Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imprisoned Hyperion - first-person RPG inspired by Arx Fatalis

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_fe2f2b37d0a61c006041d365f2b47eaebb2d50c0.1920x1080.jpg

ss_218629c67e816b3009b951f22ee27b1689795702.1920x1080.jpg

Also the kick from Dark Messiah.

Developer made another (seemingly more simpler) first-person action RPG and a first-person puzzle game, seemingly taking evolutionary steps toward making this kind of first-person RPG. The video doesn't show much and it seem they have a long way to go, but I guess it's worth watching how this will turn out.

Story

Inside the Imprisoned Hyperion, you will find yourself in a dark and mysterious dungeon after the end of the world. Now life on the surface is no longer possible and people have gone beneath the ground. But it didn't go as planned... People had to start a war with the underground inhabitants. People lose it and are gonna die eventually. Though you are not their savior and not a hero. Because you have your own more important goal in this world, and most of its inhabitants will never understand you. No matter what comes next, but you will achieve your aim.

Features

In the dark dungeons of Hyperion, there are many dangerous creatures that will drain your powers. Steel and spells are a good helper, but there are no magic potions that will restore your powers. So, act wisely, look for food and safe places to recover.

Play your way

There are different ways to succeed. Poison the food in the kitchen to avoid battle or kill the mage who gave you the task to get your reward without completing the task. Your adventure has a specific goal and no matter how you will achieve it. Use your wits and ability to improvise..

Last edited by a moderator:

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
I want to introduce you my game, which is currently in development.
Imprisoned Hyperion is an immersive sim RPG with survival elements.
The action takes place after a cataclysm that forced people to go live underground.
Inspired by Arx fatalis, Dark messiah, Dishonored.

Add to the wishlist and Fallowing in the community you can follow the development.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1617890/Imprisoned_Hyperion

imprisoned hyperion is an imersive sim, first-person rpg. Explore the dark and dangerous dungeons of a world that has survived its end. Survive by finding safe resting places and cooking food. Help different creatures and learn the dark history of this world and your own.

You can additionally support development by buying my previous two games.
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/39459884-Imprisoned-Hyperion/

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
I will be sharing with you how the development of the game is going.
Today I finished Level Blockout for the whole game. The game will have 8 locations, many of which are connected to each other. There will be 2 settlements with NPCs and access to the surface.
Now I'll get to the logic of the levels. Closed doors, keys hidden under pillows, traps, poison for poisoned food, etc.

Hvor

Arcane
Developer

That's how the doors will work. You can open with a key or pick lock them with the perk.

vazha

Arcane

That's how the doors will work. You can open with a key or pick lock them with the perk.

Astounding insight, certainly piqued my interest. How will the chairs work though? Will you be able to sit on them? that's the game-breaker for me, if'n you can't.

deama

Prophet
The action takes place after a cataclysm that forced people to go live underground.

Add to the wishlist and Fallowing in the community you can follow the development.

imprisoned hyperion is an imersive sim, first-person rpg. Explore the dark and dangerous dungeons of a world that has survived its end. Survive by finding safe resting places and cooking food. Help different creatures and learn the dark history of this world and your own.

How many times have you played arx fatalis?

Hvor

Arcane
Developer

How many times have you played arx fatalis?

Played it a lot as a kid and passed it twice last year.
I'm not going to make a copy of Arx Fatalis, I'm inspired by it.

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
Now there is a demo available on Steam, I made it to test the performance and run the game on different computers.
There are VERY many bugs in the demo, as development is still in progress.
The demo will be updated along with the development of the game.
Basically, the demo is made for those who want to test the performance of his computer and get acquainted with the concept of the game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1617890/Imprisoned_Hyperion/

While the game is not optimized and the demo weighs a lot (26 gb) if you do not want to download the demo, I made a video with the content and features available there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KXXbHMRDk0

And a short video with the main game mechanics at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXnkGOjvM6A

I am very open to suggestions and discussions about mechanics.

JDR13

Arcane
The demo is pretty rough, but I still think the game has potential if he can refine it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Hvor
I'd scrap the release date unless you're (for some reason) really deadset on it. Steam says August 2022, but other places say 2023. Feels very arbitrary to have one a year and a half away. "When it's done" is probably better, but I personally hate missed/delayed release dates.

GUI needs a lot of work btw, but I'm sure you know. Looks pretty bad in the screenshots, no offense intended but it screams Unity asset flip.
Goodluck, looks interesting.

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
Hvor
I'd scrap the release date unless you're (for some reason) really deadset on it. Steam says August 2022, but other places say 2023. Feels very arbitrary to have one a year and a half away. "When it's done" is probably better, but I personally hate missed/delayed release dates.

GUI needs a lot of work btw, but I'm sure you know. Looks pretty bad in the screenshots, no offense intended but it screams Unity asset flip.
Goodluck, looks interesting.

I planned to work closely with the game in 2022 and originally put the date + - a year and a half. Then I calculated in more detail how much time it would take me to finish the game and added 2 months, that was the date and so far I meet the deadline, but as development I see new problems and challenges, so, yes. Most likely the release date will be postponed, but I will come back to this issue in 3-4 months. I'm also thinking about early access.

This is a prototype dialog box, it's not an asset, I made it myself in a day. Right now I'm trying to figure out if the dialog works well in this form and changing something or draw a UI on it
I wanted to make a system where a character uses speech techniques or phrases on all creatures and gets different results, but as practice has shown it does not work well.

vazha

Arcane
If this turns out to be half as good as Arx Fatalis, you wont find me complaining. Got the right vibe too.

Mortmal

Arcane
Try the demo, even in a light hearted , easy going, friendly community like the codex, i doubt many will be impressed. Graphics are ok but combat is super primitive with no feeling nor any weapon feedback at all.

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
Try the demo, even in a light hearted , easy going, friendly community like the codex, i doubt many will be impressed. Graphics are ok but combat is super primitive with no feeling nor any weapon feedback at all.
How do you think the combat system can be improved?
I'd be happy to get advice, that's why I'm here.

Mortmal

Arcane
So far combat is left click to hit and it doesnt seems to connect to the ragdolls in front of you , right click to block, thats all , it's far too simple... Easy to improve from that, even older titles like daggerfall had you to move the mouse it the direction you want to strike.

vazha

Arcane
So far combat is left click to hit and it doesnt seems to connect to the ragdolls in front of you , right click to block, thats all , it's far too simple... Easy to improve from that, even older titles like daggerfall had you to move the mouse it the direction you want to strike.
Hvor please do no such thing. Original Arx Fatalis had no such thing and it was fine. Neither did Gothic, or, as far as i remember, Risen series. It's not a Severance or a Souls-like. Even Mount & Blade has movement-based attack / defense as an optional feature. If you want to create a combat game, create one, this strikes me as more atmosphere / story focused and I am just fine with that.

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
Hvor please do no such thing. Original Arx Fatalis had no such thing and it was fine. Neither did Gothic, or, as far as i remember, Risen series. It's not a Severance or a Souls-like. Even Mount & Blade has movement-based attack / defense as an optional feature. If you want to create a combat game, create one, this strikes me as more atmosphere / story focused and I am just fine with that.

I like the Mordhau combat system.
In it you can do normal weapon strikes and blocks, but you can also do special directional strikes, which can give you an advantage. I started to do such a system, but I couldn't find the right third person animations for the NPS.
There are still pieces of this system in the game.
a mouse hold \mouse wheel movement will do a hard hit and jab (this will be our secret)
Mechanically, I'm not going to change the combat system. Strike, block, kick - that's enough in my opinion.
I should work on the sense of impact, sounds and effects in my opinion. I'm also not sure if the stamina of the weapon is normal.

CootKeeper

Augur
Looks good! I'm hoping for levels with vertical layouts. can you douse fire in water, or will water conduct electricity? put off torches on walls?

Hvor

Arcane
Developer
Looks good! I'm hoping for levels with vertical layouts. can you douse fire in water, or will water conduct electricity? put off torches on walls?
Yes, water extinguishes torches on walls, fire traps and fires.
If the enemy stands in a puddle he gets more damage from electricity (this does not work with rivers and lakes unfortunately).
In the demo there is a closet, which can be opened by pressing "E" Behind it there will be a door, in which there is a book of earth magic. By pressing the attack button you will cause an oily surface that slows down the enemies and if you set it on fire with a torch it will create fire area. You can try it in demo right now =)

curds

Magister
I played about 10 mins of the demo yesterday before I had to leave to run some errands. I will come back to it.

Aside from melee combat lacking any feeling of impact (as already mentioned itt) I would also point out that the weapon/torch models in the players hands seem both too close to the face and too far to the peripheries, if you know what I mean. It feels slightly claustrophobic.

When you hover over some equipment in the inventory, eg. the sword, it says "press R to equip". Pressing R does not equip the weapon however, I had to click and drag it. What pressing R does it ready the weapon once it's already equipped. I think your choice of words made this take longer than nessecary to figure out. I suggest changing the tooltip in the inventory to say "click and drag to equip" and maybe having a brief pop-up saying "press R to ready your weapon" once you leave the inventory screen.

Aside from that, this seems like a good effort all in all. Keep it up and keep working and I think you'll have a decent game on your hands one day.

Quick edit: I also think the HUD in the screenshot in the first post of this thread looks better than the one currently in-game. Cheers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom