Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rpg_ghoul, Aug 5, 2020.

1. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    I'm definetly gonna check the wizardry games out sometime.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Red Panda Sleeping the big sleep Patron

Red Panda
    Wizardry 4 is considered to be the best starting point to the series i heard.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I couldn't stomach U6, but I thought U6P was very good, so I'd recommend it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    I haven't played them. Lazarus looks really good and its soundtrack is beautiful, but it also looks more like a generic early 00's storyfag RPG than an actual Ultima game focused on exploration and immershun: It has no keyword-based dialogue, a dumbed-down magic system, slow RTwP combat and exploration, no way to explore the sea (blasting sea monsters and pirate ships and toying around with the wind spell was a huge part of the early Ultima games) and I would bet my ass its world isn't nearly as open or interactive. It just doesn't seem right.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    [​IMG] This is what I've got so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. dacencora Scholar Patron

dacencora
    I actually think that one of the previous suggestions was best. Play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It is so good, and will be right up your alley after Morrowind.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    Yeah, what I bought isn't 100% based off what I wan't to play the most, that's just what was on sale, what I want to play the most is Baldurs Gate I&II, Gothic II, Witcher III: Wild Hunt, System Shock 2, etc. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is on sale but people tell me it's boring? It's still $35 AUD though, looks like I'm gonna have to start dealing heroin.

^ Top  
  8. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This account can't be real. There's no way a genuine seventeen year old can enjoy Wizardry.

I'd add Deus Ex OG and it's cool mod the Nameless mod as my 2 cents but OP if you are not secretly a 35 year old please graduate high school. Overdosing on too much Baldur's Gate 2 may pose a serious obstacle.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    No, I am very much a teenager and am willing to do what I can to prove it. I know it seems weird me getting in to all this old stuff, but I can only attribute it to me liking games which don't hold your hand and that don't try to be more like a movie, plus I've always been in Sci-Fi and High Fantasy, and loved the concept of stuff like D&D but never had the resources. As for Wizardry, obviously it's not going to have me addicted like Morrowind or The Witcher might but I'm sure I could have some fun with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    I also have to say some things to make the Autists and Gatekeepers happy, I may not be busting to play Underrail, but everyone keeps talking about it so I'll ateast try it.

^ Top  
  11. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Don't hoard any more games, finish (or at least play them for a while) these ones first.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. George Duroy Scholar

George Duroy
    You know you aren't obligated to play those games to please the codex. In fact most of the people here talk about them day and night just to be an edgy progamer but they haven't played any of them and they mostly play AAA popamoles.
    Play what you want and what games fit the most with your tastes.
    We can't decide for you.

• FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    You will enjoy Ultima Underworld more, I think. The other Ultima titles are quite dated by now and personally I never liked them.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    Yeah I know, my main point of this post was to get 5 or so solid RPGs, but its starting to turn into an argument over whats better/better for an RPG noob. I am interested in alot of this though, and I got a few laughs from this thread.

^ Top  
  15. EldarEldrad Learned

EldarEldrad
    I was always interested what the fuck do you mean by API in this context? How is Application Programming Interface applies to the so called RPGs?

^ Top  
  16. dacencora Scholar Patron

dacencora
    It doesn't mean anything. Lilura is just a retard. I would recommend not thinking too hard about his opinions because they're very autistic.

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    After Person Inclinations

^ Top  
  18. rpg_ghoul Literate

rpg_ghoul
    Yeah, I'll at least finish the Fallouts before I get anymore. The rest (besides Morrowind) I got for free, but I will pick up more games if they have another sale on any of the games I want to play the most. I'm at home 24/7 currently, so they won't last me too long.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    I played Ultima Underworld recently, and it was pretty fun. However I stopped at around level 4 in the underworld as it got repetitive (and I had started KotC - wrong move on my part to play two games at the same time).

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Play Fallout 1, Arcanum, Underrail, Pathfinder Kingmaker (with Turn Based mod...or wait till v2.0 TB comes out officially), Planescape Torment, Geneforge 2, Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade
    Once you finished these try Age of Decadence, Try Tales of Maj'Eyal, Wizardry 6 & Wizardry 7

These are modern games which you should be able to digest nicely.
    • Fallout 1, Arcanum - have shit combat but amazing quest/world design. Classless Sandbox.
    • Underrail - has serviceable minimalist plot with amazing world design/exploration and awesome combat. Classless gated exploration heaven. Amazing non-scripted C&C based on Character build.
    • Pathfinder Kingmaker - meh and derpy plot a decent combat, lots of character variation and frankly the only modern swallow-able d20 game. Class system and d20.
    • Planescape Torment - shit combat. Great story. If you like this the best, better go play classic Sierra Adventure Games.
    • Geneforge 2 - Very unique RPG where you create monsters as your party members. Geneforge 2 is my favorite. But you can't go wrong with any of these honestly. But 2 is a very good pick for just one game in the series. Geneforge 2 has the best Choice and Consequence in the series.
    • Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade - What if a Hollywood movie was made into an RPG? This is the result. No particular aspect is spectacular; but all the aspects come together for an experience greater than the sum of its parts. Also what vampires should be represented as rather than the gay sparkly shit poplar these days.
    • Age of Decadance - Fair Warning extremely punishing unless you know what you are doing. Without reading guides for builds and stuff, you are gonna die repeatedly unless you learn the game system. Zero Exploration. Amazing Scripted Choice & Consequence. Low Fantasy. Punishing Difficulty even for number-crunching RPG Veterans if they go in blind. But beating it with your own build is extremely rewarding. But there is no shame in reading up a guide about your intended playstyle after dying several dozen times if the alternative is dropping this gem in frustration.
    • Tales of Maj'Eyal - A very modern and accessible Rogue-like on the market. Expect to die a lot.
    • Wizardry 6,7 - Blobbers. Very Fun. Make a party, kill stuff and loot treasure in FP mode. If you are open to emulation or playing console game remake. Elminage Original and Elminage Gothic are excellent candidates to try in place of Wizardry 6/7 for a more modern experience.
    Play these 11, and decide which game you like and then ask for classic reccos depending on which aspect of which game you liked and wanna get hit again.

AND Jesus Christ Codex, wtf is wrong with you dicks. Recommending a teen newcomer to obscure 80's game? WTF man.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    17 yo who wants to play old RPGs?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  22. dacencora Scholar Patron

dacencora
    And then you recommend Geneforge, LOL. Anyways, most everybody was recommending Fallout which is 1997

^ Top  
  23. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    I'll pretend this is a genuine 17-year-old asking a genuine question...

Baldur's Gate 1+2
    Dark Souls 1+2
    Kingdom Come Deliverance
    Grimrock 1+2
    Planescape Torment
    The Witcher 3

If you're feeling brave, also play Fallout 1+2, Might and Magic 7 and Lands of Lore 1.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    I dunno man I used to play Dark Sun on my hand-me-down tincan of a computer when I was la kid. It was glorious.

There are kids like that. We should keep ourselves open on the low chance he is not a troll.

One of my colleague's alcoholic 17 year old son was given Pokemon Sapphire by me for time-pass during (((corona))) lockdown and a way to deal with his withdrawal. He enjoyed it immensely and asked me for similar games not necessarily pokemon but where you can play monsters and stuff. I gave him Geneforge and his dad is abusing me for getting him into games.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    alcoholic 17 year old son? cool

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.