thousands, which the packs then perversely use in their abuse of the posters, basically claiming that no one should listen to them because of their negative reputation. We already get a version of it here with degenerate Codexians trying to cover their own stupidity by pointing out other people's tags.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do you seriously think that rendering 500+ animated gifs a page comes with no cost?
It adds serious overhead.

The developer of the ratings stuff does certain things that prevent it from being a performance nightmare for users, namely:
1) He put everything into a single spritesheet, meaning one draw call with lots of polygons is possible by the browser, as opposed to doing 500 draws
2) none of his buttons are animated, meaning they don't need to be constantly redrawn and hit tested.

And it's bloody obvious from your response that you cannot into CSS.
The fact that it's looking for elements with 'opacity: 0;' is BIGLY important - those are the candidates when you're not hovering your mouse over them.
They're completely invisible, but for some reason web browsers still draw them - fully transparently!
That visibility override only applies as long as `opacity: 0;` is a match, meaning as soon as you hover over it and it fades in with `opacity: 0.1;` or whatever, the rule no longer applies.

Go look at YOUR CPU usage once the buttons come back - on a page with 500+ animated buttons on a page, your browser will be using 90%+ of a single core just rendering and updating them.
With that CSS snippet in place, that CPU Usage will go down to ~13%.
And you don't even lose the buttons; you retain full functionality of the buttons.
You retarded fucking mouthbreather.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
You have a warped notion of civility. Not too surprising, given how the lamestream media had co-opted just about every positive word in the English language to suit their needs.

Civility is never about not saying something. It is about saying something in a polite manner.

sjw: Fuck you, man! You're a denier, a child killer! You don't care about the Earth. You should be forced to just breath CO2 and see how much you like it.
Civil person: I disagree with your assertion that my premise is wrong.
The uncivil person gets to say multiple specific things while the civil person pootles around only defending themselves and not really saying anything. Civility is cucked. No-one listens while you bugger around with 'premise' and 'assertion' etc, the counter to SJWs is Trump spamming insulting, crass, simplistic tweets full of silly epithets for people - very uncivil.

Cael

Arcane
You have a warped notion of civility. Not too surprising, given how the lamestream media had co-opted just about every positive word in the English language to suit their needs.

Civility is never about not saying something. It is about saying something in a polite manner.

sjw: Fuck you, man! You're a denier, a child killer! You don't care about the Earth. You should be forced to just breath CO2 and see how much you like it.
Civil person: I disagree with your assertion that my premise is wrong.
The uncivil person gets to say multiple specific things while the civil person pootles around only defending themselves and not really saying anything. Civility is cucked. No-one listens while you bugger around with 'premise' and 'assertion' etc, the counter to SJWs is Trump spamming insulting, crass, simplistic tweets full of silly epithets for people - very uncivil.
Wrong. We are not talking about twatter here. We are talking about buttons in this forum. When the sjws cannot do their usual clicktivism, then they can't be uncivil. That is what taking the buttons away will engender.

If this was the case, we won't have the suicide stats we have. Unfortunately, it does affect people.

It affects trannies and teenage girls.

One of the forums was about New Zealand and how it loves to bully and discriminate against foreigners, usually of East Asian descent. It gained a bit of notoriety because it was reported about on national news. Immediately, packs of kiwis descended upon the place and pack raped anyone who dare say anything bad about New Zealand. Even factual articles with statistics and numbers, even articles that first appeared in New Zealand newspapers. All were voted down and the poster abused and harassed. At least one poster was doxxed and lost his job. The forum died because the good posters got sick of it all and left, leaving the kiwi scum to roam the virtual streets looking for victims. And that was a forum with just a simple :thumbs up: and :thumbs down: system.

I don't think giving people passive-aggressive means of attacking and harassing others is good for the health of any forum in the long run. Hence, why I advocate positive or neutral buttons, but not negative ones. You can disagree with what a poster said (neutral) because that is your opinion and does not say anything about the poster. You don't get to call the guy a retard (negative) because that no longer about what he posted but about him personally. If you want to call him a retard and abuse him personally, man up and write a post yourself.

After the anti-SJW signalling, now you say that it's terrible how anti-patriotic white guilt propaganda was harassed and its proponents doxxed. :makesyouthink:

Cael

Arcane
If this was the case, we won't have the suicide stats we have. Unfortunately, it does affect people.

Charlotte Dawson, August Ames, Choy Jin-Sil, Peng Hsin-Yi all would beg to differ... if only they could.

After the anti-SJW signalling, now you say that it's terrible how anti-patriotic white guilt propaganda was harassed and its proponents doxxed. :makesyouthink:
What the fuck are you on about anti-patriotic white guilt propaganda? How is that even in the picture? And how is doxxing even excusable regardless of who it is targeting? Dear Lord, mate, get help! That kind of tribalism has got to be bad for your mental health.

What the fuck are you on about anti-patriotic white guilt propaganda? How is that even in the picture? And how is doxxing even excusable regardless of who it is targeting? Dear Lord, mate, get help! That kind of tribalism has got to be bad for your mental health.

Stories about how terrible and mean whites are to non-whites have a purpose. Their purpose is to justify mass immigration, legislated discrimination against whites, the creation of a police force riddled with anti-racist ideology that's too cucked to crack down on immigrant crime, etc. I have been to South Africa, I have relatives there and others who were in Rhodesia before they were ethnically cleansed. I have seen the anti-racist future. I have seen how their businesses were destroyed, their homes made unsafe, their pensions stolen by Mugabe so that octogenarians live in terrible poverty after decades of hard work. You would know this if you knew anything about SJWs, but it seems you only care about their incivility.

But sure, I only care about this because I need mental help. Perhaps if I was put on enough psychoactive medication, enough to make me as complacent and ignorant as you, I wouldn't have noticed how even a nice, middle class suburb on the Cape Town coast has stickers for a half dozen armed response security companies plastered on the walls.

Everyone who spreads 'whites are mean' propaganda is working towards dead whites, burglarised whites, raped whites, statues of our ancestors destroyed, etc. They deserve a lot more than just doxxing; in fact, there's nothing they don't deserve.
Anders-Behrinn-Breivik-.jpg

And this is the tragedy of buttons being absent. I would have harvested so many delicious edgy ratings on this one :(

Cael

Arcane

Stories about how terrible and mean whites are to non-whites have a purpose. Their purpose is to justify mass immigration, legislated discrimination against whites, the creation of a police force riddled with anti-racist ideology that's too cucked to crack down on immigrant crime, etc. I have been to South Africa, I relatives there and others who were in Rhodesia before they were ethnically cleansed. I have seen the anti-racist future. I have seen how their businesses were destroyed, their homes made unsafe, their pensions stolen by Mugabe so that octogenarians live in terrible poverty after decades of hard work. You would know this if you knew anything about SJWs, but it seems you only care about their incivility.

But sure, I only care about this because I need mental help. Perhaps if I was put on enough psychoactive medication, enough to make me as complacent and ignorant as you, I wouldn't have noticed how even a nice, middle class suburb on the Cape Town coast has stickers for a half dozen armed response security companies plastered on the walls.

Everyone who spreads 'whites are mean' propaganda is working towards dead whites, burglarised whites, raped whites, statues of our ancestors destroyed, etc. They deserve a lot more than just doxxing; in fact, there's nothing they don't deserve.

And this is the tragedy of buttons being absent. I would have harvested so many delicious edgy ratings on this one :(
Who said anything about whites?

Oh wait. You came up with it because you are a real bona fide racist, not one of Obama's raaaaaaycists. OK. I understand now.

Oh wait. You came up with it because you are a real bona fide racist, not one of Obama's raaaaaaycists. OK. I understand now.
This is where buttons are useful. I shouldn't have to point out that New Zealand is, of course, an overwhelmingly white country. I should just rate your post retarded. Civility is wasted on an anti-racist whose retarded point of view forces him to ask rhetorical questions pretending New Zealand isn't white.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Stories about how terrible and mean whites are to non-whites have a purpose. Their purpose is to justify mass immigration, legislated discrimination against whites, the creation of a police force riddled with anti-racist ideology that's too cucked to crack down on immigrant crime, etc. I have been to South Africa, I relatives there and others who were in Rhodesia before they were ethnically cleansed. I have seen the anti-racist future. I have seen how their businesses were destroyed, their homes made unsafe, their pensions stolen by Mugabe so that octogenarians live in terrible poverty after decades of hard work. You would know this if you knew anything about SJWs, but it seems you only care about their incivility.

I dislike chinks, gooks, arab niggers and normal niggers.

Cael

Arcane

This is where buttons are useful. I shouldn't have to point out that New Zealand is, of course, an overwhelmingly white country. I should just rate your post retarded. Civility is wasted on an anti-racist whose retarded point of view forces him to ask rhetorical questions pretending New Zealand isn't white.
The problem is that you made it into a race issue. It was never about race. At no point did I mention that it was about race. You made it about race because you wanted to deflect and obfuscate. That made you the racist, not anyone else. QED, really.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You don't know you can turn off notifications for ratings? For 3 years on the Codex, you didn't turn them off?

You can only turn off notifications for rating altogether. You can't select which ratings you would like to be notified about. So I had to deal with "shit" and "retadred" if it meant I could see what people actually enjoyed about my postings through Brofists, Incline, etc.

Look who's talking, lol.

There's no bigger retard than that who thinks his taste is objective, i.e. most of the Codex.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeah, it was completely arbitrary and had nothing to do with the dumb shit you posted right before you got it. Sure.

I don't think it is a coincidence I got the tag after bashing Arcanum's poor game design. Considering how well the game (didn't) sell, I think I'm in the right.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
a small fraction went on to post :some_rating: as a response and the rest just started to ignore the posts.

And that's a good thing. It shows people have nothing to contribute to a discussion. Like people who vote only because they are forced to, yet know nothing about the candidates other than "he's funny, gonna vote for him".

So, you should not be surprised that your posts are rated "retarded" or "shit".

True, when arguing with retards I can only expect to be called a retard myself.

The problem is that you made it into a race issue. It was never about race. At no point did I mention that it was about race. You made it about race because you wanted to deflect and obfuscate. That made you the racist, not anyone else. QED, really.
Whining about how mean a white country is to east asians is a race issue. How can you think that's not about race? It's literally only about race. And they're not going to be complaining that the 11% east asians are racist against themselves, still less the 14% Maoris who are worshipped as sacred victims of racism. It's the 74% whites whose cultural, demographic and political legitimacy they are attacking.

Charlotte Dawson, August Ames, Choy Jin-Sil, Peng Hsin-Yi all would beg to differ... if only they could.
In your view, being mean to actresses or trannies or whatever is bad, because they sometimes kill themselves. It's also this terrible thing, 'uncivil'
However, it didn't even occur to you that smearing an entire country as racist might lead to bad things or be 'uncivil'.
And that's why ''civility'' is a fairly shit concept: people don't agree on what is an isn't civil. When those people went through that forum you mentioned and harassed the anti-white propagandists and doxxed one of them, they were only enforcing their view of civility by punishing discourse they considered uncivil.
Civility is just a cudgel in the hands of whichever group is culturally dominant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom