Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale 2 resolution and "fixes" questions...

Xeon

Augur
Did you try changing the settings for ddwrapper to see if it helps?
What worked for me best are:
RealDDrawPath = AUTO
BltMirror = 0
BltNoTearing = 0
ColorFix = 1
DisableHighDpiScaling = 1
FakeVsync = 0
FakeVsyncInterval = 0
ForceBltNoTearing = 0
ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 2
NoVideoMemory = 1
SingleProcAffinity = 0
ShowFPS = 0

I also play on widescreen so I didn't edge scroll too much to remember if I had any problems.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I've fiddled around with the settings, yeah, including those you just suggested. Nothing doing, I'm afraid.

This is what I'm talking about btw (full screen it): https://streamable.com/pu3ebu

Basically, the screen goes a wee bit blurry whenever I pan the camera to and fro, especially from left to right and right to left. It's not unplayable by any measure but goddamn is it ever annoying. The best 'workaround' I've found so far is to keyboard scroll instead, but it's not my preferred play style. Oh, and that tiny white dot pattern doesn't actually show up in game, thankfully.

Gargaune

Magister
Possibly, but I remember being struck by how smoothly GOG's Wine port of IWD2 ran on my MacBook Pro (pre-Catalina, i.e. back when OS X still included 32 bit support) compared to the PC version, which seemed odd. Not to mention that BG2 and PS:T are both ripple-free for some reason (BG1 is somewhere between those and the IWDs in this regard).
Well, I just had another stab at this but no go, my best results so far are still with GOG's bundled ddraw.dll. On my current machine, Aqrit's causes severe frame delays and flickering cursors with DirectDraw emulation enabled, while disabling it bugs the fog of war and makes the pan jitter even worse, same as not using a ddraw library. Toggling Hardware Acceleration in the DXCP does nothing. Still haven't tried Narzoul's DirectDraw version, but can't be arsed right now.

Interestingly, the game appears capped at 30fps per icewind2.ini. Changing that values does nothing, the game rewrites it to 30 on start, and even setting the file Read-Only doesn't appear to make a difference at runtime.

P.S.
This is what I'm talking about btw (full screen it): https://streamable.com/pu3ebu
I get a similar effect though it seems a little more jarring on my end. Again, maybe it's the video encoding. It's actually very easy to see right in the starting area on the Targos docks, panning vertically makes those wooden bridges "jitter" in place.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I appreciate the help, thanks. I suppose we'd best just make peace with it, at least until IWD2:EE is released. I'm not too keen on their proposed content changes, but if those can be modded out, I'm willing to give it a go as long as their engine turns out to be more stable than its predecessor.

By the way, I revisited one of those streams I mentioned earlier, and at a second, closer glance, the blurry jitter is indeed there as well, albeit to a lesser extent than on my rig: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/853883721?t=01h28m49s

Gargaune

Magister
I appreciate the help, thanks. I suppose we'd best just make peace with it, at least until IWD2:EE is released. I'm not too keen on their proposed content changes, but if those can be modded out, I'm willing to give it a go as long as their engine turns out to be more stable than its predecessor.
No worries, but just to clarify, by IWD2 EE you mean the community-made overhaul mod, right? I wish they'd picked a different name, whenever I see "IWD2 EE" it makes me think Beamdog found the source code.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Yeah, that's the one. And I agree that the name is… infelicitous. I've never so much as pirated Beamdog's piss-poor efforts and am not about to start any time soon.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, that's the one. And I agree that the name is… infelicitous. I've never so much as pirated Beamdog's piss-poor efforts and am not about to start any time soon.
Dunno, I'm quite happy with the IE EEs. I don't mind a bit of elbow grease, but I wouldn't object if Beamdog gave me a jitter-free, "it just works" IWD2 EE. And a Quick Loot bar, all those goblin axes in Targos took a lot of clicking.

As for the community-made IWD2 EE, might give it a go if they sort out their code but, yeah, the changes list seems... extensive.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dunno, I'm quite happy with the IE EEs. I don't mind a bit of elbow grease, but I wouldn't object if Beamdog gave me a jitter-free, "it just works" IWD2 EE. And a Quick Loot bar, all those goblin axes in Targos took a lot of clicking.

Most of the complaints about Beamdog's releases are rooted in how buggy there at release (which has mostly been patched) and not wanting to support the company financially for various butthurt reasons. So if you don't care about those things, I wouldn't sweat it. Though I do miss the original's FMVs.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Most of the complaints about Beamdog's releases are rooted in how buggy there at release (which has mostly been patched) and not wanting to support the company financially for various butthurt reasons. So if you don't care about those things, I wouldn't sweat it. Though I do miss the original's FMVs.

It's not that – I'm averse to their aesthetic and content changes. All I want is the original games kept intact and re-calibrated to run smoothly on modern machines. No frills.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not that – I'm averse to their aesthetic and content changes. All I want is the original games kept intact and re-calibrated to run smoothly on modern machines. No frills.

The new content can all be ignored or even patched out, right? I guess that could be seen as a pain in the butt, but so is modding the original in various ways.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, you can just ignore the new characters, some of the old NPCs had a similar way of forcing an interaction with you but you can just tell them to get lost. I think aside from Neera everyone can be straight up ignored. Neera has a Gem Bag iirc so you can just take it from her inventory and kick her out.

Honestly the pros far outweighs the cons for the EE, at least to me.

Gargaune

Magister
I know some people are upset about balance with all of the titles now running on the BG2 platform, but I can't really relate to that, they all play great in my non-monocled perspective. Bugs-wise, my only serious grievance is the 2.5 pathfinding bug, it's an admittedly serious faux pas for Beamdog to have let it stand for so long, but other than that I've found the v2 EEs to be quite smooth.

Yeah, you can just ignore the new characters, some of the old NPCs had a similar way of forcing an interaction with you but you can just tell them to get lost. I think aside from Neera everyone can be straight up ignored. Neera has a Gem Bag iirc so you can just take it from her inventory and kick her out.

Yep, that's how I see it too, right down to the stitching in the gem pouch.

curds

Magister
I know some people are upset about balance with all of the titles now running on the BG2 platform, but I can't really relate to that, they all play great in my non-monocled perspective. Bugs-wise, my only serious grievance is the 2.5 pathfinding bug, it's an admittedly serious faux pas for Beamdog to have let it stand for so long, but other than that I've found the v2 EEs to be quite smooth.

Yep, that's how I see it too, right down to the stitching in the gem pouch.
My main issue with the EEs is not the bugs, nor the new NPCs, nor the balance.

It's the fact that they took a 15 year old game, added some things that mods already did, then jacked up the price (significantly) while having the original versions removed from stores. The bugs and balance issues are just insult added to injury.

Gargaune

Magister
My main issue with the EEs is not the bugs, nor the new NPCs, nor the balance.

It's the fact that they took a 15 year old game, added some things that mods already did, then jacked up the price (significantly) while having the original versions removed from stores. The bugs and balance issues are just insult added to injury.
I get that perspective, but I don't feel the same way. Looking at IWD EE and IWD 2 on GOG, sure, €16 is a 100% price hike over €8, but it's still "old game" territory. For my part, I find a couple of drinks' worth a reasonable offer for a hassle-free setup, especially since your mileage may vary with mods, like the choppy camera pan above.

BruceVC

Magister
1360 x 768 looks pretty damn fine, there is no obvious blurring to my eyes.
Im about to play IWD2 and I loaded certain mods and the Widescreen mod, my native resolution is 3440x1440 but the HUD features looked tiny and toolbars dont fit the screen appropriately

Anyway I set this resolution in the WC mod and it looks fine and "normal " , Im happy and I can start playing :cool:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Im about to play IWD2 and I loaded certain mods and the Widescreen mod, my native resolution is 3440x1440 but the HUD features looked tiny and toolbars dont fit the screen appropriately

Anyway I set this resolution in the WC mod and it looks fine and "normal " , Im happy and I can start playing :cool:

you need the widescreen GUI mod as well - http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

you need the widescreen GUI mod as well - http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917
You might also need the DDraw Fix. I couldn't play the game without it, as all the colors and graphics in the game were all messed up.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

You might also need the DDraw Fix. I couldn't play the game without it, as all the colors and graphics in the game were all messed up.

that too. I use cnc-ddraw and it works flawlessly. The ddraw fix packaged with gog versions of the IE games is a little shitty IMO - kind of choppy, some bugs.

Stable formulae for getting all IE games working:
widescreen
widescreen GUI
cnc-ddraw

Did you try changing the settings for ddwrapper to see if it helps?
What worked for me best are:
RealDDrawPath = AUTO
BltMirror = 0
BltNoTearing = 0
ColorFix = 1
DisableHighDpiScaling = 1
FakeVsync = 0
FakeVsyncInterval = 0
ForceBltNoTearing = 0
ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 2
NoVideoMemory = 1
SingleProcAffinity = 0
ShowFPS = 0

I also play on widescreen so I didn't edge scroll too much to remember if I had any problems.
Just wanted to say thanks. Just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 and this worked perfectly for me, except I only had to set "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" to 2 and "NoVideoMemory" to 1. Didn't need the ColorFix or DisableHighDpiScaling turned on, at least, not that I know of yet anyway.

Snufkin

Augur

WineD3D is what i recommend, it fixed all possible graphic issues running the game. And i spend lot of time with looking at other solutions.​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom