Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm sorry, but Morrowind simply is not a good 'game' but it is a good digital world

Is Morrowind a good game?

• Yeah

Votes: 118 65.6%
  • Nah

Votes: 62 34.4%

• Total voters

Shadenuat

Arcane
If Morrowind had animations and texture changes for every of dozen things affecting its combat it would have been a very interesting combat system.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Everything mentioned in the original post is a valid criticism, but a good part of what is mentioned in there can also be fixed (or at least alleviated) with mods to an extent that is mostly unavailable for other RPGs.

Sure, generic NPC AI can be fixed by creating a new game on top of Morrowind's executable. Also good luck scripting anything in Morrowind, the language is so NOT powerful.

I think Bethpizda games get more into uncanny valley the more NPCs get pseudo-lifelike. Back they in Morrowind, people just accept the way they are without negativity. In Skyrim, they notice small discrepancies and see as absurd. There can't be a game WITHOUT discrepancies in AI behavior from what we'd expect. So better not to try at all.

For a great bow experience play ESO...

Last edited:
tes_combat.gif

SlimySneakyAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

The only things about Morrowind that have aged horribly are parts of the UI and the walking speed.
Seriously, that walking speed... :lol:
I have no clue how I ever played that without the mod that makes movement bearable.

You cheesed the game with a 2 second Resist Magicka 100% spell combined with the Boots of Blinding Speed, just like everyone else.

Or he didn't dump speed and athletics, movement is tolerable with a decent starting value in those. Sucks if you're a wizard, Harry though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
All of the Elder Scrolls games are shit and there are other games that do a better job of everything, and anyone with a good knowledge of gaming knows it. Even in 2002 a lot of people were saying it felt like a shallower, offline, MMORPG. I didn't care too much because back then some people still had no internet, and a lot of people were children who couldn't play an MMO because the subscription requires a credit/debit card. So Morrowind was as good as it got for people like that. Meanwhile everyone else was playing UO, EQ, DAOC, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom