Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm very butthurt about Modern Gayfare 2

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hardly. BTE requires multiple games hitting ass and leg, with great bells tolling on the background.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
racofer said:
Hardly. BTE requires multiple games hitting ass and leg, with great bells tolling on the background.
Well the DA stuff from taleworlds is not as good yet it is in BTE p2....

racofer

Thread Incliner
DreadMessiah said:
Well the DA stuff from taleworlds is not as good yet it is in BTE p2....
bur6.jpg

Data4

Arcane
Looks like I was late to this party. Tried it. Hated it. It's too god damned balls to the wall. Quake 3-era shooters were much better. There were lulls in the action, tension build-up, and then a payoff. MW2 is just a pretty blitzkreig of mindless pew pew pew. Blech.

ever

Scholar
lol

I don't think there are too many shooters around whose engines aren't either rooted in one of the idtechs or use the unreal engine

A user named cat

After watching all 7 parts of Generation Kill (pretty good HBO series) I feel the need to play MW2 and shoot some fucking pricks. This damn game is taking like 30 minutes to install though, good grief. Looking forward to just smashing people, CoD always delivers the short blasts of fun.

A user named cat

What was so bad about the last episode? Aside from the cheesy part of the marines walking away during the video montage. I really wanted to kick Captain America in the face, by the way. What a retard he was.

Phantasmal said:
What was so bad about the last episode? Aside from the cheesy part of the marines walking away during the video montage.

Exactly that. The whole ep felt like after staying relatively neutral for the entire series they just suddenly wanted to get the WAR IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD point across.

A user named cat

Yeah I see what you mean. Supposedly all of it was based on a book and true story though, not entirely sure about the montage part. I don't believe I'd like to stand there and watch footage of all the mutilated families after having seen them in person, once would be enough.

As for MW2, this CoD4 formula just feels stale after playing World at War. Just not as fun as I thought it'd be. I wish IW would make an entire game more in the direction of the Chernobyl mission from MW1, don't see that happening unfortunately. On a side note: the first mission in MW2 almost felt like playing an episode from Generation Kill, they even have all the gear and terminology spot on. I also like hearing Keith David, such an underrated actor and a great voice.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Considering that Chernobyl was the mission where you had to shoot less than anywhere else in CoD series and concentrate on something that was actually good - but alas, this is IW.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Considering that Chernobyl was the mission where you had to shoot less than anywhere else in CoD series and concentrate on something that was actually good - but alas, this is IW.
Shooting less = Better?

The Chernobyl mission was just following the instructions of your superior of when to stop and when to run.

The best mission in CoD4 was the one where you run up a hill as an Azerbaijani advance comes towards you with tank, artillery, and other troops, and then you have to run back down, in the midst of all those hundreds of troops to get to the rescue point.

Loads of fun crawling in ditches as endless firing happens around you from barns and the fields, and then quickly jumping back up, shooting a few, and crawling down through some place again. The one mission where the arcadey style of the game made most sense.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Except the attack uphill is spoiled by the respawn triggers - no point in shooting grenades through windows into buildings because there is no-one there, until you cross an arbitrary line and WHOOSH magical enemies appear!

And the run downhill is meaningless because of the same reason - you can easily sprint down as the enemies are spawning, meaning you don't have to shoot anyone.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Shooting less = Better?
Shooting part in CoD series sucks so hard. Slow bots just stand in one place waiting for you to kill them (and optionally visit their respawning location). Thanks to gaympads.

The Chernobyl mission was just following the instructions of your superior of when to stop and when to run.
And that was the better part of the game which kinda tells everything. Especially considering that it didn't have respawns unlike other 80% of the game.

Even a "corridor" shooter with a gameplay like that but without the stupid handholding (commander) would've been pretty cool.

A user named cat

MW2 has the most annoying, forced hand holding. The fucking on screen indicators of "FOLLOW HIM'' and someone on your headset repeating infinitely ''Get to this place, asshole!'' really needs to go. They give you next to no chance just to explore or even look at much of anything on most levels.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
COD games are so freakin easy how the hell can anyone not explore the itty bitty maps?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh my, that was a crappy, crappy shooter. The little rational sense that there was in MW1 had been thrown out of the window and Jerry Bruckheimer is even more tightly sitting on the lead designer chair.

Few "memorable" moments - in the Transformers / GI JOE sense that I'll forget them by next week - and somewhat engaging shooting. Took me longer to d/l than to play-through.

Tried the spec ops but boy do they suck too. I'd be really angry if I had paid 60 bucks for this.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You guys still have no idea just how tempted I was to buy this game JUST for the airport scene. :)

I guess all that stopped me was that I realistically do not have any time at all for videogames or anything other than jumping in quickly for five to ten minute stretches on internet message boards.

Seeing that even GarfunkeL and Phantasmal dislike it makes me realize that I only missed out on a rage-worthy experience. Hell, it's the lowest user rated game on Metacritic among recent releases.

Why it's the best? Is it because it can be finished in three hours? Is it the lack of leaning? Or maybe that, just like MW, all guns are essentially the same?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Wyrmlord said:
You guys still have no idea just how tempted I was to buy this game JUST for the airport scene. :)

I guess all that stopped me was that I realistically do not have any time at all for videogames or anything other than jumping in quickly for five to ten minute stretches on internet message boards.

Seeing that even GarfunkeL and Phantasmal dislike it makes me realize that I only missed out on a rage-worthy experience. Hell, it's the lowest user rated game on Metacritic among recent releases.

What? Are me and Phantasmal some sort of lowest common denominator check?

Anyhow, the airport scene is weak. You are forced to walk, the civilians run back and forth in front of you to ensure they get killed, the airport is inhabited by clones who don't even know how to beg for their lives properly.

And what's best, the player is supposed to believe that a random Ranger guy is in under 24 hours turned into a CIA spy, planted into Makarov's gang AND he manages to gain their trust to get on the mission. Even if you keep Shepherd's conspiracy in mind, it doesn't make any sense. Well, neither does the fact that Russia can in 2 days manage to invade US both coasts at the same, apparently with only airmobile forces, who get air support from non-existent carriers. No fear though, american cops manage to build barricades along nearly every road so the troops liberating suburbs don't get lost. I don't think there's been this much railroading since Wolf 3D.

Not that MW1 was an epitome of rationale but atleast it was semibelievable Clancy-plot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom