Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I would like to find a post apoc, TT RPG, D20.

Tommy Gun

Arcane
As the title says, I would like to find a post apocalypse, table-top RPG, using a D20 (high roll is good). My preferences also include, guns, lasers and possibly cars, but no magic. Also, please no D6 dice pool for me.

I'd like to play in a Mad Max, The Postman, Fallout world.

I know I could "make my own game" or port something over, but maybe there is something all ready out there.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Heard about something called Degenesis which would fit the description, not sure if it's any good though...

Tommy Gun

Arcane
I've grabbed D20 Apocalypse and will give it a look, but I have an idea that D20 Modern has an odd money system, I need to reread about it, as I can not remember what I thought was odd with it.

Degenesis is a new one to me. Its free so that's a plus, I'll need to read up on it too, but I think it might be a dreaded dice pool system.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The Mutant Epoch may be what you're looking for. It's not D20, but it's solid AF. No wokeness too. Mechanically it feels very much like Fallout since it uses d00.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/90414

Punkapocalyptic is also really good. It's Mad Max the RPG in all but name (since the Punkapocalyptic skirmish game is more or less Mad Max too), but Robert Schwalb recently just downed a whole bottle of blue pills so I'm not hopeful for its future.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/304311

Last edited:

Tommy Gun

Arcane
The Mutant Epoch setting is a one of my favourites, I have the Quick Start Rules, Excavator Monthly Compendium and Pitford Gateway to the Ruins. I have used loads of Pitford in other games it's a good resource.

Punkapocalyptic is a new one for me, I will have to read up, thanks.

Andhaira

Arcane
The Mutant Epoch setting is a one of my favourites, I have the Quick Start Rules, Excavator Monthly Compendium and Pitford Gateway to the Ruins. I have used loads of Pitford in other games it's a good resource.

Punkapocalyptic is a new one for me, I will have to read up, thanks.

The latest version of mutant Epoch (came out a few years back) is excellent. Tons and Tons of options, and uses its own crunch, percantile based system. Mutant powers are also really great, and has tons of equipment to fiddle around with. You should really go with it, as you don't really need any other game to do what you want to do (you may want to tone down the mutations or just have players be non-mutant hoomans)

If you buy the core book though buy the physical version to read fully, as the pdf can be very hard on the eyes due to the small font. Many places will give you a complementary pdf if you get the hardback, which you can use to look something up on the fly.

Punkapoclytic is also a good option, it uses Schwalb's Shadow of the Demonlord ruleset. It has psychic powers I belive in addition to mutations, but I haven't played or read it.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
If you speak French, Bitume was extremely popular on the French scene (plot is that the Halley comet came with a weird disease that made everyone forget everything, including reading, so civilization collapsed and then recreated around misunderstood memorabilia). When you created your character, you also created his (starting) vehicle, within limitation of your clan in some cases (the Vikings, which were actually the Flemish and Dutch, only used tractors or buses, the Hell's Angels used motocycles only, ...). Combat was short and nasty, you could be a goner in one-two bullets. One of my players killed another because with his technical (pick-up with a machine gun behind) he cut in front of the other guy flamethrower dragster to pass over an hostile truck. "Driving test" for the dragster with -30 because, well, dragster => Fail => Crash => Explosion.

D100 system rather than D20. No fantasy and no sci-fi, it was 1980-1990 technology only. The only thing a bit non-basic was the Ants, a secret organisation who had prepared for the apocalypse by stockpiling the best the technology of the late 80ies allowed (but nothing more), had maintained it and lived in secret underground base, though they had to use the same roads as everyone to travel from one base to another.

The universe was cool, with description in the various books of what happened with Paris, Lyon, Marseilles or even the whole of Britany (with pos-apo ships rather than cars). Like all French RPG, it was full of sex, drug and alcohol.

hw2mc0w.png

in 2019, they kickstarted a new version in (and collected 7 times more than expected), now in production. Possibly they may translate it :

https://www.gameontabletop.com/cf177/bitume.html

The universe was cool, with description in the various books of what happened with Paris, Lyon, Marseilles or even the whole of Britany (with pos-apo ships rather than cars). Like all French RPG, it was full of sex, drug and alcohol.

hw2mc0w.png

in 2019, they kickstarted a new version in (and collected 7 times more than expected), now in production. Possibly they may translate it :

https://www.gameontabletop.com/cf177/bitume.html

Croc had lots of great ideas for roleplaying games, such as In Nomine Satanis. There was a new edition in the last few years, which was translated into Spanish, but I missed that and now it's hard to find.

Anyway, since we're veering into non-d20 territory, I'd like to recommend Degenesis (great setting, and the pdfs are free, there's another thread for it). A swarm of meteors carrying alien life devastate Earth after the plan to nuke them fails due to a certain billionaire's interference. The scene is set is 400 years after that, with a metaplot involving people betrayed by the aforementioned billionaire, medieval-like societies, cults brought about by the billionaire's memetics and the hidden hand that thwarted his plans, all of that while the alien lifeform infests people and turns them into its agents.

There's Eclipse Phase, too. The setting is good but it's posthumanism in space 10 years after some Skynet-like AIs go rogue and devastate Earth and the Solar System, rather than Mad Max-like.

And then there's Mutant: Year Zero. The orotagonists are half human, half animal beings, the product of some cataclysm before their birth. Their communities are headed by elders, which are the last remaining humans (there's also a metaplot here, but I didn't follow it closely).

Tommy Gun

Arcane
Punkapocalyptic my Favourite of the "new to me" ideas so far, I'm going to have a look at Darwin's World next, I can't read French so Bitume is out, also I'm stuck on using a D20. Thanks again for all the ideas.

catfood

AGAIN
If you want to try something a bit more zany I'd recommend Mutant Crawl Classics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom