Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, May 19, 2018.

1. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Did they make the game less shit yet? Gave it some flavour, depth, and fixed the AI?

• No No x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    I played it a couple of months ago when it had a free weekend and the game was just as boring and soulless as it was before. :negative:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I really hope that the rightmost button stands for "Gains".

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    Honestly, it's felt very playable since 1.3 and the Punic Wars FLC. I've only given Rome a real shot, but it felt like a dynamic recreation of the building tension between the expanding republic and a Carthage keen on dominating Sicily and the western Mediterranean.

The new lead is doing a superb job compared to Johan, who seemed only concerned with arcade-y multiplayer. I think Arheo started off as a content creator, and was responsible for the most flavourful details of the previous updates. (I remember he used to post all the best previews on Twitter.) Now he's leading the project, and it looks dope; I just hope Paradox keeps funding development, because he seems genuinely passionate about the ancient world and giving it a representation that feels alive.

You can see the real change in thinking with the dev diaries fpr Archimedes' (1.4) religion overhaul: 20th Jan, 10th Feb, 24th Feb (there are others, but not on religion). Going off how little of the original design he's kept sacred so far, it looks like the game will be alien to paltry production they first shipped in a couple of years.

The Bronze Age mod really intruiges me. I've been studying the Minoans and Mycenaeans the past month, so I'm really curious what they used as their source materials. The names are like... plausible? But I don't know what year it's meant to be and if there was ever really that substantial a degree of political fragmentation at the same time as civilisation being as developed as in the game. Still, even if they're using a lot of creative license, it's a great effort.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Hace El Oso Arcane Patron

Hace El Oso

I've been waiting for an overhaul that would make the game worth playing, still haven't bought it. If anyone who's played the game checks out the mod or can make an educated guess from the video, let me know if it would get Imperator to the point of being worthwhile in a 2 player game of adult non-memers.

Damn paradox for making such a pretty game set in antiquity and then producing the same techno-diarrhea. Even worse if this mod still can't bandage it while being set in the time of Gilgamesh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    I've really been enjoying playing as various Greek minors trying to claw out a place between the Diadochi. Tends to always mean you are a smaller fry fighting above your weight.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Miner Arobar Educated

Miner Arobar
    The game doesn't deserve half the criticism it has received. It's a perfectly fine successor to (modded) EU:Rome, which is what I expected and wanted it to be. Sure, it doesn't have faction-specific flavour for the kingdom of Sinope or the city-state of Cyzicus or the Himyarite tribes - but come on, it's the only game that presents the ancient world in this kind of detail. Other games might have 20 playable factions or so. Currently, I'm starting to like character interactions a lot - I'm seeing some nice feuds between leading families with tit-for-tat killings - while I'm annoyed with some of the rough edges of the game (like some missions not realistically doable within game's timeframe). And in general, annoyed with Paradox' tendency to completely overhaul published games (Stellaris and this) instead of incrementally improving on what they originally intended.

• Disagree x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • No x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    Archimedes update and Magna Graecia content pack set to release 31st March. Kinda feel like it should be free still, but I remain somewhat optimistic given Arheo is in charge, and Johan is squarely not.

Priced at $7.99 / £5.79 / €7.99.

• meh meh x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    It's out
    :shredder:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252870/Imperator_Rome__Magna_Graecia_Content_Pack/

Base game is 50% off.

No idea if it's any good, but it sounds like the expansion pack is specifically focused on Sparta, Athens, and Syracuse. So... definite 100% guaranteed purchase from me even if it is total dogshit. I bought it a minute or two ago, don't care if it's shit, if you are focusing on Hellenic City States then you are getting my money.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Trade request filtering will be the single biggest quality of life improvement with this update. Having to repeatedly tell every country in diplomatic range that you do not want to trade away a resource you are trying to stockpile in your capitol was my biggest annoyance when playing the game recently.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    Can we all just take a moment to appreciate Illyrian culture finally being separated out? :obviously:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Oh my god, they still have that hebrew province on the northern coast of Black Sea.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    You don't know shit mate,jews were explorers and shiet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    No wonder. It's free so some strategy fans wanted to finally try this masterpiece out.
    Even I installed it.

But I've heard that Paradox not only goes with their tradition of tutorials being quickly outdated to the point of not really functioning, but they went even further ahead and provided no manual.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    I'm enjoying what they did with Sparta. They clearly put a little bit of effort into it.

Not enough to have a dual monarchy or otherwise model the other institutions of Spartan government, but you know, they give you expected missions and events like recovering Messenia and recruiting the Skiritai.

I've been playing iron man mode, which I find more fun. It requires you to pay closer attention. I have an alliance of convenience with Argos and part of Crete, which secures my position as big dog of the peloponnesos. Recovering Messenia is quite easy, it's just a question of treading carefully afterwards.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    Now there's a painful truth. :( They've shown with Stellaris they can do interactive tutorials that don't suck, but gods knows if they'll ever catch up with themselves.

^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    LoL tutorials are for retards.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Paradox haven't provided a useful manual in a long time.

^ Top  
  24. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    I think my time is more valuable than trial and error for basic gameplay concepts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    I never needed a tutorial in my life,it is a waste of time for basic concepts lol.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.