Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[idea] Poster's Personal Postfolio

Yay or Nay?

• Why yes, kind sir, this is the most excellent idea!

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • No! I don't want my lack of insight exposed!

Votes: 32 76.2%

• Total voters

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
(Alternatively: Kodice's Kool Kollection :obviously: )

To legitimize calling someone clueless moron, /gd/tard, or otherwise non-contributor as a debate tactics kodexians should be given a page in their profiles where they would be able to link posts of their they consider particularly insightful and :obviously: .

One glimpse on such page would allow assessment of poster's worth, while the readily available links to monocled content buried under the mountains of inane derp could renew and revive many insightful discussions and bring the untold :incline: to the :rpgcodex: .

Sorry DraQ, but this idea is pretty lame. You're trying a little bit too hard...

Harold

Arcane
Hey DraQ, how 'bout this idea:
You actually read the fucking post in the fucking thread that you're interested in and decide whether or not it's worth your while based on the information contained in said fucking post instead of basing it on some faggotry or other.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Already is such a function, you can post all kinds of comments and/or links on your so called "personal posts" in your profile page. Lame idea, bro. The smugness caught up with you :)

DraQ

Arcane
TBH I didn't expect my idea, good or not, to create so much butthurt as is evident in this thread.

Though I guess I can just work anything I find myself frequently referring to into my signature, possibly as little clickable :smug: emotes (to honor my greatest contribution).

I just thought it would be nice to be able to answer the question that frequently arises when browsing the threads - namely "Who is this faggot and has he ever posted anything of worth?"

DragoFireheart

TBH I didn't expect my idea, good or not, to create so much butthurt as is evident in this thread.

Though I guess I can just work anything I find myself frequently referring to into my signature, possibly as little clickable :smug: emotes (to honor my greatest contribution).

I just thought it would be nice to be able to answer the question that frequently arises when browsing the threads - namely "Who is this faggot and has he ever posted anything of worth?"

The codex doesn't need a quest compass to figure out who the dumbfucks are and if someone does, it's likely they are the dumbfuck themselves.

DragoFireheart

Pfft.
I'm so hardcore I can figure if someone is a dumbfuck well before I see his username, let alone actually read any of his posts.
:rpgcodex:
:soedgythatpracticallyround:

Then you fully understand why your idea is unneeded.

DragoFireheart

Yea...butthurt...sure.

Actually I'm just tired of the smug-emoting, monocle-referencing noobs who always show up on site feedback and make some lame suggestion about how to "improve" the forum and for some reason this suggestion always includes a circlejerk of one form of another.

DraQ has good intentions, but his idea does come off as a glorified circlejerk. We already have brofisting. I'm actually surprised Darkunderlord implemented brofisting and achievements at all. I suspect he's just trolling us and/or humorously poking fun at how game in this era have so many achievements and other inane goals to satisfy ones e-peen.

DraQ

Arcane
Yea...butthurt...sure.

Actually I'm just tired of the smug-emoting, monocle-referencing noobs who always show up on site feedback and make some lame suggestion about how to "improve" the forum and for some reason this suggestion always includes a circlejerk of one form of another.

DraQ has good intentions, but his idea does come off as a glorified circlejerk. We already have brofisting. I'm actually surprised Darkunderlord implemented brofisting and achievements at all. I suspect he's just trolling us and/or humorously poking fun at how game in this era have so many achievements and other inane goals to satisfy ones e-peen.
I'd be more happy with an ability to anti-brofist posts, actually. Telling someone how shit an idea of his is is more important than telling him that it's good - in the latter case he probably already thinks that it's good on his own.
Of course it would have to be regulated, with limited ammo per day or something like that, because runaway panning is much more likely on the 'dex than runaway ciclejerk.

Generally ciclejerking and masturbating to one's own e-peen can be easily accomplished without any extra features - just put your personal the best of in signature or somewhere where people will click it and brofist you. I was thinking that making it an official feature would make more people do so, and it could then be used as a gauge of sort whether a poster is a genuine shit poster, or someone known for interesting posts currently engaging in shitty trolling spree or something.

As a side effect it could reinvigorate the codex by sparking interest in old threads , because different posters would link to different things.

Why do I think it sparked much butthurt?
Because of disproportionate response to a suggestion that would otherwise change much less than adding some new avatars for those not interested in the new feature.
Hey, vots even posted on my profile because of this thread (go check it out - it's free).

He gave me a nice idea, BTW - a "hall of shame" in your profile where others could link your most embarrassing, in their opinion, posts (not anonymously, though) would complement PPP nicely.
Hmm... maybe then the people wouldn't have to refer to Black Willow if they ever wanted to learn why am I an elite individual. :obviously:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
And the best thing it's that it's up to user to choose what he thinks puts him in the best light, that the burden of filtering his content and proving that he's a TRU BRO is on him.
Or we can let each user's individual posts speak for themselves on this discussion board, instead of drawing more attention towards meta-discussion, e-peen waving, and popularity contests.
FFS this. Ever since the ignore function has been implemented some users adopted the silly mindset according to which somehow their excellent but extremeley sensitive and fragile intellect has to be protected at all costs from (percieved) shit posts. FFS stop the penis contests and cicle jerks already, this was never what the codex was about.

edit: Shut the fuck up already DraQ

Tigranes

Arcane
The Codex already has an overbearing meta-dimension that suffocates the best bits of the Codex. Why do we want more pointless I HAVE MORE POSTS AND MORE BROFISTS mess?

In that spirit, I manually brofist the post above. :thumbsup:

Johannes

Arcane
DraQ, if you feel your awesome posts need more visibility, just include some links in your signature to show how good taste you have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art direction über alles
Stuff: Why Counter-Strike is the the greatest FPS :: Icewind Dale II Random Loot Tables :: The Definitive Icewind Dale II Extended XP Table :: Arcanum Balanced XP Cap Remover :: Why The Witcher is an intelligent game

Kz3r0

Arcane
Nomask did exactly that, due to Trash editing his posts he put a link in his signature called the very best of Nomask, so you could read the awesome posts that he hosted on another site.
Yes, Draq has reached Nomak level of AWESOME with this idea.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DraQ, this website is not a competition. Most of us come here for something other than getting others to validate what we think or write.

You are really falling into the YouTube Vlogger/DeviantArt Whore mentality.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, I like the idea. But it is unnecessary. As others have said, you can do all this on your profile page with links already. I was already planning on keeping a list of finished LPs there, maybe I'll add a section for noteworthy discussions as well.

The main problem with this is that the posters you'd actually want to know about are obscure oldfags who rarely post, and they probably won't bother with this stuff anyways. Would rather have something like maybe a list of top 5 brofisted posts in a user's history. Then you'd know whether they're known best for insightful comments on game mechanics or trolling bethesda forums really well.

DraQ

Arcane
The main problem with this is that the posters you'd actually want to know about are obscure oldfags who rarely post
Pretty much this, though it would generally be cool to know what about any poster considers his worthwhile contributions, before dismissing him outright or starting dialogue.
Personally I'd put some mechanical threads I often refer to there, particularly the ones regarding use-based systems as I refer to them quite often.

If I really wanted to just get fisted by other posters I'd just start my own dramawhore gallery in my sig (then express a desire to have tranny shit on my chest and flee the codex in shame, presumably), the problem is that I want to see what other posters have to say in this regards, not to tell the others what I do.

No, my idea is to provide each user with a page where they can link whatever their own posts they consider particularly worthwhile, for other users to see and make up their mind, possibly also sparking new interest in the old topics and reinvigorating discussion.

This could be useful for avoiding the "imma tired of talking about this every 6 months so heres a witty retordt" syndrome, but I think that a good search feature would render that meaningless.

...we are going to get a good search feature eventually, right?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why, a marvelous idea, I won't need to use my browser's bookmarks anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom