Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate If I could change one thing about Baldur's Gate 2 (that long, linear main quest)

Stella Brando

Arcane
If I could change one thing about Baldur's Gate 2, it would be breaking up that god-damn main quest. As it is, the game is divided into two parts like Full Metal Jacket: A classic first half (where you fuck around and do side quests) and a disappointing second (where you go through the story map-by-map).

If that main quest could just be broken up into some mini quests - rescue Smee Imoen/Escape Bodhi's Maze/Captured by Fish People/The Drow City/Walk through the forest - it would be much more enjoyable. Each main-quest quest would feel like it's own side quest.

It would keep the free-roaming aspect throughout the game and avoid main-quest fatigue.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this?

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Disagree, I enjoy the adventure of heading into the Underdark and so on.

I will admit it is fucking annoying when you can't access the main map, though.

Lhynn

Arcane
Side with Irenicus, give him Imoen's soul, destroy elves together.
At what point would that option even be on the table?
You character clearly does not mean shit to him, only your soul does. And after he takes it siding with him would only mean losing yourself to the beast and dying anyway. Either way itd be retarded to want to side with him

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
And after he takes it siding with him would only mean losing yourself to the beast and dying anyway
Idk why, though. Sarevok can do just fine with a fraction of your soul, but you can't? Even if Irenicus refuses to cooperate, give him a fraction of your soul after defeating him. And then suck that god-tree dry.

Lhynn

Arcane
And after he takes it siding with him would only mean losing yourself to the beast and dying anyway
Idk why, though. Sarevok can do just fine with a fraction of your soul, but you can't? Even if Irenicus refuses to cooperate, give him a fraction of your soul after defeating him. And then suck that god-tree dry.
This is a good point. Not the sarevok thing, that can easily be explained away.
If i remember correctly you are left with an empty void, not a fraction of your divine soul. That you and imoen are alive is a miracle. Both of you are husks. I think its explained, but cant recall.

But the irenicus thing, you could have been given the option of saving him. Wouldnt be smart, but it should be there.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whole game is pretty much about saving Imoen. Considering that they wanted to kill her off, and then you look at which thieves remain as options within your party - I kinda wonder what they were smoking at the time.

Then of course Beamdog has to double down in SOD and take Imoen out of your party again...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Whole game is pretty much about saving Imoen. Considering that they wanted to kill her off, and then you look at which thieves remain as options within your party - I kinda wonder what they were smoking at the time.

Then of course Beamdog has to double down in SOD and take Imoen out of your party again...
The game doesn't have to accommodate all your needs at all times. They did right by giving you a few challenges.

Falksi

Arcane
Turn based mode

Sober Characters who can walk in a straight line to where I click them too

Far fewer quests thrown at you from the off

Cael

Arcane
Sober Characters who can walk in a straight line to where I click them too
Arcanum has got to be the worst in that regard. Click on a spot to the right and the next thing you know, your toon walks in from the north...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

The game doesn't have to accommodate all your needs at all times. They did right by giving you a few challenges.

They gave you Yoshimo, Jan and Nalia. Yoshimo was great
And you could more-or-less get some XP back after he left your party
Jan was aimed at giddy morons, and Nalia was the foetus of todays's version of a libtard played straight. I just made Viconia a multi-class thief/cleric and never looked back.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom