Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Huh? This isn't even out yet.

TripJack

Hedonist
Never played the IL-2 games before, should I go with 1946 or Cliffs of Dover?

TripJack

Hedonist
eww gog is gross

*wtf it's back on steam now, crisis averted

Last edited:

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
To followup on the above posts, game is now in alpha early access stage.....which means it's about as unfinished as a procrastinator's novel.

That being said, have any chumps bros actually taken the plunge and given the alpha a go? Thoughts? Impressions?

Burning Bridges

I have not, but from the mood in their forums it's as good as IL2 was at it's time. Flying over Stalingrad and attacking lorries over and over may be boring to some people, but it seems they have a very good foundation.
The winter terrain is a bit if a turnoff, but I'm convinced they will make a summer map soon after this one is finished. The Lavochkin 5 is just about ready, and Pe-2 and Fw190 are coming soon. I'm sure more interesting stuff will follow in the years to come.

I think it's already fair to say that this game will become the spirital successor to IL2. This will be the Russian style ww2 flight sim for the next 10 years. I just don't see what could go wrong.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Thanks BB. I like your enthusiasm.
A "spiritual successor to IL-2-Russian style WW2 flight sim" with longevity and moddability (of course) is exactly what I'm hoping BoS will be.

Burning Bridges

I think that's the pill you have to swallow. I almost completely forgot to tell about mods. But lately I am not much interested in mods as I used to be.
If the game comes with 8 planes, I think I can live with that.

Burning Bridges

What about the single player campaign modus? I loosely followed previous updates and they were all without the single player campaign.
They surely did not release that in such short time?

Burning Bridges

I think you're mixing this up, 777 are not responsible for CoD.

Here is how I understand it:
Ubi pulled the plug, Maddox / Shevchenko were fired
CoD was released in unfinished state, 1C promised that everything would work out with the sequel/addon Battle of Moscow
1C pulled the plug on CoD BoM too, when it became clear that the situation would never improve*
1C gave it to 777 to make a new game with the IL2 name
2 years later this game is almost ready and looking pretty good

Some completed assets from BoM may have ended up in BoS, some Russian planes, Me 109s perhaps.
Otherwise there seems to be no connection to CoD whatsoever
It is not fair to put 777 in any relation to the CoD desaster, because they work fast, efficient and make reliable software. They completed this project in less than 2 years.

*I guess when a team has operated under such work ethics for 10 years and not really completed anything, the only option is to fire all of them and start over with a new team.
The guy allegedly responsible for the IL2 desaster Ilya Shevchenko is currently hiding for what could constitute a kickstarter scam - taking 160,000$ and not finishing anything.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dcs-ww2-the-next-kickstarter-scam.92865/

titus

Arcane
Patron
I wasn't referring to 777 specifically but to whoever sold the unfinished game and left it that way. Sure, the dev is to blame for its state, but they didn't put it out to sale, did they?
Anyway, hope this will not be another clusterfuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom