Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?

rpg_ghoul

Literate
NetImmerse was renamed Gamebryo in 2003. :M

No, it wasn't just a renaming. It's an "evolution."

You're just trying to distance New Vegas from Oblivion and OwG; its germ. New Vegas looks, feels and plays much more like Oblivion and OwG than it does Morrowind. They are almost nothing alike.
As I've pointed out repeatedly in past discussions, Obsidian created Fallout: New Vegas on the same engine as Fallout 3 Oblivion with Guns making virtually no changes, so it's a truism to say that it is more similar to Fallout 3 than to Oblivion and likewise more similar to Oblivion than to Morrowind. However, to anyone who has spent even a few minutes tinkering with the construction sets of these games, it is apparent that each game was built on the engine of its predecessor --- as it should also be to anyone who has played these games. There are even residual variables, first used in Morrowind, that continue to appear in later games despite no longer having any function.

Obviously one would play Ultima IV after Ultima VII in this case. Its very easy to understand for the era, but difficult to master. On the other hand, I wouldn't even suggest the wireframe Wizardries at all, but then I'm decline that way.
Either way all of that stuff should wait until the noob is comfortable with having a notepad window open. Its so easy to forget if you don't write it down.
The original Wizardry was ported to many other systems, including some with substantially improved graphics and interface. You could, for example, play it using an NES/Famicom emulator or a TurboGrafx16CD emulator:

38061-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif
43260-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif

43261-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.gif
66846-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-nes-screenshot.png

483316-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-title-screen.png
483321-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-wow-check-this-out.png

483329-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-this-orc-looks-pretty.png
483332-wizardry-i-ii-turbografx-cd-screenshot-you-can-also-remove.png
I'm definetly gonna check the wizardry games out sometime.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've recently purchased Ultima IV to 8 (there was a big sale on GOG so I just bought everything) and I understand there are two very good 'remakes' for Ultima V (Lazarus) and VI (Dungeon Siege mod [U6P]) which use the Dungeon Siege game engine (which coincidentally is also on sale for just €0.97). I haven't played neither the originals nor the remakes, but I'm not sure if it's something newcomers to the series could use? Like I said, I don't know if these are recommended, but every time I was researching the early Ultima games they kept cropping up. Plus, I'd like to hear what people here think about them.

I couldn't stomach U6, but I thought U6P was very good, so I'd recommend it.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I've recently purchased Ultima IV to 8 (there was a big sale on GOG so I just bought everything) and I understand there are two very good 'remakes' for Ultima V (Lazarus) and VI (Dungeon Siege mod [U6P]) which use the Dungeon Siege game engine (which coincidentally is also on sale for just €0.97). I haven't played neither the originals nor the remakes, but I'm not sure if it's something newcomers to the series could use? Like I said, I don't know if these are recommended, but every time I was researching the early Ultima games they kept cropping up. Plus, I'd like to hear what people here think about them.
I haven't played them. Lazarus looks really good and its soundtrack is beautiful, but it also looks more like a generic early 00's storyfag RPG than an actual Ultima game focused on exploration and immershun: It has no keyword-based dialogue, a dumbed-down magic system, slow RTwP combat and exploration, no way to explore the sea (blasting sea monsters and pirate ships and toying around with the wind spell was a huge part of the early Ultima games) and I would bet my ass its world isn't nearly as open or interactive. It just doesn't seem right.

Lilliput McHammersmith

800d0f47a7a296c7a9152acb008fdd72-full.jpg
This is what I've got so far.
I actually think that one of the previous suggestions was best. Play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It is so good, and will be right up your alley after Morrowind.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
I actually think that one of the previous suggestions was best. Play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It is so good, and will be right up your alley after Morrowind.
Yeah, what I bought isn't 100% based off what I wan't to play the most, that's just what was on sale, what I want to play the most is Baldurs Gate I&II, Gothic II, Witcher III: Wild Hunt, System Shock 2, etc. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is on sale but people tell me it's boring? It's still $35 AUD though, looks like I'm gonna have to start dealing heroin.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

This account can't be real. There's no way a genuine seventeen year old can enjoy Wizardry.

I'd add Deus Ex OG and it's cool mod the Nameless mod as my 2 cents but OP if you are not secretly a 35 year old please graduate high school. Overdosing on too much Baldur's Gate 2 may pose a serious obstacle.

rpg_ghoul

Literate

This account can't be real. There's no way a genuine seventeen year old can enjoy Wizardry.

I'd add Deus Ex OG and it's cool mod the Nameless mod as my 2 cents but OP if you are not secretly a 35 year old please graduate high school. Overdosing on too much Baldur's Gate 2 may pose a serious obstacle.
No, I am very much a teenager and am willing to do what I can to prove it. I know it seems weird me getting in to all this old stuff, but I can only attribute it to me liking games which don't hold your hand and that don't try to be more like a movie, plus I've always been in Sci-Fi and High Fantasy, and loved the concept of stuff like D&D but never had the resources. As for Wizardry, obviously it's not going to have me addicted like Morrowind or The Witcher might but I'm sure I could have some fun with it.

rpg_ghoul

Literate

I also have to say some things to make the Autists and Gatekeepers happy, I may not be busting to play Underrail, but everyone keeps talking about it so I'll ateast try it.

Duralux for Durabux

No, I am very much a teenager and am willing to do what I can to prove it. I know it seems weird me getting in to all this old stuff, but I can only attribute it to me liking games which don't hold your hand and that don't try to be more like a movie, plus I've always been in Sci-Fi and High Fantasy, and loved the concept of stuff like D&D but never had the resources. As for Wizardry, obviously it's not going to have me addicted like Morrowind or The Witcher might but I'm sure I could have some fun with it.
You know you aren't obligated to play those games to please the codex. In fact most of the people here talk about them day and night just to be an edgy progamer but they haven't played any of them and they mostly play AAA popamoles.
Play what you want and what games fit the most with your tastes.
We can't decide for you.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

You will enjoy Ultima Underworld more, I think. The other Ultima titles are quite dated by now and personally I never liked them.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
You know you aren't obligated to play those games to please the codex. In fact most of the people here talk about them day and night just to be an edgy progamer but they haven't played any of them and they mostly play AAA popamoles.
Play what you want and what games fit the most with your tastes.
We can't decide for you.
Yeah I know, my main point of this post was to get 5 or so solid RPGs, but its starting to turn into an argument over whats better/better for an RPG noob. I am interested in alot of this though, and I got a few laughs from this thread.

EldarEldrad

Savant
With a few exceptions, I don't recommend pre-1995s to even 20-year Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Arcanum veterans. Life's too short to play primitive, pre-API shit like that.
I was always interested what the fuck do you mean by API in this context? How is Application Programming Interface applies to the so called RPGs?

Lilliput McHammersmith

With a few exceptions, I don't recommend pre-1995s to even 20-year Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Arcanum veterans. Life's too short to play primitive, pre-API shit like that.
I was always interested what the fuck do you mean by API in this context? How is Application Programming Interface applies to the so called RPGs?
It doesn't mean anything. Lilura is just a retard. I would recommend not thinking too hard about his opinions because they're very autistic.

rpg_ghoul

Literate

Don't hoard any more games, finish (or at least play them for a while) these ones first.
Yeah, I'll at least finish the Fallouts before I get anymore. The rest (besides Morrowind) I got for free, but I will pick up more games if they have another sale on any of the games I want to play the most. I'm at home 24/7 currently, so they won't last me too long.

xuerebx

Erudite
You will enjoy Ultima Underworld more, I think. The other Ultima titles are quite dated by now and personally I never liked them.

I played Ultima Underworld recently, and it was pretty fun. However I stopped at around level 4 in the underworld as it got repetitive (and I had started KotC - wrong move on my part to play two games at the same time).

I am 17 years old, and I recently got into The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and have been really enjoying it despite it being a year older than me. It's like I was made for this type of game, so I started to do research and found out about all the classics people love; Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on. I am excited that there are all these amazing games I've never played, but I don't know where to start. I picked up the first Fallout on GOG for $4.59 and am going to start that tomorrow, but besides that, I just want to know which RPGs should be in priority queue of my backlog.
Play Fallout 1, Arcanum, Underrail, Pathfinder Kingmaker (with Turn Based mod...or wait till v2.0 TB comes out officially), Planescape Torment, Geneforge 2, Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade
Once you finished these try Age of Decadence, Try Tales of Maj'Eyal, Wizardry 6 & Wizardry 7

These are modern games which you should be able to digest nicely.
  • Fallout 1, Arcanum - have shit combat but amazing quest/world design. Classless Sandbox.
  • Underrail - has serviceable minimalist plot with amazing world design/exploration and awesome combat. Classless gated exploration heaven. Amazing non-scripted C&C based on Character build.
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker - meh and derpy plot a decent combat, lots of character variation and frankly the only modern swallow-able d20 game. Class system and d20.
  • Planescape Torment - shit combat. Great story. If you like this the best, better go play classic Sierra Adventure Games.
  • Geneforge 2 - Very unique RPG where you create monsters as your party members. Geneforge 2 is my favorite. But you can't go wrong with any of these honestly. But 2 is a very good pick for just one game in the series. Geneforge 2 has the best Choice and Consequence in the series.
  • Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade - What if a Hollywood movie was made into an RPG? This is the result. No particular aspect is spectacular; but all the aspects come together for an experience greater than the sum of its parts. Also what vampires should be represented as rather than the gay sparkly shit poplar these days.
  • Age of Decadance - Fair Warning extremely punishing unless you know what you are doing. Without reading guides for builds and stuff, you are gonna die repeatedly unless you learn the game system. Zero Exploration. Amazing Scripted Choice & Consequence. Low Fantasy. Punishing Difficulty even for number-crunching RPG Veterans if they go in blind. But beating it with your own build is extremely rewarding. But there is no shame in reading up a guide about your intended playstyle after dying several dozen times if the alternative is dropping this gem in frustration.
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal - A very modern and accessible Rogue-like on the market. Expect to die a lot.
  • Wizardry 6,7 - Blobbers. Very Fun. Make a party, kill stuff and loot treasure in FP mode. If you are open to emulation or playing console game remake. Elminage Original and Elminage Gothic are excellent candidates to try in place of Wizardry 6/7 for a more modern experience.
Play these 11, and decide which game you like and then ask for classic reccos depending on which aspect of which game you liked and wanna get hit again.

AND Jesus Christ Codex, wtf is wrong with you dicks. Recommending a teen newcomer to obscure 80's game? WTF man.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I am 17 years old, and I recently got into The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and have been really enjoying it despite it being a year older than me. It's like I was made for this type of game, so I started to do research and found out about all the classics people love; Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on. I am excited that there are all these amazing games I've never played, but I don't know where to start. I picked up the first Fallout on GOG for $4.59 and am going to start that tomorrow, but besides that, I just want to know which RPGs should be in priority queue of my backlog.
Play Fallout 1, Arcanum, Underrail, Pathfinder Kingmaker (with Turn Based mod...or wait till v2.0 TB comes out officially), Planescape Torment, Geneforge 2, Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade
Once you finished these try Age of Decadence, Try Tales of Maj'Eyal, Wizardry 6 & Wizardry 7

These are modern games which you should be able to digest nicely.
  • Fallout 1, Arcanum - have shit combat but amazing quest/world design. Classless Sandbox.
  • Underrail - has serviceable minimalist plot with amazing world design/exploration and awesome combat. Classless gated exploration heaven. Amazing non-scripted C&C based on Character build.
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker - meh and derpy plot a decent combat, lots of character variation and frankly the only modern swallow-able d20 game. Class system and d20.
  • Planescape Torment - shit combat. Great story. If you like this the best, better go play classic Sierra Adventure Games.
  • Geneforge 2 - Very unique RPG where you create monsters as your party members. Geneforge 2 is my favorite. But you can't go wrong with any of these honestly. But 2 is a very good pick for just one game in the series. Geneforge 2 has the best Choice and Consequence in the series.
  • Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade - What if a Hollywood movie was made into an RPG? This is the result. No particular aspect is spectacular; but all the aspects come together for an experience greater than the sum of its parts. Also what vampires should be represented as rather than the gay sparkly shit poplar these days.
  • Age of Decadance - Fair Warning extremely punishing unless you know what you are doing. Without reading guides for builds and stuff, you are gonna die repeatedly unless you learn the game system. Zero Exploration. Amazing Scripted Choice & Consequence. Low Fantasy. Punishing Difficulty even for number-crunching RPG Veterans if they go in blind. But beating it with your own build is extremely rewarding. But there is no shame in reading up a guide about your intended playstyle after dying several dozen times if the alternative is dropping this gem in frustration.
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal - A very modern and accessible Rogue-like on the market. Expect to die a lot.
  • Wizardry 6,7 - Blobbers. Very Fun. Make a party, kill stuff and loot treasure in FP mode. If you are open to emulation or playing console game remake. Elminage Original and Elminage Gothic are excellent candidates to try in place of Wizardry 6/7 for a more modern experience.
Play these 11, and decide which game you like and then ask for classic reccos depending on which aspect of which game you liked and wanna get hit again.

AND Jesus Christ Codex, wtf is wrong with you dicks. Recommending a teen newcomer to obscure 80's game? WTF man.

obscure 80's game

And then you recommend Geneforge, LOL. Anyways, most everybody was recommending Fallout which is 1997

Curratum

I'll pretend this is a genuine 17-year-old asking a genuine question...

Baldur's Gate 1+2
Dark Souls 1+2
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Grimrock 1+2
Planescape Torment
The Witcher 3

If you're feeling brave, also play Fallout 1+2, Might and Magic 7 and Lands of Lore 1.

17 yo who wants to play old RPGs?

62715648.jpg

I dunno man I used to play Dark Sun on my hand-me-down tincan of a computer when I was la kid. It was glorious.

There are kids like that. We should keep ourselves open on the low chance he is not a troll.

One of my colleague's alcoholic 17 year old son was given Pokemon Sapphire by me for time-pass during (((corona))) lockdown and a way to deal with his withdrawal. He enjoyed it immensely and asked me for similar games not necessarily pokemon but where you can play monsters and stuff. I gave him Geneforge and his dad is abusing me for getting him into games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom