Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not to mention the lack of hardware scrolling that makes the viewer go cross-eyed due to the waviness of unaccelerated scrolling. It's better to employ fucking flip-screen if hardware scrolling isn't an option.
Don't know what the fuck is wrong with your eyes if it makes you go cross-eyed, but that's an issue you should bring up with your optometrist. Unless you're playing some outdated action game this isn't an issue.
That’s just stupid. You miss out on so much greatness, like Might and Magic 3-5 and the early Ultimas.

Might and Magic 3 is still very easy to get into and a great game.
Or Legacy - Realm of Terror, Dungeon Master, every DM-clone, Wasteland...The EGA/VGA-era is literally the second biggest source of quality RPGs for a reason.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Not to mention the lack of hardware scrolling that makes the viewer go cross-eyed due to the waviness of unaccelerated scrolling. It's better to employ fucking flip-screen if hardware scrolling isn't an option.
Don't know what the fuck is wrong with your eyes if it makes you go cross-eyed, but that's an issue you should bring up with your optometrist. Unless you're playing some outdated action game this isn't an issue.
That’s just stupid. You miss out on so much greatness, like Might and Magic 3-5 and the early Ultimas.

Might and Magic 3 is still very easy to get into and a great game.
Or Legacy - Realm of Terror, Dungeon Master, every DM-clone, Wasteland...The EGA/VGA-era is literally the second biggest source of quality RPGs for a reason.
As well as Bard’s Tale, the Gold Box games, Wizardries, Dark Sun, etc etc

Lilura System Shock is more advanced, for sure, but I didn't find the gameplay as fun.

I remember the UI being a clunky chore. I enjoyed BaK core gameplay far more.

Probably because SS is much more difficult than BaK and you have to think a lot more. SS actually has genuine gameplay; BaK doesn't.
:nocountryforshitposters:

BaK had excellent spellcasting that rivals almost all games since, and has excellent combat mechanics. I understand that you're quick to invoke hyperbole when crusading for your biases, but be real. BaK had much better gameplay.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Recommending anything from the 80s to a newcomer is just taking the piss. Most of the oldfags around here don't even bother with games from the 80s.
I dunno about that. Dungeon Master, Ultima IV/V and Starflight are perfectly playable today. I think half of those even have modern-day sourceports. If OP can figure out Amiga emulation there's some more good games from the later half of the '80s. The problem with '80s games is DOS's non-existent early sound and the CGA palette.
This thread is recommendations for a newbie though. I can't recommend Quest of the Avatar as an introduction to the Ultima series, and I can't recommend Proving Grounds as an introduction to the Wizardry series, or Pool of Radiance as an introduction to D&D games. It's much easier if you work your way back to those older titles.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This thread is recommendations for a newbie though.
Indeed. This thread is like:

- OK, guys, I drank some Miller yesterday, what kind of cool alcohol drinks you can recommend?

- TAKE A 100 GR GLASS, FILL IT WITH 4/5 BEER AND 1/5 VODKA, DRINK; THEN 3/5 BEER 2/5 VODKA, DRINK, THEN 2/5 BEER AND 3/5 VODKA, DRINK, AND SO ON. BEST STUFF EVER!
- OHOTA STRONG, AND MAKE SURE TO DRINK IT WARM!
- VODKA AND CHAMPAGNE 1 TO 1, FOLLOWED BY A SLICE OF PINEAPPLE!

Take it easy, guys, he just finished Morowind, that's all.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This thread is recommendations for a newbie though.
Indeed. This thread is like:

- OK, guys, I drank some Miller yesterday, what kind of cool alcohol drinks you can recommend?

- TAKE A 100 GR GLASS, FILL IT WITH 4/5 BEER AND 1/5 VODKA, DRINK; THEN 3/5 BEER 2/5 VODKA, DRINK, THEN 2/5 BEER AND 3/5 VODKA, DRINK, AND SO ON. BEST STUFF EVER!

Gross.

Heyo, rpg_ghoul! From relatively non-archaic (early 2000-s, late 90-s) and still enjoyable old, but very remarkable games (which personally played by me), i can recommend:

Might & Magic 6: Mandate of Heavens
Might & Magic 7: For Blood and Glory
Deus Ex 1
System Shock 2
Risen 1
Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (with latest patches or Unity version)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Recommending anything from the 80s to a newcomer is just taking the piss. Most of the oldfags around here don't even bother with games from the 80s.
I dunno about that. Dungeon Master, Ultima IV/V and Starflight are perfectly playable today. I think half of those even have modern-day sourceports. If OP can figure out Amiga emulation there's some more good games from the later half of the '80s. The problem with '80s games is DOS's non-existent early sound and the CGA palette.
This thread is recommendations for a newbie though. I can't recommend Quest of the Avatar as an introduction to the Ultima series, and I can't recommend Proving Grounds as an introduction to the Wizardry series, or Pool of Radiance as an introduction to D&D games. It's much easier if you work your way back to those older titles.
Obviously one would play Ultima IV after Ultima VII in this case. Its very easy to understand for the era, but difficult to master. On the other hand, I wouldn't even suggest the wireframe Wizardries at all, but then I'm decline that way.
Either way all of that stuff should wait until the noob is comfortable with having a notepad window open. Its so easy to forget if you don't write it down.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Fallout is a good choice, although maybe this time Arcanum could have been the better first choice despite being not as focused or well designed, since it's a more ambitious game with tons of role-playing options and quests.

If you really want to scratch your Morrowind itch, and don't mind trying out older titles, you should play Ultima: Underworld (basically proto-Morrowind set in a giant dungeon, a very immersive first-person game), Darklands (the superior sandbox experience, with a very interesting setting, simulationist mechanics, and quests with multiple solutions), Gothic 1 (tighter gameplay and setting than Morrowind, and technically a better game, but it doesn't feel as creative and it's more restrictive gameplaywise), Daggerfall (not as good or well designed as Ultima Underworld, but definitely a more ambitious title with tons of content and hundreds of towns to explore), Ultima IV (a very old exploration-focused game that offers tons of freedom, innovative non-violent mechanics and an excellent plot), Arx Fatalis (a more modern Ultima Underworld successor, it's a well crafted game but I didn't like it as much)... And if you need to play more modern RPGs because you're a spoiled zoomer, you could try Expeditions: Conquistador and The Age of Decadence.

In other words, you should avoid combatfag and storyfag games until you feel more comfortable with this genre, and focus on immershunfaggotry and exploration-heavy games with tons of customization options for your characters. Avoid blobbers (except maybe Wizardry 8, Wizards and Warriors and Dragon Wars, which are exploration-heavy and not-as-abstract games), tacticool turn-based games and genocide-simulators in general (including 99% of JRPGs) and storyfaggotry in general.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Obviously one would play Ultima IV after Ultima VII in this case.
Why would anyone recommend Ultima VII to a zoomer? Its groundbreaking simulationist mechanics have been surpassed long ago and won't impress people who grew up playing games like Minecraft, its setting is kind of crap, its plot about old-age and modernity might be too subtle for young people and it's not that great either, its early mouse-driven UI is atrocious, its RPG mechanics are non-existent, exploration isn't as good as more modern games like Morrowind, combat is abysmal, and compared to the previous games in the series it's a really dumbed-down game stripped of much of what made the series unique in the first place.

It makes way more sense to recommend Ultima IV despite being older and clunkier, since that's still a very unique and memorable experience that plays very different from the popamole zoomers are used to play today.

mushaden

Scholar
Fallout 1

If you can't get into it, Underrail could be good foreplay.
Yes, I've been enjoying Fallout 1. Probably have it finished today if it really is only 20 hours.

take your time, and scratch all itches for multiple playthroughs.

More thoughts:
I don't really care for Fallout 2.
If you like action-type stuff like Morrowind, VtMB is action and good. As far as other action, I haven't played FO:NV, but I trust the folks who like it as high mid-tier .
Planescape Torment is great, but it was so much reading that I started using a guide. I figured I wanted as much lore and sidequests as was possible, but I didn't want to read through everything again on a new playthrough. I'll probably replay again soon, though, because it is great and I still missed stuff.
If you want more stereotypical fantasy, Baldur's Gate is probably your best bet. BGII is the first CRPG I finished. It was epic then, and I still think it's epic. Plenty here think it's lame, though.
I've only played Arcanum once. It has a great atmosphere/world. I'm looking forward to playing it again, but I'm not sure it makes my top 5.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
If you like Star Wars at all, KOTOR I & II are great starter RPGs. KOTOR II has a very very good story with great characters. It does not have the great exploration that Morrowind has, but it remains one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
I'm a bit burnt out on Star Wars, but I hear KOTOR is a bit different in how things look? It's set 4000 years behind or something?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
KotOR is set 4000 years before the prequels. The systems are loosely based on D&D 3rd Edition, but gameplay is pretty straightforward and streamlined. The first game is fun and a quick playthrough, but KotOR 2 is a terrible slog and not worth anyone's time.

Vyadhis

Learned
If you do play BG1 please play it your first time without tutu and don't give beamdog money by purchasing the EE. You should experience the game in that form at least once for a playthrough.

As for KOTOR I'm able to get it running fine in an XP virtualmachine. Same can be said for a lot of older games people will recommend and XP VMs are pretty easy to set up. I use virtualbox for infinity engine stuff and vmware for titles with 3d like System Shock 2 and KOTOR. I think vanilla BG1 does run fine in w10 but I have issues with longish alt-tabs so that's why I prefer playing it on virtualbox

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Why am I getting the feeling that you look like your pfp in real life?
Do you have something against bald people you chink cunt?
I'll have you know that's discrimination and it's the current year.
Disgusting.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It makes way more sense to recommend Ultima IV despite being older and clunkier, since that's still a very unique and memorable experience that plays very different from the popamole zoomers are used to play today.

Why not Ultima V? I know that it doesn't have the unique main quest and virtue mechanics, but it's still a good game and in my opinion a newbie wouldn't tolerate some of the nuisances like the inability to buy ships or lack of diagonal attack, it's more polished overall.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

Why not Ultima V? I know that it doesn't have the unique main quest and virtue mechanics, but it's still a good game and in my opinion a newbie wouldn't tolerate some of the nuisances like the inability to buy ships or lack of diagonal attack, it's more polished overall.
Nothing wrong with that, I personally like Ultima IV more and that's it. I believe Ultima V's a fine sequel, an overall robuster experience, and technically speaking the superior game, but nevertheless it lacks soul and, despite first impressions, it's not as clever or well designed as the previous game. Still, it's has the best and most polished Ultima-style engine (come at me Magic Candle-fags) which makes exploration a bliss, so of course it's not a bad choice for beginners who are up to the challenge.

xuerebx

Erudite

Nothing wrong with that, I personally like Ultima IV more and that's it. I believe Ultima V's a fine sequel, an overall robuster experience, and technically speaking the superior game, but nevertheless it lacks soul and, despite first impressions, it's not as clever or well designed as the previous game. Still, it's has the best and most polished Ultima-style engine (come at me Magic Candle-fags) which makes exploration a bliss, so of course it's not a bad choice for beginners who are up to the challenge.

I've recently purchased Ultima IV to 8 (there was a big sale on GOG so I just bought everything) and I understand there are two very good 'remakes' for Ultima V (Lazarus) and VI (Dungeon Siege mod [U6P]) which use the Dungeon Siege game engine (which coincidentally is also on sale for just €0.97). I haven't played neither the originals nor the remakes, but I'm not sure if it's something newcomers to the series could use? Like I said, I don't know if these are recommended, but every time I was researching the early Ultima games they kept cropping up. Plus, I'd like to hear what people here think about them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
NetImmerse was renamed Gamebryo in 2003. :M

No, it wasn't just a renaming. It's an "evolution."

You're just trying to distance New Vegas from Oblivion and OwG; its germ. New Vegas looks, feels and plays much more like Oblivion and OwG than it does Morrowind. They are almost nothing alike.
As I've pointed out repeatedly in past discussions, Obsidian created Fallout: New Vegas on the same engine as Fallout 3 Oblivion with Guns making virtually no changes, so it's a truism to say that it is more similar to Fallout 3 than to Oblivion and likewise more similar to Oblivion than to Morrowind. However, to anyone who has spent even a few minutes tinkering with the construction sets of these games, it is apparent that each game was built on the engine of its predecessor --- as it should also be to anyone who has played these games. There are even residual variables, first used in Morrowind, that continue to appear in later games despite no longer having any function.

Obviously one would play Ultima IV after Ultima VII in this case. Its very easy to understand for the era, but difficult to master. On the other hand, I wouldn't even suggest the wireframe Wizardries at all, but then I'm decline that way.
Either way all of that stuff should wait until the noob is comfortable with having a notepad window open. Its so easy to forget if you don't write it down.
The original Wizardry was ported to many other systems, including some with substantially improved graphics and interface. You could, for example, play it using an NES/Famicom emulator or a TurboGrafx16CD emulator:

38061-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif
43260-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif

43261-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif
66846-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.png

483316-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-title-screen.png
483321-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-wow-check-this-out.png

483329-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-this-orc-looks-pretty.png
483332-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-you-can-also-remove.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom