Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IceBlink Basic (Engine+Toolset)

Mustawd

Playing The Birthday on iphone. Some comments:

1. Line artifacts on the minimap

D0939110-33-DD-4-A77-865-B-558-FF49692-F0.jpg

2. Are these NPCs supposed to have names? Not sure if this is a module or engine thing, but very confusing not knowing who I’m speaking with.

F7-F23484-72-A8-4-B86-B320-23-F8-C71099-AC.png

FE1-D304-D-8-A6-D-48-AA-94-D9-3-FB93-D61525-D.png

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
The line artifacts, I need to fix that. It has to do with the scaling using mostly integers and not floats. If you toggle the "zoom" button back to an integer scale, the line artifacts should go away, but then there could be lots of unused space. I'll get around to fixing that. The NPC names will show up in the log if the author assigned names to the NPC. I should also think about showing the name somewhere in the conversation screen as well...maybe under the image. I should probably add a boolean for toggling showing the name on and off. That way the name won't show up until you have met them and learned their name. The builder will need to use a script (maybe like gaShowNpcName(conversationName, true/false)) on a conversation node to change the toogle.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Posted v23 to Google Play, the NWVault, and TestFlight(hasn't been approved by Apple yet).

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Started working on the in-app review and endorsement system. Players can read reviews (the chat button), post a review (pencil button), and endorse the module (heart toggle, toggles between red and grey). The number next to the buttons tells you how many reviews and endorsements there are for the shown module.
file.php

When players post a review or an endorsement, it will show up on their device immediately. Once a review by the IB Team has been completed (less than 24 hours hopefully), the review and/or endorsement will be visible by others as well.

Thoughts?

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I submitted the IBbasic app to the Apple App Store for review. It has been available on Google Play now for a while (in Beta mode still) and on Apple's TestFlight. It may take a few days to weeks for the entire review process. I also posted Lanterna - The Exile to the in-app module downloads list.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
slowdive I've been out of the loop for a while, but I think I'm finally ready to start creating IceBlink modules. Where should I start? I understand there's something called IBbasic now. How is it different from IB2?

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
IBbasic is a much simplified version of Iceblink. IBbasic is kind of stagnant at this point as all of our focus is on the regular full Iceblink (which is PC only and has a lot more features and flexibility). You can get the latest version of the engine and toolset from the forums as Karl continues to post updates in his development thread via Dropbox. You can also get the latest from Dorateen 's recent post of the awesome Hearkenwold update (it contains the engine and toolset in the download).

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I will be streaming a playthrough of The Birthday (by Zach Holbrook) today at 2PM (AZ time UTC -07:00)

https://youtu.be/lRLNrLGYmGI

I will be testing out some of the new features of the much revamped IBbasic engine. I recently streamed playthroughs of The Raventhal and Blackwinter (both by Pongo) as well. IBbasic has been overhauled with a bunch of new combat mechanics and other features. It is in beta right now and is available for testing on PC and Android (iOS as well, but not easily available for others to test, thanks Apple sheesh). I will be playing the PC version during the stream today.

Lots of new spells for wizards, druids, clerics, rangers, and paladins
file.php

two-weapon fighting, light weapons, finesse weapons, multiple attack separated out and can be on different enemies, move - attack - move or attack - move - attack, critical hits and misses, threat range for criticals, lasting area of effect spells like entangle and web, etc.
file.php

optional "d20" screen that can be turned off/on to show modifiers and the attack roll for each individual attack (for example main and off hand attacks or multiple attacks).
file.php

Mustawd

slowdive, based on the chart below it seems combat or monster icons can only be 100 pixels high. Are there any formats for large icons? A monster bigger than a human, say an Owlbear or Ogre, thinking that would be 200X100 (or 200X200 for combat).

Any thoughts?

file.php

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
That is the table for IceBlink, not IceBlink Basic. It is also a bit outdated in that both IB and IBbasic use regular (1x1), wide(2x1), tall(1x2), and large(2x2) creature tokens. IB uses 100x100, 200x100, 100x200, and 200x200. IBbasic uses 48x48, 48x96, 96x48, and 96x96.

Side update: I am working on an improvement to the General Caster AI. So far I have the following:
//if rand(100) > 30 and not silenced then cast spell
// if rand(100) > 30 use Defense spell
// if does not have a defense spell active
// if has a major defense spell available to use then use that
// else if has a minor defense spell available to use then use that
// else don't use a defense spell and move on to next option (Responsive)
// if rand(100) > 30 use a Responsive spell
// if an ally has a hold effect, and the caster has counter spell, then use that
// else if some allies(maybe 1/3) have a debuff effect and caster has the counter spell, then remove the debuff
// else if many allies have low HP and caster has a mass heal spell, then use that
// else if an ally has low HP(<50%) and caster has a heal spell, then heal them
// else, didn't find an appropriate responsive spell so go to the next option (Random)
// pick Random spell rand(4)
// 1 -if has heal spell, but no one needs healing then try again, else use most effective heal spell available (try from major list first)
// 2 -if has buff spell, but allies(maybe 1/3) already have a similar buff then try again, else use most effective buff spell available (try
from major list first)
// 3 -if has debuff spell, but PCs already have the debuff effect or are immune(after learned) then try again, else use most effective
debuff spell available (try from major list first)
// 4 -if has damage spell, but not enough PC can be hit then try again, else use most effective damage spell available (try from major list
first)
//else attack/move

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I posted v1.0.09 to the NW Vault for testing. I think I have most all the features in at this point (I'll continue to add more of course, but the main stuff is there) so after this v1.0.09 has been tested thoroughly enough, I'll release IBbasic v1.1.10 as the initial "official" release. I'll release v1.1.10 for PC, Android, and iOS around the same time (depending on how fast Apple goes, haha).

https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/other/tool/iceblink-basic-enginetoolset

If you have some spare time to help me test v1.0.09, please download and give it a go.

I'm also thinking of having a builder contest upon v1.1.10 release to help with some publicity (which I'm bad at). The contest would have some time and scope limitations to keep it realistic for our busy lives. Maybe five areas max, 2-4 hours of play time, no custom classes/races/spells/traits etc. Thoughts?

Mustawd

Any thoughts on giving an option to reduce the sprite sizes? 100X100 seems cool in theory but it's pretty high def and not really made for pixel art. 64X64 would be a nice size option.

Mustawd

Any thoughts on giving an option to reduce the sprite sizes? 100X100 seems cool in theory but it's pretty high def and not really made for pixel art. 64X64 would be a nice size option.
IBbasic uses 48x48, 48x96, 96x48, and 96x96.

IBbasic is a much simplified version of Iceblink. IBbasic is kind of stagnant at this point as all of our focus is on the regular full Iceblink (which is PC only and has a lot more features and flexibility).

:M

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Ya, IBbasic is a different animal from IB. IBbasic is a much simplified version of IB and runs on PC, android, and iOS. IBbasic also has a built in toolset within the app and you download modules to play from within the app. IBbasic uses the FRUA/goldbox tokens as the basis for all image sizes. So I am using 48x48 as the basic square size (double GB token size). My post above for v1.0.09 is specific to IBbasic, not IB. I'm the only one coding IBbasic whereas IB has a group of coders that have helped out over the years (mostly Karl and myself) and a core group of builders (Dorateen, Pongo, Zach, Karl, myself) that have created most of the modules and engine/toolset development direction/guidance. I am currently working on both IBbasic and IB so they are both receiving regular updates at the moment. You can check out our Feature Boards to track our "progress" :P

IBbasic:
https://www.iceblinkengine.com/ib_forums/viewtopic.php?p=439#p439

IB:
https://www.iceblinkengine.com/ib_forums/viewtopic.php?p=614#p614

Some IB modules in the works:
Pongo's https://www.iceblinkengine.com/ib_forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42
Zach's https://www.iceblinkengine.com/ib_forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7
Dorateen's https://www.iceblinkengine.com/ib_forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I posted version 1.0.14 which should be the last beta version of IBbasic. Once all the bugs are found and fixed, I'll be able to release the first official (non-beta) version of IBbasic, yeah! :P

It is here at the NW Vault for PC:
https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/other/tool/iceblink-basic-enginetoolset

and here on Google Play for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iceblinkengine.ibb.ibbasicjr

v1.0.14 release notes:
Release Notes for v1.0.14
BUG FIXES
-[Done] attacks seem to do at least 1 HP even when 100% resistance to the damage type
-[Done] items with CON bonus not adding (also missing mods in item editor)
-[Done] backstab not calculating correctly and need description for improved backstab
-[Done] animal companions/summons causing issues on party screen and convo party chat screen if in middle of player list
-[Done] large creatures not calculating AC bonus from adjacent allies correctly
-[Done] large creature pathfinding issues (overlapping each other at times)
-[Done] when exiting level up early, you are not able to go back and try to level up again to choose traits/spells
-[Done] when exiting the module, the area music keeps playing
-[Done] when returning to splash screen, the play button says "Loading..."
-[Done] when the trait table says no traits at a certain level, player is still able to select a trait.
-[Done] dispel magic isn't set to dispel greater mirror image, need to add to remove effect list
-[Done] missing fx for insect swarm
-[Done] need a better fx for stone skin
-[Done] after adding Players to "default player list" in module editor screen, they are not showing up in the game
-[Done] dimension door spell not working
-[Done] Player Editor doesn't show PC tokens when trying to change the token filename (shows creature tokens)
-[Done] changed the "On Hit Cast Spell" selection in the Creature Editor to use a drop down of spells instead of text editor
-[Done] fixed the Player Editor so that you can change an equipped item to "none" if you decide to remove an item from them.

GAME ENGINE
-[Done] show symbol when conversation available for companion
-[Done] show symbol on party screen when level up is available
-[Done] add mini buttons for summons under PC button on party screen that will bring up a message box with details on summon such as time left in group, attack value, defense value, HP, etc.
-[Done] Load/Save screen to have 10 save slots, one server save, and one autosave
-[Done] add ambient area sounds (loop only) and change area music to allow for a delay between plays

TOOLSET
-[Done] add tabs so that multiple convos, areas, and encounters can be open at the same time like in IB.

clicking on the token buttons of a summon/animal companion under the PC portraits will bring up their stats and remaining time in party.
file.php

There are now 10 save slots, plus one for a server save (easy to continue on any of your devices), and one autosave.
file.php

In the toolset, I also added the ability to quickly switch between open areas, encounters, and convos by tapping on the "A", "E", and "C" buttons seen on the right side of the viewport.
file.php

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I made a basic trailer for IBbasic. I blew through my entire budget of $0 on it :P. Don't expect too much, but here it is...

I am planning on an Official Release date of November 19th, 2021. Hopefully some "streaming parties" and mini-module competition to come in December.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom