Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

Cael

Arcane
I also have a suggestion.

If God forbid the buttons should be retained everyone could have the rating he/she most often used shown next to his username.

That way the shit spammers and other retards would get some of their own medicine back.
This may prove problematic for some:

Ratings.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I also have a suggestion.

If God forbid the buttons should be retained everyone could have the rating he/she most often used shown next to his username.

That way the shit spammers and other retards would get some of their own medicine back.

How would this work out if people decided to spam :incline: instead?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Certain people have been downrating my posts—with, ironically, the very buttons they profess to hate—because they've somehow gotten it into their heads that I'm in favor of rating buttons.

In fact, I'm the original anti-cancer crusader. Where were you then, Johnny-come-lately dipshits?

Typical DU: confiscates Brofisting from GD, but leaves Brofisting in the actual game discussion subforums unmolested, so that people are encouraged to pander by posting popular opinions and can continue to suck each other's cocks for having similar tastes.

Upvotes are extremely cancerous. When Facebook began its meteoric rise to prominence in 2008, Likes suddenly appeared as a feature on virtually every vBulletin and phpBB forum. I tried to fight their addition to Uncover Reality—an erstwhile vBulletin gore forum that I super-moderated at the time—but to no avail. When I founded Goregrish in 2010, I appointed an admin who is far more Internet-savvy than I am, and he (not to mention the entire user base) wanted Likes, so I eventually gave in and allowed it.

DU, you have the cure for cancer available at the push of a button, yet you refuse to use it. Be strong and do what can, should, and must be done: Eliminate Likes, points, and all forms of bogus kudos and tomfoolery. The humor to be had from people who care about such nonsense wore thin years ago.

I don't know if anyone has already said this yet, but without seeing how many brofists each post ITT has received, I feel no desire to read through it whatsoever.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It's a good thing. You're being weaned from your addiction to what are essentially Facebook likes.

Forum software "like" functionality suddenly and not coincidentally became popular around the same time Facebook became hugely popular. Also not coincidentally, this was around the same time Internet forums were flooded with housewives who'd discovered the Internet thanks to Facebook and advancing cell phone technology. I know this because I've owned my own forum for some time and watched it happen.

All farcical bullshitting about agenda-based Brofisting aside, forum "likes" do indeed encourage declined behaviors such as pandering for likes, sycophancy, constant reposting from Reddit's front page, etc. I'm on record stating this years ago here on the Codex, though good luck finding it thanks to the shitty new forum search functionality. That said, Brofists will be back sooner rather than later. It's impossible to completely eradicate decline once it's wormed its way into the fabric of forum culture.

Surely the answer to all this is to make brofists invisible only for Blaine.

Interesting you should mention that, because they are. I blocked them with AdBlock a long time ago, and only occasionally unhide them during big gay arguments to see which polesmoking sycophants are cumswapping Brofists back and forth with each other.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ironically it's the shitposters who complain about people negatively endorsing their posts who most hate the buttons system. I would have thought it'd be the horde of people with potato PCs would be the ones but apparently they are very much in the minority behind the butthurt.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ironically it's the shitposters who complain about people negatively endorsing their posts who most hate the buttons system. I would have thought it'd be the horde of people with potato PCs would be the ones but apparently they are very much in the minority behind the butthurt.

Yeah, clearly I'm just horribly upset when people downvote my posts. It can't possibly be that I was stating a simple fact in order to make a larger point, even though I'm on record making that very same point long before post negative ratings existed, you delusional fuck.

Also, I already have all of the Brofists and all of the Kool Kredits, and this was true even before my count was artificially inflated. I don't need positive ratings from Reddit-tier Millennials, thanks. Downvote away, you utter cancers.

a34bd48dc9.png

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wasn't even talking about you, I was talking about Burning Bridges and the 3 other people in his little circle of why is the Codex so mean to me, how dare they not enjoy my posts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom