Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline IGN hit with layoffs - 1Up, Gamespy and UGO shutting down

Repressed Homosexual
The question is what happens to all those old games which were using gamespy for online play? Like the first Dawn of War.
That's owned by a different company.

They've started to cut off access, though Dawn of War is still very popular, it will probably be among the very last ones to go. It doesn't look like they're pulling an EA.

Kat Bailey (1UP.com) was about the only person that talked about the tactical RPG genre... :(

She didn't have anything particularly interesting or clever to say. I have listened to many of the active time battle podcasts and I regret it. Compared to something like three move aheads, these ones sound like airheaded teenagers with nothing to say, it's apples and oranges. Another reason why the old guard annihiliates the new one in every possible way.

Multi-headed Cow

Current "journalists" are an insult to the old magazine guard who had more wisdom, more humility, and a lot more of professionalism, and knew to recognize quality when they saw it.
You're kinda overselling game magazine journalism bro. Game magazines are also where all the 11/10 game of the decade Black and White reviews came from. The only thing magazines really had going for them was fewer "List" articles since they can't drum up a lot of pageviews and comments with a "Top 10 FPS games of all time! Which is better and why??? Discuss!!!" articles in a magazine.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
awesome-meter.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Sorry to rain on the parade, bros, but this shit will likely be replaced by even worse shit, as history teaches us.

Repressed Homosexual
Current "journalists" are an insult to the old magazine guard who had more wisdom, more humility, and a lot more of professionalism, and knew to recognize quality when they saw it.
You're kinda overselling game magazine journalism bro. Game magazines are also where all the 11/10 game of the decade Black and White reviews came from. The only thing magazines really had going for them was fewer "List" articles since they can't drum up a lot of pageviews and comments with a "Top 10 FPS games of all time! Which is better and why??? Discuss!!!" articles in a magazine.

Sure they fell to the hype once in a while, they are human. But they knew how to write without using superlatives all over the place, and took their job seriously.

In fact I remember PC Gamer and CGW both apologizing later for having overrated Black and White.

Sorry to rain on the parade, bros, but this shit will likely be replaced by even worse shit, as history teaches us.

kLHUo.png

So here is my totally unbiased review...

Zeus

Cipher
Kat Bailey (1UP.com) was about the only person that talked about the tactical RPG genre... :(

Yeah, this isn't good. Without 1UP and Gamespy, this just means more people will be funneled into IGN.

A while back, Gamespy picked up a lot of good writers from PC Gamer and CGW. Rob Zacny, Troy Goodfellow, Tom Chick, Desslock, etc.

Repressed Homosexual

I simply can't tire of looking at this pic. It's the perfect mosaic, underlining a whole generation of players, industry-folk and journalists. The best picture in VG-culture ever, so far, hands down. How fitting that it's simply a still from a video.

The most discouraging is that when I looked up Doritos Halo, I didn't get results for this scandal, rather I got pages of results of gamers who found the promotion hardcore and were totally into it.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Party-pooper is a childish but appropriate term.

Honestly, I'm all for being happy when another crappy "AAA" developer fails - like the recent Gearbox fiasco - because there are successful alternative business models in the games industry, and so there is some hope that the vacuum will be filled by something of moderate value. But what good can the death of IGN do? Where are all the sites succeeding with quality games journalism? There are none. And since nature abhors vacuum, the space left by IGN will be taken over by the likes of Kotaku or Gametrailers. There is truly nothing to look forward to in the games journalism world.

Zeus

Cipher

Yeah, that's kind of my point. 1UP and Gamespy were two of the last bastions for game critics who didn't learn to write on Twitter.

Same with UGO. On the surface, it's crap, but then you realize they were funding Doomworld, one of the last decent Doom-related sites out there.

Down with Doom! Make way for CALL OF DUTY!

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, I don't care much for those sites, but I absolutely love the Retronauts podcast that is part of 1up. They go over strictly retro console games, and it's a really good and entertaining podcast. I hope it survives the 1up closure but I doubt it. :(

Repressed Homosexual
Wow, I don't care much for those sites, but I absolutely love the Retronauts podcast that is part of 1up. They go over strictly retro console games, and it's a really good and entertaining podcast. I hope it survives the 1up closure but I doubt it. :(

I don't know, to me it sounded like the same thing.

"So here's this awesome classic Japanese game, wow! It's just an awesome old-school game! Here's some awesome Wikipedia factoids now! " is pretty much the extent of the discourse that went on in the 1UP podcasts.

Stinger

Arcane
YOU FUCKING WHINY ENTITLED GAMERS DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE! NOW THEY'RE ALL OUT OF JOBS AND IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Why couldn't you just read all their articles and love everything they wrote and drive up their hits like you were supposed to?

waywardOne

Arcane
Fuck these whiners. You're crying over a little cookie crumb getting vacuumed up. IGN et al weren't the last bastion for any-fucking-thing. Mods and forums can be hosted anywhere. Blogs have made "news sites" irrelevant. Centralized information dissemination is fucking terrible for free thought and opinion exchange.

Let it all burn.

Zeus

Cipher
Fuck these whiners.

Centralized information dissemination is fucking terrible for free thought and opinion exchange.

Let it all burn.

For someone who likes free thought and opinion exchange, you certainly went apeshit at the first sight of a dissenting opinion.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I could care less about what happens to the "Game Journalism" Sites, let them :fight: Burn.

UGO on the other hand, hosted loads of Mods and some Freeware games.
It would be a pity if all those go down :( the drain...

waywardOne

Arcane
For someone who likes free thought and opinion exchange, you certainly went apeshit at the first sight of a dissenting opinion.

You didn't express an opinion (fucking christ. people cannot into rhetoric); you just bawwed "oh noes, it can only get worse from here." Address the issue with something more tangible than tears over some lone righteous straggler having to find a job. Make it count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom