Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars I'm KotORing

circ

Arcane
again.

1 looks better than Mass Effect. Pretty much. Sure the poly's aren't up to spec but there's nothing wrong with the textures. And the combat is infinitely better. I hadn't played it for a long long time because Taris is boring personified, but now I had forgotten everything about the place and it wasn't so bad. Even found a quest I had never done before earlier, I think. Something about being some twi'leks dancing partner.

Anyway. It was moderately painful to set up to run with win7 and 1080p but it works. Some graphical glitching in some areas where you only see half the NPCs body, from the torso up. So I got to Dantooine and got pretty tired of the Disneywars. And I can't darkside my groupmates either, or lightside.

So I installed KotOR 2. Updating that to 1080p went smoothly and I didn't have to dick around with the movies either to not have it crash. Good thing I've forgotten most of this too because Peragius always made me give up replaying it. Too bad 2 actually downgrades all the textures from 1 and still takes a fps hit. Good work Obsidian. And oh damn what the hell happened. The audio was fine in 1, but in 2 it sounds like they converted all the audio to 2 bits. Really not looking forward to most groupmates either.

Anyway. I'm looking for a mod that gives femexile Handmaiden. I got one mod that's supposed to do that and it installed into /override just fine, but didn't make any changes in /modules, so I'm not sure it's gonna work. Becaue fuck that soldier guy jesus. Anyone know of another mod that does this?

Any mods that upgrade the audio? It's awful. I've tried the filefront audio update links but they're all dead.

Don't care about restoration patches because there's nothing noteworthy to restore. Other fun mods of interest are fine though.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well i know the mod you are talking about and it should work... It should allow you to recruit anyone of them (unless you are talking about another mod).
There are some texture improvements, model improvements, improved music, restoration mod (yes i know), there was a rebalance mod (not sure what the name is).

Sadly the mods are mostly gone =(

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How was it painful to run? I just played it last year on Win7 and had no issues.

Anyway I finally finished it for the first time last year, always got bored halfway through before that. It's an okay game but so fucking unsurprising and simplistic in its plot, locations and dialog. If you're not amazed just to be RPGing in Star Wars it's just an endless slog to some degree. Also the small rooms to fit on Xbox really makes it feel small and poorly designed.

circ

Arcane
It was painful in that the widescreen patcher program didn't want to patch the retail version properly so I had to get 3-4 no cd versions until I found one that worked with it. And then there were issues with some missing .dll and some other issues like having to disable movies.

From a technical standpoint it's pretty amazing though. It's got hair and clothing physics, which I completely forgot about. This from a game from 2003. Meanwhile... neither Skyrim or Mass Effect has either of these - unless you mod Skyrim and even then it's pretty glitchy.

Anyway, I got the handmaiden patch to work - it just wanted the restoration patch installed first. Oh well. Not sure it works as I just got out of Peragius but install went fine anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It was painful in that the widescreen patcher program didn't want to patch the retail version properly so I had to get 3-4 no cd versions until I found one that worked with it. And then there were issues with some missing .dll and some other issues like having to disable movies.

I'm not sure having widescreen is worth disabling movies, if that's what you mean. The movies are pretty frequent and important. I guess it's easier for me to play in 4:3 though, since I have a 16:10 monitor. Less empty space.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Can't go on in Taris.
Jeez. I got down to the Black Vulkar gang and lost will to play on with the combat.
Just tone it down to Easy and walk past it.

RK47

Patron
Yeah, exactly - there's nothing worthwhile in KOTOR 1 to explore. Jolee Bindo is something but that's it.
Talking with Carth over 5 mins made me realize why I hate him so much.
And hearing his voice again. UUUUUGHHH.
GET OUT - GET OUT.

Modron

Arcane
How could you forget how annoying Carth is? He has been in pretty much every Bioware game since.

bat_boro

Arcane
Yeah bro, I'm currently KOTOR-ing too, playing the second one and having a blast. I play it with the widescreen mod and the TSL restoration mod. Good times. Only downside is the game crashes every 5 to 10 minutes and sometimes corrupts my savegames, but I got over that. Otherwise it's really pretty great.

circ

Arcane
I've been playing KotOR 2 now, got Dantooine and parts of Nar Shaddaa done. And really I don't know what I was smoking years ago because I used to think the story had some good parts - but it's total garbage. Not a single groupmate is remotely interesting either.

Oh well. Handmaiden patch worked fine and I got a Mira for darksiders patch too, and that works fine also, well as fine as K2 can work. Damn I forgot how buggy this is. Of all the quests so far everyone has had a glitch of some kind. Some glitches were gamebreaking - like spawning an NPC behind a door that's supposed to open but stays locked. Lots of reloading so far. Forgot just how uninspiring the areas were too - specially GOTO's ship. KotOR 1 had a few tiny but atleast interesting areas - like Tatooine and I guess Manaan.

RK47

Patron
KOTOR2 is a religion of peace. Kill those who insult KOTOR2.

Endemic

Arcane
I guess I'm the only one who didn't experience any gamebreaking bugs in KOTOR2 :?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"1 looks better than Mass Effect. Pretty much. Sure the poly's aren't up to spec but there's nothing wrong with the textures. And the combat is infinitely better. I hadn't played it for a long long time because Taris is boring personified, but now I had forgotten everything about the place and it wasn't so bad. Even found a quest I had never done before earlier, I think. Something about being some twi'leks dancing partner."

Troll post by SW fanboy.

The KOTORS are merely average games if lucky. The MEs are 1 million times better.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"1 looks better than Mass Effect. Pretty much. Sure the poly's aren't up to spec but there's nothing wrong with the textures. And the combat is infinitely better. I hadn't played it for a long long time because Taris is boring personified, but now I had forgotten everything about the place and it wasn't so bad. Even found a quest I had never done before earlier, I think. Something about being some twi'leks dancing partner."

Troll post by SW fanboy.

The KOTORS are merely average games if lucky. The MEs are 1 million times better.

As games? Maybe. As RPGs? Look the difference in side quest design between the Mass Effect series and the Kotor duology.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"As games? Maybe. As RPGs? Look the difference in side quest design between the Mass Effect series and the Kotor duology."

MEs do EVERYTHING better. They even do the HOT alien chicks better.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been playing KotOR 2 now, got Dantooine and parts of Nar Shaddaa done. And really I don't know what I was smoking years ago because I used to think the story had some good parts - but it's total garbage. Not a single groupmate is remotely interesting either.

Yeah and Kreia is overrated - in fact she is just a boring old woman, obsessed with 'revenge' on everyone who 'wronged' her. She reminds me of a certain god in PoE mythology, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom