Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Icewind Dale NWN2 conversion

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Did anyone actually play this thing? The thread about SoZ made me look up some mods, and I remembered this. Seems it was finished, but how "finished" was it?

catfood

AGAIN
I never made it past the cave near Kuldahar. Honestly the AI, the camera, the controls, the engine and everything related to it are so utterly cataclysmic that it ruins any ounce of fun that you might take from the game. I really, really wanted to like it because I like RPGs that give tons of character build options and NWN 2 delivers this in spades, but I just gave up 30 minutes in. Talk about a complete waste of time. You're much better off waiting for the IWD remake in the TOEE engine.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah I posted in 'em but no one really posted any lengthy impressions.

I never made it past the cave near Kuldahar. Honestly the AI, the camera, the controls, the engine and everything related to it are so utterly cataclysmic that it ruins any ounce of fun that you might take from the game. I really, really wanted to like it because I like RPGs that give tons of character build options and NWN 2 delivers this in spades, but I just gave up 30 minutes in. Talk about a complete waste of time. You're much better off waiting for the IWD remake in the TOEE engine.

What I'm interested in is whether it "only" suffers from the problems that comes with NWN2, or whether the mod itself has deficiencies :)

Crichton

Prophet
I gave it a try back in the day and I'd say it falls a little short once you get into the details. I can't remember everything but the one thing that sticks in my mind is that the elven chain mail isn't a 0%ASF chain shirt or suit of chainmail, it's a +4 robe with chain shirt graphics. I don't suppose that would bother everyone, but I'd built a fighter/wizard/eldritch knight with that chain shirt in mind so when that was bungled, I pretty much lost interest.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That sort of stuff could potentially annoy me, so thank you. I suppose what you mean is you build your character with armor proficiency in mind, then found a robe that could be used by anybody?

Isn't that also out of touch with the functionality of Icewind Dale? As I recall, you needed IWD's version of armor proficiency (i.e. have an amor-wearing class in there somewhere) to wear elven chainmail, right?

Crichton

Prophet
That's right, a pure wizard (or thief/mage, I believe) can't use elven chain in IWD, while a F/M, bard, cleric/mage, etc can. There is an armor suit in IWDII which does not require any armor proficiency; part of an overall pattern of decline.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm fine with pure mages being able to use armor in this mod if they need to pick up an armor proficiency feat for it. Feats replace class restrictions as far as armor goes from 2E -> 3E.

What strikes me as odd is making elven chainmail a robe, so that it can be used without proficiency at all.

EDIT: Who am I kidding, I'm going to give this ago when I'm done with the game I'm currently playing (will probably finish it tonight). I shall report back.

Last edited:
Played it long ago, got quite far before giving up. It's about what you'd expect - as good a conversions of a classic IE game into NWN engine as you can get, damning though it may sound. On the plus side there are toys that came with 3.5E, there's always some fun to be had there. On the minus side there's the fact that NWN (1 or 2) simply can't compete with IE games when it comes to actual RTwP gameplay. Not a fault of the mod, but there it is. I played a solo fighter-mage-thief hybrid and after starting near impossible the game difficulty levelled off and then dropped like a stone once I got some quality gear and spells. Not sure if it's because I progressed faster as solo, but I doubt that having four characters would make things much more difficult.

Finally I ran into a game stopping bug (could be fixed by now) - something with collecting a bunch of keys that all have to be used at once; I used them instead one by one as I got them and fucked up my game. After realising that the only way to continue is to load a three hours old save I just gave up without a second thought. Not really a good sign, though I certainly did have some fun with it (like casting flame wall and then running hasted in a circle around it while 20+ shadow orcs got roasted in the middle). Good for what it is I suppose?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though I do remember using Gamebanshee's IWD guide to play this, so maybe it is content complete.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I can't remember everything but the one thing that sticks in my mind is that the elven chain mail isn't a 0%ASF chain shirt or suit of chainmail, it's a +4 robe with chain shirt graphics.
that's not true. i just checked in the toolset - it's a +3 mithral chainmail which counts as a light armor, and needs light armor proficiency to be worn. there's also no armorrulestats.2da included in the haks to override the base rules. you either misremembered or there was an altered 2da left in your override folder.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, we're off to a bad start here. Started with 2x Coin of Life in my inventory. Since I know they're not supposed to be there it's an easy thing to get rid off... but what other stuff from the main games might be there?

EDIT: Pretty impressive though that the dwarf women dialogue checks my race and uses the SoZ dialogue interface. Little things like that didn't really have to be in there.

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
I can't remember everything but the one thing that sticks in my mind is that the elven chain mail isn't a 0%ASF chain shirt or suit of chainmail, it's a +4 robe with chain shirt graphics.
that's not true. i just checked in the toolset - it's a +3 mithral chainmail which counts as a light armor, and needs light armor proficiency to be worn. there's also no armorrulestats.2da included in the haks to override the base rules. you either misremembered or there was an altered 2da left in your override folder.

You're looking at the wrong "Elven Chain Mail" item in the toolset. The "Elven Chain Mail" from the NWN2 OC is different from the item used in this particular mod. I don't know if there's a way to search through items in the toolset but if actually play the mod, you'll find it in Severed Hand.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
You're looking at the wrong "Elven Chain Mail" item in the toolset. The "Elven Chain Mail" from the NWN2 OC is different from the item used in this particular mod. I don't know if there's a way to search through items in the toolset but if actually play the mod, you'll find it in Severed Hand.
i stand corrected - you're are absolutely right. i searched for module items including the word "elven", but somehow this didn't turn up. the "elven chainmail of the hand +3" is indeed using cloth as armor type, which is probably just an oversight. altering this is a matter of seconds. and if there's still any need, i could provide a corrected blueprint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom