Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ IMMORTAL: Gates of Pyre

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
IMMORTAL: Gates of Pyre is a Strategy game where players lead armies as godlike generals to dominate the battlefield and conquer their rivals. Across three worlds, these “Immortals” lead their proud and mighty civilizations to victory with unique troops and powerful spells.https://gatesofpyre.com

Starcraft people are involved, so I'll be watching closely.

Not a fan of the Age of Sigmar art style, and it looks like it leans more to the RTT side of the genre (very StarCraft-ish), but I hope it succeeds. Given that the developers have recognized the basic dilemma that RTS games face (ie, how do you make the genre easy for new players to get into without compromising the experience beyond that point), I think they have good chances.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
No, it's Real Time Strategy. You still have to build bases and harvest resources.

The plan is to have three races at the start of beta, then five races at launch. Each race has multiple commander options a la co-op mode. Skirmish and multiplayer will be free at launch, while campaigns will be purchased with money.

Each race has dedicated lore too. The Aru are vicious plant people who worship an alien tree god that spurs them to conquer their planet and others. The Q'rath are an empire led by angels from space who plan on timescales beyond human comprehension. The Jorans are steampunk cowboys who value democracy. Those are the three that will be available at beta.

They had a kickstarter a while back.

Lagi

Savant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agar-RGM9ps

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunspeargames/gates-of-pyre

5 faction

visually its blizzard rip off, with nu-fantasy-speh-marines from GW. I was a bit hyped for Aru, which appear to be some forest/nature faction that are not elves, but yeah they just different skin for zerg.

Hope hardcore RTS players will be happy with mechanics, but its not my cup of tea. I thought this is medieval fantasy, but there are sci-fi ships and laser guns too? I dont see a drip of theme in this (i even forget the title).

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I was a bit hyped for Aru, which appear to be some forest/nature faction that are not elves, but yeah they just different skin for zerg.
The shitty humanized post-Overmind NuZerg maybe, but Aru lack any of the collectivist body horror that I find interesting about ravenous hives. The Aru are fiercely individualist, not a group mind. They viciously war with each other as much as their enemies. They’re metal af: they nurse their babies on their mother’s blood, they chop off their own hands to replace them with scythes, they have dragoon-esque units who get their power from vegetative cancers, etc.

They’re not a lazy zerg reskin. They’re totally their own thing, in terms of fluff anyhow.

They have a sibling race, the Iratek, who are more collectivist. They’re so collectivist that all their members are basically plant-based robots with bodies and souls purposely designed for their roles. The Iratek hate the Aru.

It’s way cooler than you’re giving it credit for.

I thought this is medieval fantasy, but there are sci-fi ships and laser guns too? I dont see a drip of theme in this (i even forget the title).
Better: the spaceships and stargates (there are stargates, the titular gates of pyre) are all powered by magic. The setting has its own laws of physics.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
all powered by magic. The setting has its own laws of physics.
:nocountryforshitposters:
but first part of your post was interesting
There’s something about steampunk tech powered by runes too. I don’t see what’s so eye-rolling about that?

It’s technically fantasy, but it also has stargates connecting planets and an ancient spacefaring civilization. That kind of stuff has been in D&D since that one old adventure where the party explores a crashed starship.

You can ask for more info on the official discord.

kris

Arcane
I saw an actualy pylon in that video, I mean they could try to distinguish themselves a bit more there.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Here's a lore video if interested:

I'll summarize it if you want to skip thru:
  • There's minerals, vespene, and a third resource: the titular pyre that fuels your co-op commander's battlefield support powers.
  • Co-op commanders are the titular immortals. They use pyre to make themselves immortal and give themselves battlefield support powers.
  • The setting consists of two planets and a moon. They use the titular gates to travel between planets or large distances on one planet.
  • The planet Shael is inhabited by humans, composing the Jora and Talmetra civilizations who are steampunk, and angels, ruling the Q'rath Empire.
  • The planet Nuath is inhabited by plant people, the sylv. They're divided into civilizations including the fiercely individualistic Aru and the eusocial Iratek.
  • The moon Xur is a lifeless rock infested by the Herlesh, the former inhabitants now transformed into von Neuman probes for aliens from another universe.

Hamster Godoy

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not a fan of the Age of Sigmar art style, and it looks like it leans more to the RTT side of the genre (very StarCraft-ish), but I hope it succeeds. Given that the developers have recognized the basic dilemma that RTS games face (ie, how do you make the genre easy for new players to get into without compromising the experience beyond that point), I think they have good chances.
age of sigmar art style? that looks like if overwatch raped some modern magic the gathering card artists

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom