Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you had to choose ONE rpg to play before you die, what would it be?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Deathlord or Fate: Gates of Dawn.

curds

Magister
Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. I haven't played it yet because I want to have time set aside during which I can play this game for long periods without life's interruptions. But if death was fast approaching, I'd want to play this now.

Or, Dark Souls, which I recently played (and completed) for the first time and have decided is the greatest video game I've ever played.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
iu

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
If by "before you die" you mean I'd die immediately after beating the game, I'd pick the longest one I can think of. Like a completionist run of Nethack or something.

If instead the meaning is I'd have to only play one game for the rest of my life... I dunno, man. Probably just figure out the Bethesda action-adventure RPG with the most total conversion mods.

The Jester

Cipher
If by "before you die" you mean I'd die immediately after beating the game, I'd pick the longest one I can think of. Like a completionist run of Nethack or something.

If instead the meaning is I'd have to only play one game for the rest of my life... I dunno, man. Probably just figure out the Bethesda action-adventure RPG with the most total conversion mods.
This is the last day of your life and at the end of it you'll die, doesn't matter if you beat the game or not, what would you play then?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Years ago the two games on my bucket list were Baldurs Gate 1 and Ultima 7. BG1 because I started that game over and over for years for various reasons. I never actually got around finishing it until way into the 2010s. Ultima 7 because it was this legendary game to me that I had heard so much about but I never got to play it. Since joining the 'Dex, I managed to actually play through Ultima 4 up to 7 Black Gate (only left Serpents Isle open in case one day I really feel like playing Ultima again).

There are still many classics I feel I need to play but not one that stands out in terms of 'I absolutely MUST finish this before I die'. As far as I am concerned, if I die tomorrow, there will be no regrets. (In terms of CRPGs, that is.)

If I knew I'd die and had one more game to play I'd probably give Invisible Inc. another playthrough. Not an RPG but fuck the rules, it's awesome. Maybe Shining Force 2 for nostalgia reasons.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I am going to get hate for this but Divinity Original Sin 2.
Why?

Although I know it's extremely flawed I loved the feel of the world and the story (not the lore) was intriguing too. Lohse and The Red Prince were good friends and I liked their questlines. The combat is stupid and easy to exploit but tactical enough to keep me interested (I played on tactician/hard and had to skip some fights due to difficulty).

I might change my choice to Baldur's Gate 3 if we can choose future RPGs, I sort of have faith in Larian. Now that they're using established lore with an established tabletop ruleset I think their biggest problems in DOS2 imo - which was terrible lore and terrible combat mechanics - have a good chance of being fixed.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I am going to get hate for this but Divinity Original Sin 2.
Why?

Although I know it's extremely flawed I loved the feel of the world and the story (not the lore) was intriguing too. Lohse and The Red Prince were good friends and I liked their questlines. The combat is stupid and easy to exploit but tactical enough to keep me interested (I played on tactician/hard and had to skip some fights due to difficulty).

I might change my choice to Baldur's Gate 3 if we can choose future RPGs, I sort of have faith in Larian. Now that they're using established lore with an established tabletop ruleset I think their biggest problems in DOS2 imo - which was terrible lore and terrible combat mechanics - have a good chance of being fixed.
If one were to invest time into DOS2 or BG3, which would you pick? Barring BG3 is EA, while DOS2 is totally complete.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Age of Decadence 2, yes it will probably never happen. But atleast i'm willing to keep hoping that it will happen in my lifetime.

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous after they have implemented turn based mode and fixed all of the bugs. I will live for at least 5 more years, maybe forever :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom