Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Norfleet

In Skyrim however, you have to follow the damn quest compass; because there is no instructions on your quest log. Skyrim threats you like you have an IQ of a TikToker, and that's insulting.
That is because the developers themselves operate at this level and are thus incapable of writing meaningful instructions. Notice how manual-writing has now been outsourced to the Wikka.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So is the Wildlander dude a discord tranny? Nothing like the LGBTMKYPOX flag for an avatar.

edit:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/43816 Separates your character's gender from their racemenu sex. Vanilla body types are heavily gendered with the mod allowing you to create characters that aren't just huge beefy man or slim woman

Activity​

Dylan Perry moved this card from Unassessed User Suggestions to Assessed and Approved
Sep 5 at 8:40 PM

Dylan Perry Sep 5 at 8:39 PM
Approved. I would like people to have pronoun options if possible, and this looks like a great implementation. I can't guarantee "they/them" functionality because it seems to require some additional components that may or may not work for us, but the other functionality should be doable.

Guessing this means they won't help me mod in the bikini armors that make skyrim worth playing.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/63235
Adds NPCs with various handicaps and disabilities throughout Skyrim. Brings home the scale & impact of the Skyrim Civil War as well as everyday life in the 4th Era.

Activity​

Dylan Perry moved this card from Unassessed User Suggestions to Assessed and Approved
Sep 14 at 1:08 PM

Dylan Perry Sep 14 at 1:08 PM
Approved, assuming there are no unforeseen difficulties. Would be great for realism to get some handicapped and injured NPCs, and just for representation

For representation you know.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Something about this thread having 244 pages really puts shit into perspective around here.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sure, then you see how many people buy the game around here. Idk I am in a bitchy mood ignore me and have fun if you enjoy it.

Semiurge

Cipher
If you can get hold of a horse, you can get past tough monsters like trolls by just running past them. And there are places where you can steal horses, or at least there were last time I played Requiem. Also: you can just pay for a carriage in order to travel safely around Skyrim. You know, like a normal person would who isn't yet a skilled adventurer.

There's a common encounter that spawns a horse next to a dead adventurer. I don't think they walk away when dismounted or disappear if you leave the same cell.

Yosharian

Arcane
If you can get hold of a horse, you can get past tough monsters like trolls by just running past them. And there are places where you can steal horses, or at least there were last time I played Requiem. Also: you can just pay for a carriage in order to travel safely around Skyrim. You know, like a normal person would who isn't yet a skilled adventurer.

There's a common encounter that spawns a horse next to a dead adventurer. I don't think they walk away when dismounted or disappear if you leave the same cell.
There used to be a mechanic that once you stole a horse and rode it into another area or became your horse permanently, not sure if Wildlander still has that mechanic though

Ravielsk

Magister
Anyone playing True Directional Movement with some other mods here? How is it?
I used it as outlined in this video and while it makes 3rd person combat viable its still just Skyrim combat. Left click is still the king and dodging is kind of broken because tk dodge does not do backwards rolls without some very precise inputs. Overall its a good mod that needs another 50 on top to make a difference.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
It's all too ostentatious and not systemized enough to make a real difference. Dorks desperately want to turn it into a Souls/ER clone and then quietly stop playing 20 minutes later and can't figure out why. It's because you can't escape the feeling that you'd be better off just playing Souls/ER at that point.

The correct thing - that no one seems to want to do - would be to ask what is good, if anything, about the vanilla combat and attempt to enhance that, not try to turn it into a poor man's imitation of games built from the ground up to be action games. Minimalism is a no-sell in the skyrim community, I would say unfortunately but I don't really care what these retards do tbh

mastroego

Arcane
Well it's a debate for the ages but I don't think a (fantasy) RPG should be TOO reliant on player's skill when it comes to combat.
It's a difficult recipe, granted.

I am more or less content with the way it turns out with Requiem, at least.
When you start, there's is just no way to face - say - a master vampire. You can't do it. You need leveled up skills, perks, shouts and even artifacts.
I don't play games like this for the challenge with the controls - though there is some of that too, because, if you take again the above example, you need to activate abilities and artifacts at the right moments, if you want to make it (without pause cheese, at least).

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
It's all too ostentatious and not systemized enough to make a real difference. Dorks desperately want to turn it into a Souls/ER clone and then quietly stop playing 20 minutes later and can't figure out why. It's because you can't escape the feeling that you'd be better off just playing Souls/ER at that point.

The correct thing - that no one seems to want to do - would be to ask what is good, if anything, about the vanilla combat and attempt to enhance that, not try to turn it into a poor man's imitation of games built from the ground up to be action games. Minimalism is a no-sell in the skyrim community, I would say unfortunately but I don't really care what these retards do tbh
It's not about imitating DS/ER.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think for anyone who just prefers 3rd person generally to 1st person like me, the 360 movement and the various combat mods that can go along with it is great, even if it doesn't imitate some other 3rd person games in terms of difficulty, it just makes the game more pleasant to play. Makes it more like TW3 or something like that, so you've still got basically the same simple combat, but it's just more pleasant to engage with than the awful 3rd person control that came with the game.

(For me, I go by the principle that 1st person mimics fear-based tunnel vision, so when I've played Skryim I've tended to use 1st person quite often in dungeons, but 3rd person outdoors and more generally. I like that you can switch between the two, and I think all games of this type should have that option.)

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
I used it as outlined in this video...

Mother of god, there are ~20 mods in one video to make Skyrim's combat slightly less shittier. Whole video could be summarized in 3 seconds if he just said "play a better game".
But look at the video, man. This doesn't even seem to be the Skyrim game anymore.

Some modding people are just like that :

- Yo man, see that Lada Samara?
+ Yeah?
- I'll modify it so much, it'll look like a Skoda Favorit!
+Why not just buy a Skoda Favorit then?
- *...angry 1.3 motor noises....*

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Some modding people are just like that :

- Yo man, see that Lada Samara?
+ Yeah?
- I'll modify it so much, it'll look like a Skoda Favorit!
+Why not just buy a Skoda Favorit then?
- *...angry 1.3 motor noises....*
Not really sure what is your aim, but we are talking about modding one aspect of a game out of many. Thefore the notion of "Hey look, they make the combat look like DS/ER, why not play those games instead?" is rather misguided.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Anyway,
I had to reinstall the OS from scratch and I was almost certain my Skyrim setup was lost - yeah I knew I could recreate it step by step but that's still a lot work.
I backed up everything as it was in the various related directories, just to make an attempt, reinstalled the OS, recreated the data structure, and to my surprise it worked.

Not on the first try, of course, but it was still an extremely quick thing.
The key was to reinstall Skyrim from Steam, run it at least once, and THEN copy everything over.
Similarly I had reinstalled Mod Organizer 2 in the same directory as it used to be, and THEN overwrote everything there as well.
So this basically involves 3 places: the Steam Skyrim directory, the MO2 directory, and the Skyrim directory under Documents/My Game.
Additional steps were the re-removal of CC content (which I deleted for my setup), since copying everything over won't get rid of them after they've just been reinstalled, and flagging again MO2 exe with administrator's privileges, which it lost in the backup.

Just thought I'd share, since I always thought it couldn't be (easily) done.
Not that I've playtested it thouroghly yet, but it loads my savegames and reports no errors.

soulburner

Cipher
I confirm this works, did the same thing when copying The Tale of Two Wastelands between two PCs a few days ago. Add onedrive to the mix and you get cloud saves, too.

Ravielsk

Magister
You can never mod this half finished console turd into anything good
The sad thing is that you totally could mod this into a decent game, Enderal is proof enough of that. The problem is that to do that you would need a modder who has their had affixed between their shoulder blades and not between their ass checks. Because well over 90% of mods on nexus are essentially just lame cosmetic tweaks that do more e-begging that changing anything. The game needs quest and dialog overhauls and instead it has several variations of heel's sounds and booby armors that usually do not even look that good.

Even easy stuff like adding a option to side with Mercer in the Thieves guild quest line are passed up in favor of shit like "missives" mods that just add more radiant quest horseshit into a game that already has too much of it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny enough I thought I'd give this game another go with some mods. I was itching to play another vampire game so installed the "better Vampires" mod. Initially I thought I was onto something - sunlight damage, dawguard hunters appear right out of the Helgen cave and ambush me, I retreat into the cave and kill a few but the others are still outside. I levelup from level 1 to 10 with sneak, all skill points into health. Sneak outside and kill a few more by feeding.

Then I thought "lemme test the level scaling thing again - they appeared when I was level 1 and I'm now level 10" and sure enough a single hit from a dawnguard was a 1-shot. So I'm thinking maybe this game might be worth another go. Superpowerful vampire that get 1-shot by a single crossbow bolt and all that.

But now I can't play it even if I wanted to because the game wont load. And I can't be bothered to play loadgame roulette. I do think there's hope for these games, but I'm reminded why I only played this once. And Bethesda arn't gonna make a mod system that prioritises compatibility, so they'll just make another TES game with better graphics in the many years ahead.

Edit: And just remembered the fucking game was full of load bugs even with the simplest of mods.

mastroego

Arcane
Funny enough I thought I'd give this game another go with some mods. I was itching to play another vampire game so installed the "better Vampires" mod. Initially I thought I was onto something - sunlight damage, dawguard hunters appear right out of the Helgen cave and ambush me, I retreat into the cave and kill a few but the others are still outside. I levelup from level 1 to 10 with sneak, all skill points into health. Sneak outside and kill a few more by feeding.

Then I thought "lemme test the level scaling thing again - they appeared when I was level 1 and I'm now level 10" and sure enough a single hit from a dawnguard was a 1-shot. So I'm thinking maybe this game might be worth another go. Superpowerful vampire that get 1-shot by a single crossbow bolt and all that.

But now I can't play it even if I wanted to because the game wont load. And I can't be bothered to play loadgame roulette. I do think there's hope for these games, but I'm reminded why I only played this once. And Bethesda arn't gonna make a mod system that prioritises compatibility, so they'll just make another TES game with better graphics in the many years ahead.

Edit: And just remembered the fucking game was full of load bugs even with the simplest of mods.
Just try loading an older savegame, then load the recent one from inside the game.
This usually solves loading bugs for me.
Not that I remember having them with the Special Edition, tbh.

Are you NOT using Requiem? Why.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mastroego I didn't buy the SE. Mainly becuase I couldn't bring myself to load all the mods again. I just kept the version I had and I can't even tell you from memory which combat overhaul I've got. It doesn't appear in the MCM menu but it overhauled the combat and the feats.

I think there's a game in here somewhere. I'm going down the stealth > vampire route. I'm aware of Requiem, but I don't think I'm gonna go down the mod route again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom