Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could mod Underrail what would you add or change?

Piotrovitz

Savant
From top of my head:

1. More unique guns, plus make them have some advantages over the craftable ones. The only one I found to have any use was K&H MP5, and only because you can get it rather early (somewhere around Depot A?), when you don't have anything better. Other example worth mentioning is Dragunov, which you also can get early without much hassle. All the rest are underwhelming by the time you get them.

2. Make pure pistol builds viable - implement dual wielding, add more perks etc. Right now pistol builds are rather gimped.

3. Introduce some difficulty level that's somewhere between hard and dominating. On my virgin run on hard with glass SMG/grenadier build I've breezed through everything. With same build on dominating I am getting raped.

4. More use for persuasion/intimidation.

jungl

Augur
multiplayer mod where you play a crazy architect. Build a connected gauntlet grid of caves, warehouses, laboratories etc. Then run through your course see what enemies spawn. So basically random dungeon people can run through for item components. Add one time xp and collectables for trying it out once.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I would change the topology of the Deep Caverns. Rearrange locations a little bit. That's all.

Trashos

Arcane
Ah, the Codex. I disagree with 90% of the suggestions.

Anyway, here are the modifications I would do:

1) I would cut the Arke Powerplant, the lowpoint of the game.
2) I would move some of the DC areas/dungeons out of DC in order to make DC shorter. Eg, the forest.
3) I would offer re-arrangement options of the crafting screen to the player, as has already been suggested.
4) I would rework the unique weapons to make them situationally worthwhile (eg, very good against a specific enemy or with lower strength requirements).
5) I would cut all gear/feats that give real-time speed bonuses (eg, Tabi Boots, Interloper), and I would make the default speed faster (as if all those bonuses had been applied from the start).
6) I would rework the special bullets, because right now their worth is questionable.
7) I am not happy with the weapon mods, because usually there are clear best and bad choices. I would strengthen or replace the bad ones.
8) No respawning enemies. At all. Ever. OK, maybe I would place a couple of designated respawn areas out of the way.
9) I would cut most of the random events that involve combat. They make backtracking annoying.
10) I would strengthen some of the weaker builds, especially the ones that players tend to avoid.
11) I do not like the increase in enemy numbers with difficulty level, so I would try to rethink that.

(5) & (9) are two cases where I think Styg is harming his own game. For example, at some point random events were added in the area outside Blaine's shop. Therefore, I have to put on my heaviest armor and use stealth to travel through that area, making the process slower and the alternative of fast-traveling more appealing than ever. Then some of the random spawns started attacking and killing Blaine and his men, so Styg decided to lock Blaine's door every time the player leaves the area. So now I have to ring the doorbell through a dialogue screen every time I visit Blaine, making shopping there slower. One bad decision that made the game worse (random events that incentivize fast traveling) led to another decision that made the game even worse (locking Blaine's door and making shopping slower). Instead of locking Blaine's door, Styg should have accepted that it was a mistake to add random events there, and cut them from that area.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ah, the Codex. I disagree with 90% of the suggestions.

Anyway, here are the modifications I would do:

2) I would move some of the DC areas/dungeons out of DC in order to make DC shorter. Eg, the forest.
3) I would offer re-arrangement options of the crafting screen to the player, as has already been suggested.
4) I would rework the unique weapons to make them situationally worthwhile (eg, very good against a specific enemy or with lower strength requirements).
5) I would cut all gear/feats that give real-time speed bonuses (eg, Tabi Boots, Interloper), and I would make the default speed faster (as if all those bonuses had been applied from the start).
6) I would rework the special bullets, because right now their worth is questionable.
7) I am not happy with the weapon mods, because usually there are clear best and bad choices. I would strengthen or replace the bad ones.
8) No respawning enemies. At all. Ever. OK, maybe I would place a couple of designated respawn areas out of the way.
9) I would cut most of the random events that involve combat. They make backtracking annoying.
10) I would strengthen some of the weaker builds, especially the ones that players tend to avoid.
11) I do not like the increase in enemy numbers with difficulty level, so I would try to rethink that.

(5) & (9) are two cases where I think Styg is harming his own game. For example, at some point random events were added in the area outside Blaine's shop. Therefore, I have to put on my heaviest armor and use stealth to travel through that area, making the process slower and the alternative of fast-traveling more appealing than ever. Then some of the random spawns started attacking and killing Blaine and his men, so Styg decided to lock Blaine's door every time the player leaves the area. So now I have to ring the doorbell through a dialogue screen every time I visit Blaine, making shopping there slower. One bad decision that made the game worse (random events that incentivize fast traveling) led to another decision that made the game even worse (locking Blaine's door and making shopping slower). Instead of locking Blaine's door, Styg should have accepted that it was a mistake to add random events there, and cut them from that area.
where's the dog companion fit into this?

Black Angel

Arcane
And then we'll have a nonsensical situation where the facility still has some power even after (iirc) a hundred years or so. How would you go about accessing locked facility to find parts to repair the gate? Also, how would you give opportunity for characters that doesn't invest in Mechanics to repair the gate with the help of Arke's A.I?

Instead of cutting it off completely, I'd suggest making it completely unnecessary to backtrack to the power plant every time we want to access certain areas of the facility. Make it a one-time trip of simply cutting off power from the security system of the power plant and divert it completely to the rest of the Hollow Earth facility.

But then, how would you get rid of the bio-mass blocking the gate from opening? If you'll suggest to just hint the player to bring out a big ass flamethrower, or use pyrokinesis spells, or just throw molotovs like it's candy, then we'll also need to start reworking the entire Tchort enemies to be extremely weak to fire to maintain verisimilitude.
I can see getting hints or a quest to retrieve it before going down to DC, but I think it would spoil the surprise down in DC for first timers, no?

Instead, I'd suggest rethink the way to access deeper parts of the forest and/or how to retrieve the Mycokardia. I would also like to suggest to have the biocide grenade to affect tchortling, but apparently they ARE affected by it despite of having Bio immunity.

I'm not sure why this is still a problem. The respawns are timed, so it's not like you're going to clear area one time, and they literally respawn the moment you leave and re-enter the area (unless the timer is global and they'll respawn exactly as the timer dictated, in which case it's just bad luck if it actually happens). Also, if you pay attention, only certain zones has respawns.

As for respawns in DC, they only appear once the Eye stacks is maxed, and even then you can notice the holes in which the tchortling appears. There are also multiple measures to avoid getting the stacks maxed.

I'm not holding this against you personally, but didn't we already have shit loads of complains about JSawyer and his 'balance', which he achieved the way you described here?

To this I'm indifferent, since I haven't tried fiddling with the entire weapon mods, haven't seen any random encounters, nor have played on higher difficulties.

As for the rest I didn't mention, I agree with your suggestion.
That's fucked...

Trashos

Arcane
Black Angel, some changes I suggested are pretty big, and they would need further changes to make up for all the consequences. I didn't get into that much detail in my previous post, but here are some thoughts.

And then we'll have a nonsensical situation where the facility still has some power even after (iirc) a hundred years or so. How would you go about accessing locked facility to find parts to repair the gate? Also, how would you give opportunity for characters that doesn't invest in Mechanics to repair the gate with the help of Arke's A.I?

Instead of cutting it off completely, I'd suggest making it completely unnecessary to backtrack to the power plant every time we want to access certain areas of the facility. Make it a one-time trip of simply cutting off power from the security system of the power plant and divert it completely to the rest of the Hollow Earth facility.

Two possible solutions here:
a) The Faceless are there. It can easily be assumed that they did this work for you.
b) A less dramatic solution would be to keep Arke's final battle (and the 130 Electronics check, the highest in the game). But the rest of Arke does not offer the game anything, it is just really-really annoying.

But then, how would you get rid of the bio-mass blocking the gate from opening? If you'll suggest to just hint the player to bring out a big ass flamethrower, or use pyrokinesis spells, or just throw molotovs like it's candy, then we'll also need to start reworking the entire Tchort enemies to be extremely weak to fire to maintain verisimilitude.
I can see getting hints or a quest to retrieve it before going down to DC, but I think it would spoil the surprise down in DC for first timers, no?

I didn't get into that much detail in my post, but the presumption here is that in "my version" you wouldn't need all the parts you now need to get to Tchort. I want to make DC shorter. Another quick and dirty solution would be Six providing you with some of the parts.

I'm not sure why this is still a problem. The respawns are timed, so it's not like you're going to clear area one time, and they literally respawn the moment you leave and re-enter the area (unless the timer is global and they'll respawn exactly as the timer dictated, in which case it's just bad luck if it actually happens). Also, if you pay attention, only certain zones has respawns.

As for respawns in DC, they only appear once the Eye stacks is maxed, and even then you can notice the holes in which the tchortling appears. There are also multiple measures to avoid getting the stacks maxed.

I am not including tchortlings in the respawns, they are different gameplay-wise.

I do not like respawns, why do I have to beat the same exact enemies I have beat before in the same place as before? I have already won that battle, why are you making me fight it again in the same playthrough? Take the rathounds on the way to GMS for example or the beetles on the way to Junkyard. Let me walk your maps, don't force me to take the boat (in the Junkyard case) out of mere annoyance.

I'm not holding this against you personally, but didn't we already have shit loads of complains about JSawyer and his 'balance', which he achieved the way you described here?

Builds do not have to be perfectly balanced, and I am definitely not advocating for Sawyer's "all builds the player may come up with should be viable"**. But if people are not playing one of the builds that you intended them to play (eg, the Throwing Knives build is an extreme example), it probably needs a buff or some feats to make it more fun.

** Some balance is good, to an extend. Sawyer's shtick is not really "balance", that's an euphemism for his real agenda. His real agenda was that he wanted all players to be able to finish the game on first try, no matter how idiotic the build was or how dumb the player was.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Two possible solutions here:
a) The Faceless are there. It can easily be assumed that they did this work for you.
b) A less dramatic solution would be to keep Arke's final battle (and the 130 Electronics check, the highest in the game). But the rest of Arke does not offer the game anything, it is just really-really annoying.
a) But why would they? What would they really gain from helping you, especially if they haven't confirmed if you're an ally or an enemy? Now, if after our character's mind is read by their Mindreader and they confirmed we're an ally, and from there we can convince them to help us dealing with Arke to restore power, one way or another, I can see that working.
b) Iirc Arke offers you a perspective of what Hollow Earth was like before the Faceless rebellion. The point of going here and there retrieving multiple, different keycards is to slowly progress to where Arke is located, while finding the keycards themselves is a bit of adventuring momentary gameplay:
Arke_keys.jpg
Now, I realize the whole sequence could be done better. But like I said, just cutting the area/content completely is kind of a waste. I really don't remember anything annoying about this particular area other than the fact that I had to backtrack there every time to divert power to specific facility, but experiencing and clearing it isn't annoying. But then again, I've only ever finished the game twice, and I haven't actually tried playing on higher difficulties, so maybe I'm not seeing what you see here.

I didn't get into that much detail in my post, but the presumption here is that in "my version" you wouldn't need all the parts you now need to get to Tchort. I want to me DC shorter. Another quick and dirty solution would be Six providing you with some of the parts.
If there's any part that's need to be cut to make DC shorter, it's the labyrinth section. The mushroom forest only really felt annoying because of such convoluted way of getting into there, it's not annoying to go through thanks to biohazard suit. Arke's only annoying because of the backtracking, like I said. The labyrinth, though, it's only there to act as a place where they place one of the parts, for ""reasons"". Either cut the labyrinth and move the parts in there elsewhere, or rework it so it's not a labyrinth and just yet some another huge section of Deep Caverns where another Monolith is located.

I am not including tchortlings in the respawns, they are different gameplay-wise.

I do not like respawns, why do I have to beat the same exact enemies I have beat before in the same place as before? I have already won that battle, why are you making me fight it again in the same playthrough? Take the rathounds on the way to GMS for example or the beetles on the way to Junkyard. Let me walk your maps, don't force me to take the boat (in the Junkyard case) out of mere annoyance.
I really don't understand this need to just walk around the maps even though they're empty. Maybe it's just me, but when I see an opportunity to just go to a place instantly for quest-related reasons, I'd to take it any day over being forced to walk there, respawns being there or not. This is why I really hate the Foundry questline, because for some reason I still need to backtrack to Ezra one more time. If I want to walk around some maps, I'd like to have something that makes me experience the major gameplay loop that the game meant to offer.

Now look at it this way, Underrail is first and foremost a combat-centric game. You can invest in subterfuge skills as much as you want, in the end they'll be there to complement your combat skills and to help you win combat encounters. When I say Underrail is a combat-centric game, I mean that the combat will be the major part of moment-to-moment gameplay loop. What better way to provide your players the opportunity to experience the major part of gameplay loop in your game, which is combat? By giving them combat encounters. The thing is, Underrail is far, far bigger game than, say, Age of Decadence, of which every single combat encounter there is hand-crafted down to a single enemy. And so, to compensate for its size in context of giving players opportunities to experience the major gameplay loop of his game, Styg resorted to respawn mechanics. Fortunately, because he's aiming to crafting a living, breathing RPG world, Styg only limited the respawns to organic creatures such as animals and mutants, but NOT human enemies and bots. Do you see Lunatics/Lurkers you cleared in that part of the metro respawn? You don't. Same with bots, with the exception of the bots in Arke.

Builds do not have to be perfectly balanced, and I am definitely not advocating for Sawyer's "all builds the player may come up with should be viable". But if people are not playing one of the builds that you intended them to play (eg, the Throwing Knives build is an extreme example), it probably needs a buff or some feats to make it more fun.
Throwing skill was originally intended as a complementary combat skills to the rest, which are Guns, Melee, and Crossbow. I'd say it's because grenades are rather OP, especially when it's paired with crafting skills, hence its further restriction with cooldowns. Still, I remember Styg promising to look into Throwing and make it a viable main combat skill. And iirc in one of the update they increased the amount of throwing knives stack you can carry. It's now 30, I can't remember exactly how many you can carry in earlier patches, but I'm pretty sure it was much less than 30 back then.
Anyway, what other builds aren't being played? Crossbow got some good buffs like new feats and special bolts stacks increased all the way to 99 (iirc). But yeah, I can see that Throwing in particular has very small amount of feats compared to other combat skills, even though the other combat skills has multiple type of weapons like Guns has sniper rifles, assault rifles, SMGs, pistols, and the upcoming shotguns.

Rules Lawyer

Literate
third dimension of course

goddamn firearm cartridges have length as well as diameter - 7.62x25 Tokarev is not the same as 7.62x39 AK 47 ammo, not the same as 7.62x54R in a Dragunov, not the same as 7.62×70 Lapua Magnum - not the same, you hear me?

You forgot 7.62x38 for a nagant revolver, son.

agris

Arcane
Patron
1. Add mods to found weapons/armor
2. Deconstruct found/crafted items into constituents
3. Have some NPCs be able to craft certain items, given that you supply the materials

Trashos

Arcane
But why would they? What would they really gain from helping you, especially if they haven't confirmed if you're an ally or an enemy? Now, if after our character's mind is read by their Mindreader and they confirmed we're an ally, and from there we can convince them to help us dealing with Arke to restore power, one way or another, I can see that working.

They won't do it for me, they 'll do it for their own ends. I don't think this even needs in-game explanation. They are there, they wanted to turn on the power.

Now, I realize the whole sequence could be done better. But like I said, just cutting the area/content completely is kind of a waste.

Sunken cost fallacy etc-etc. I understand that a lot of work has gone into it, but if it makes the game worse -as I believe- then it should go. Alternatively, the whole respawning-robots-trick could be replaced with 1 well-designed robot battle, that warms the player up for the big coming battle.

If there's any part that's need to be cut to make DC shorter, it's the labyrinth section. The mushroom forest only really felt annoying because of such convoluted way of getting into there, it's not annoying to go through thanks to biohazard suit. Arke's only annoying because of the backtracking, like I said. The labyrinth, though, it's only there to act as a place where they place one of the parts, for ""reasons"". Either cut the labyrinth and move the parts in there elsewhere, or rework it so it's not a labyrinth and just yet some another huge section of Deep Caverns where another Monolith is located.

I wouldn't cut anything else other than the powerplant, I like the rest of the DC regions. I would just move some areas out of DC and into Underrail proper to make DC shorter. I think I understand what Styg went for with DC (survival horror/lovecraftian nightmare/want to make the player feel confusion and despair before goodbyes), but I find that the pacing and length is not correct for the game. Yeah, the labyrinth could also be moved out.

I really don't understand this need to just walk around the maps even though they're empty. Maybe it's just me, but when I see an opportunity to just go to a place instantly for quest-related reasons, I'd to take it any day over being forced to walk there, respawns being there or not. This is why I really hate the Foundry questline, because for some reason I still need to backtrack to Ezra one more time. If I want to walk around some maps, I'd like to have something that makes me experience the major gameplay loop that the game meant to offer.

OK, but the respawns are clearly there for the people who choose to walk around. I like walking around in areas that I have emptied -they are mine now- but we don't have to agree on this. And, anyway, I am not opposed at all to non-combat random events which can fill such maps too.

And so, to compensate for its size in context of giving players opportunities to experience the major gameplay loop of his game, Styg resorted to respawn mechanics. Fortunately, because he's aiming to crafting a living, breathing RPG world, Styg only limited the respawns to organic creatures such as animals and mutants, but NOT human enemies and bots. Do you see Lunatics/Lurkers you cleared in that part of the metro respawn? You don't. Same with bots, with the exception of the bots in Arke.

I love Underrail's combat. But there is already enough of it, it does not need respawns. They just make backtracking and walking around annoying, in my view. I think Styg is just trying to make the world living/breathing. I can respect that, but I do not think that respawns are a good solution. Trash encounters are trash encounters, and when you make me repeat the exact same trash encounter, it is really annoying and makes me wonder why I am playing the game.

Anyway, what other builds aren't being played? Crossbow got some good buffs like new feats and special bolts stacks increased all the way to 99 (iirc). But yeah, I can see that Throwing in particular has very small amount of feats compared to other combat skills, even though the other combat skills has multiple type of weapons like Guns has sniper rifles, assault rifles, SMGs, pistols, and the upcoming shotguns.

This is hard to answer with the expansion looming. I 'd beef up firearm pistols, for example (probably through critical chance/damage). Crossbows is a build that a lot of people try but don't finish the game with, so I 'd probably add feats there too. I am not experienced with Knives myself, but maybe the Knives build also needs some looking into.

I 'd also add feats to chemical and energy pistols, mainly because they don't have many dedicated feats.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
4E3A4B4183C0BA8EAB37524286D4AACCBFE93CD1

Look at the picture for 2 seconds and you have the answer: auto-sell feature.

Now, I know retards will sperg about realism and shit but let me give you are couple of reasons why that feature is a must-have:
1) It will reduce gameplay time to 50%: you will simply press a button instead of going around like a retard looking for traders to buy your shit.
2) It makes sense to be able to radio communicate with merchants in Underrail's world: highlight items you have buyers for.
3) I like the game but, after a couple of runs, I just want this shit out of my way: there is no challenge in doing trading runs.
4) I do deserve that loot because I fought for it but I will probably give up on it because there is no fucking way I will do 3 trading runs.

Parabalus

Arcane

Now, I know retards will sperg about realism and shit but let me give you are couple of reasons why that feature is a must-have:
1) It will reduce gameplay time to 50%: you will simply press a button instead of going around like a retard looking for traders to buy your shit.
2) It makes sense to be able to radio communicate with merchants in Underrail's world: highlight items you have buyers for.
3) I like the game but, after a couple of runs, I just want this shit out of my way: there is no challenge in doing trading runs.
4) I do deserve that loot because I fought for it but I will probably give up on it because there is no fucking way I will do 3 trading runs.

Just leave the stuff on the ground and edit your coin stack with how much it would be worth.

Thankfully there is enough money even on DOM that after Depot A you can just ignore corpses. The current system of each trader having a huge pile of your items at their feet, which you sell each time you pass by, is kinda retarded.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The way traders work is probably one of my favorite things about Underrail. Could it be improved? Sure, but I think it did enough to get you out of the human garbage truck mentality.

Sykar

Arcane

Just leave the stuff on the ground and edit your coin stack with how much it would be worth.

Thankfully there is enough money even on DOM that after Depot A you can just ignore corpses. The current system of each trader having a huge pile of your items at their feet, which you sell each time you pass by, is kinda retarded.

Never done this. Just select the most valuable loot to take with you and ignore the rest.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
1. Add romances
2. Add 'skip combat' button
3. Add more romances
4. Add tons of pointless dialogue where NPCs verbally jerk off the protagonist
5. Make combat realtime with pause
6. Add BioWare logo to the startup screen

Parabalus

Arcane

Never done this. Just select the most valuable loot to take with you and ignore the rest.

Even with 3 STR there is more valuable loot than merchants buy.

Alex

Arcane
I think a good first step would be to remove cooldowns and all those statuses like aphobia that protect you from another status for a while.

Sykar

Arcane
Thinking about that I would add TC and PK checks to replace Persuasion/Intimidation checks and strength check. For TC, it could have severe negative effects afterwards since you could make it so that the victim always remembers the tampering you did. PK could work at a reduced effectiveness. Maybe like every 40 points = 1 effective strength point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom