Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm loving the fuck out of Runaway 2.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
At first it was the cel-shaded art style that drew me in but the more I play it the more and more I enjoy the fun characters and nice, old-school point-and-click gameplay. I haven't played the first part of the series and I think I would probably enjoy this more if I had, but regardless it's an excellent game in its own right. I've only put in about 5 hours though...

Here's a YouTube video of the game's beggining in action: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yqv-BhNfUKA

Here's Amazon's plot synopsis:
Hawaii, an idyllic island paradise. It's the spot Brian Basco and Gina Timmins have chosen to take a well-earned vacation. An impromptu daytrip to a remote and relatively uninhabited island goes awry, however, Brian forces Gina from the plane, giving her the only working parachute. Brian luckily survives the plane?s crash landing, but Gina has disappeared, setting the stage for a highly entertaining story. Humor, hotties, hijinks and a hilarious plotline all combine to make a fantastically fun adventure in Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle, the sequel to 2003's smash-hit adventure, Runaway, A Road Adventure. In Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle, players will travel the world, from Alaska and Hawaii to the depths of the sea and the sky above. Become immersed in a tongue-in-cheek story where you'll meet a crazy cast of miscreants in order to solve a mystery too weirdly entertaining for words in this title that pays homage to all that was great about the glory days of graphical adventure games.

Runaway24b.jpg

3_12-feb-2007_16-06-05.jpg

g316.jpg

00117708.jpg

Damn, I love the graphics! Oh yeah, apparently there's also a version of this game available for the DS that uses only 2D sprites.

TheLostOne

Savant
Hmm.. wonder if this will run on my work laptop.

Just finished replaying Secret of Monkey Island and I'm down for some more adventure goodness.

Should I track down the first one or is the storyline pretty self contained?

Edit: Should have read your post a bit more carefully. Missed that you haven't played the first.

Nedrah

Erudite
Hey,

let me advise you to definitely play the first one before this. You will miss A LOT of "between the lines" stuff if you don't. That, and the first game is actually even better, offering pretty awesome brainfood (riddles) and great, sometimes over the top, humor - and I love the soundtrack.

So, yeah, get and play Runaway 1, get pissed off about the slight cliffhanger, remember you already got the second, so you're not as pissed off anymore, play the second game, then be REALLY pissed off about the MAJOR cliffhanger and wait for part 3 along with everyone else.

Also, if I haven't done so already, I should really add this to our adventure list.
Does anyone feel like doing the entry?

A user named cat

Runaway 2 is a damn great game, I played and finished it back when it first leaked on torrents about a year ago. Still need to buy it, worth another play.

Like Nedrah mentioned, without spoiling anything -- the ending will piss you off.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Phantasmal said:
Runaway 2 is a damn great game, I played and finished it back when it first leaked on torrents about a year ago. Still need to buy it, worth another play.

Stupid thief, as if you ever will buy it. You'll find an excuse each time you have the opportunity to.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The first game was just a mediocre adventure game but of course nowadays a mediocre adventure is like the best adventure of the year. Is the second game better, worse or of the same quality?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Jasede said:
Phantasmal said:

Stupid thief, as if you ever will buy it. You'll find an excuse each time you have the opportunity to.
I will torrent this Runaway game right away. Twice. And then i will seed it to numerous other freeloaders.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, it's assholes like you that are the reason why there'll prolly not be a Runaway 3. Jerks! But I know - when the day of judgment comes you shall PAY for your SINS and the LORD will strip you of your mortality and you shall suffer an eternity in the flames of gehenna until the time of the heavenly kingdom on Earth draws night for a thousand years on which you will lament your fate - and only once they pass will you realize that you were wrong to be thieves and you will praise the LORD's name, PRAISE his name as he strikes you down forever with rightous fury while those without sin ascend with Jesus and the Lord to make a new Earth upon which the paradise will last for all eternity.

TheLostOne

Savant
Jasede said:
No, it's assholes like you that are the reason why there'll prolly not be a Runaway 3. Jerks! But I know - when the day of judgment comes you shall PAY for your SINS and the LORD will strip you of your mortality and you shall suffer an eternity in the flames of gehenna until the time of the heavenly kingdom on Earth draws night for a thousand years on which you will lament your fate - and only once they pass will you realize that you were wrong to be thieves and you will praise the LORD's name, PRAISE his name as he strikes you down forever with rightous fury while those without sin ascend with Jesus and the Lord to make a new Earth upon which the paradise will last for all eternity.

Err... Most christians would say the lord is going to fuck up the furfags before he goes after the software pirates, J.

Anyway, pirating does suck, but what can you do. Flying off the handle isn't convincing anyone.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I was just kidding, at least mostly. It still saddens me, though, that companies, especially small ones like the guys who made the Runaway games, are losing sales just because of some dicks who pirate out of convenience going "I'll maybe buy it one day" to calm their conscience. Even the good old Razor1911 and Fairlight and Deviance .nfos always remind those guys to buy the game ASAP if they liked it, and yet, they end up never doing it.

Krafter

Scholar
I bought and played the first Runaway and loved it. I've bought the second, but it still sits in my 'to play' pile. I'll get to it at some point.

The artwork is amazing, and worth it all by itself, and I'm not a graphics guy. At all. I wish more games would do this sort of thing, instead of every single game using one of 3 or 4 engines.

denizsi

Arcane
I've been seeing both the first game and the sequel on major cd/book/etc. stores here for about two years straight (for about $10 each), looking at them with curiosity every time I see them. I may but at least the first game now.

Educated
Why would anyone pirate an adventure game? Seriously guy, thats like ramming the knife up the anus of the genre even further.

Adventure games need all the sales they can get. I'm not saying Runaway specifically deserves it all, but.....just buy the damn games. What is it like $9 on steam? Christ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom