Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I wish it would be possible to download threads and read them on ebook reader.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Something like printable mode or something? I don't know, but it would be cool for more wordy threads.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The only thing that that usually does is remove the avatars and forum interface, which is unnecessary to print. I don't see what you'd gain having that done for an ebook reader though. Text and images would still be there pretty much the same as they are now, just without an interface. IIRC you can already turn off avatars and signatures, so you can achieve most of that via options already.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The only thing that that usually does is remove the avatars and forum interface, which is unnecessary to print. I don't see what you'd gain having that done for an ebook reader though. Text and images would still be there pretty much the same as they are now, just without an interface. IIRC you can already turn off avatars and signatures, so you can achieve most of that via options already.
On one forum I'm on, it reduces multi-page threads to one page for printing purposes. Though I'm not sure if it would work well with mega-threads D: .

I think it would be nice to be able to read some of discussions, especially older ones about cRPGs without having to sit and strain eyes for hours.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That really wouldn't work with threads as long as we have here. I don't get the "without having to sit and strain eyes for hours" bit though. Doesn't your e-book reader have a wi-fi connection so that you can read wherever you want?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
That really wouldn't work with threads as long as we have here.
Could be paged then but with for example 10xmore posts per page.

I don't get the "without having to sit and strain eyes for hours" bit though. Doesn't your e-book reader have a wi-fi connection so that you can read wherever you want?
Trying to open a saved Codex page crashes my device. Also, IIRC it doesn't work well with pages that aren't in print mode.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Probably is the politically correct word for "I have no clue about what I'm talking about". Probably.:smug:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Something like printable mode or something? I don't know, but it would be cool for more wordy threads.
Well you can convert html pages into pdf files.... so all you need to do now is go page by page for 500+ pages downloading and converting each one individually :salute:
Maybe something like Flashgot would let you strip a whole website in 1 go, haven't tried... but I suspect even if successful the amount of other shit you would download incidentally would not be worth it.

LP's do actually make good ereader material, because each page of posts is very long and there is only like 50 pages in most cases. So you can in fact download each one individually and convert, I have done so in the past, is not so bad and you end up with codex adventures to read:incline:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of the worst so far man. That word is used pretty damn frequently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom