Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

BruceVC

Magister
Perhaps even a silly thing, like not granting permissions to the Reqtificator, or something.
i always work in super-duper-administrator modes. and i thought of that too.

I just don't entirely believe people who say they have hundreds of gigs of mods and the game works perfectly. I've got about 20 or so and most are QOL ones, and a bug has just crept up on me where spells fire backwards in first person.
but mine is not an in-game bug, it's the mod itself which refuses to act properly despite all its needs being fulfilled, and with only a bunch of mods installed which are fully compatible. in fact the game starts and works fine without requiem. but i don't want the vanilla experience. do you know any other overhaul, possibly without level scaling?
It sounds like you doing something wrong, are you sure you installed with admin rights? Maybe make a video and we can confirm for you?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps even a silly thing, like not granting permissions to the Reqtificator, or something.
i always work in super-duper-administrator modes. and i thought of that too.

I just don't entirely believe people who say they have hundreds of gigs of mods and the game works perfectly. I've got about 20 or so and most are QOL ones, and a bug has just crept up on me where spells fire backwards in first person.
but mine is not an in-game bug, it's the mod itself which refuses to act properly despite all its needs being fulfilled, and with only a bunch of mods installed which are fully compatible. in fact the game starts and works fine without requiem. but i don't want the vanilla experience. do you know any other overhaul, possibly without level scaling?
Seriously bro, screenshot pls.

BruceVC

Magister
Guys I need to say something important to anyone who uses mods in ES games. If you not prepared to put time or effort into degrees of research or troubleshooting then dont use them at all

Seriously, I played Oblivion about 6-7 months ago and I used about 200 mods and I experimented with numerous mod managers and mods. I spent about 25 hours finding the right balance. I had a fantastic gaming experience but the game still sometimes CTD but thats okay. You must accept that you will more or less have some mod clashes or issues. But the final result is worth the time spent

Lemming42

Arcane
A fantastic gaming experience with Oblivion? What were your key mods?

Not even saying this in a snide "Oblivion sucks" kind of way, I just never have fun with it no matter how hard I try to overhaul it, but maybe that's because I usually just slap OOO or that other big-name one on and hope for the best.

BruceVC

Magister
A fantastic gaming experience with Oblivion? What were your key mods?

Not even saying this in a snide "Oblivion sucks" kind of way, I just never have fun with it no matter how hard I try to overhaul it, but maybe that's because I usually just slap OOO or that other big-name one on and hope for the best.
Yes Im aware of the general Codex negativity towards Oblivion but I have never believed it.

The main mods that really changed the game for me were

• Maskars Oblivion Overhaul : Makes so many brilliant changing like no more irritating level scaling
  • Ultimate Leveling : It uses XP points and makes exploring and most adventuring activities rewarding
  • Midas Magic Mod : This is the most perfect and lore friendly mod to enhance all spell castings. Its adds hundreds of new spells, a dungeon, quests and monsters you need for ingredients. It has an exciting spell creation system that you use at a new Midas Shop at the Arcane University ....gems and other jewelry never became so important
  • Alchemy Advanced : It makes everything about creating potions more complex and worthwhile ....highly recommended if you enjoy the art of alchemy

had it been a permissions issue NOTHING would had worked, not even vortex to start with.
still asking for alternatives at this point, it's for the better.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MadMaxHellfire Only that Perkus Maximus overhaul I mentioned, but it doesn't touch level scaling. If you go back to the steam link I provided, it lists all the perks, which do change the game.

BruceVC Yeah, I put several months of research into the mods I run and had it running perfectly except for this glitch. Even got Warzones running at max without CTD. But this was years ago and I can't remember if I had that glitch or not. Then I did the dumb thing and updated the Better Vampires mod and ran a ram extension and multiple core mod, so just wondering now if I can be bothered to roll back to my previous version.

i settled for omega + a bunch of stuff like ordinator, apocalypse and whatnot.
whitewhatsitsname, i craft a dagger, she asks me to improve it, "you lack skill". i have 5 smithing and now lack skill? and how much do i need to do starting stuff? also no idea which mod changes this, if omega, ordinator or immersive weapons.
damn, gimme my usual requiem experience back. i'm not even quite sure omega is active but i guess so, because i can kill wolves just fine but a sabretooth cat slaughtered me. definitely not vanilla behaviour.

BruceVC

Magister
had it been a permissions issue NOTHING would had worked, not even vortex to start with.
Are you using Vortex as your mod manager? I use Vortex for most games but not for ES games like Oblivion and I wont use it for Skyrim

I did use it for Morrowind. Most hardcore mod users generally recommend MO2, Mod Organizer, as the prefered mod manager for Skyrim

https://www.modorganizer.org/

mastroego and Yosharian is that still your advice?

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
MadMaxHellfire Only that Perkus Maximus overhaul I mentioned, but it doesn't touch level scaling. If you go back to the steam link I provided, it lists all the perks, which do change the game.

BruceVC Yeah, I put several months of research into the mods I run and had it running perfectly except for this glitch. Even got Warzones running at max without CTD. But this was years ago and I can't remember if I had that glitch or not. Then I did the dumb thing and updated the Better Vampires mod and ran a ram extension and multiple core mod, so just wondering now if I can be bothered to roll back to my previous version.
Its interesting how mod updates during a game can literally break the game. I remember when I played FO4 I loaded about 250 mods and had no real issues but then after 280 hours of playing, and I was right at the end, I load another 2-3 mods and I started getting CTD. I didnt finish the game because of this but I was right at the end so I wasnt angry, just annoyed with myself because most mod advice is dont load certain mods during the game :cool:

Yosharian

Arcane
Are you using Vortex as your mod manager? I use Vortex for most games but not for ES games like Oblivion and I wont use it for Skyrim

I did use it for Morrowind. Most hardcore mod users generally recommend MO2, Mod Organizer, as the prefered mod manager for Skyrim

https://www.modorganizer.org/

mastroego and Yosharian is that still your advice?
MO2 is great if you know how to use it

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Its interesting how mod updates during a game can literally break the game. I remember when I played FO4 I loaded about 250 mods and had no real issues but then after 280 hours of playing, and I was right at the end, I load another 2-3 mods and I started getting CTD. I didnt finish the game because of this but I was right at the end so I wasnt angry, just annoyed with myself because most mod advice is dont load certain mods during the game :cool:

Should have explained that better - I had it running perfectly years ago, then started a new game after updating that mod and using the ram + cpu tools. Then it gets fucked with spells firing backwards.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Heh, I fixed my backwards spells problem. I suspected it was 'The Ultimate Witcher Experience Mod' as I had no problems with my first playthough years ago when I wasn't using the Geralt race/skin. So it turns out the modder had a hotfix, but I dodn't know how to use it because it's a creation kit file.

But somebody else expanded on this mod and fixed a lot of the bugs in it. So it's almost like playing the Witcher now in Skyrim. It's got the contracts, the monsters, upgradeable armour and swords, epic items, etc. "Mod is: "The Witcher Experience Enhanced".

Only problem now is the prat who made the mod decided Geralt should be immune to all diseases and specifically Vampirism. Which is why I wanted to play the fucking game. Bloody typical...you fix all the glitches and CTDs, you get the game running just like you want with all the mods, and autism rules lawyer dungeon master fucktard modder rules just keep the game from being shy of the best it can be for your specific playstyle.

Fucking Skyrim modders. I could probably find a mod to give Geralt tits like melons, and an elephant trunk sized articulated cock - but make him a vampire, and oh no, that's against the rules.

BruceVC

Magister
Heh, I fixed my backwards spells problem. I suspected it was 'The Ultimate Witcher Experience Mod' as I had no problems with my first playthough years ago when I wasn't using the Geralt race/skin. So it turns out the modder had a hotfix, but I dodn't know how to use it because it's a creation kit file.

But somebody else expanded on this mod and fixed a lot of the bugs in it. So it's almost like playing the Witcher now in Skyrim. It's got the contracts, the monsters, upgradeable armour and swords, epic items, etc. "Mod is: "The Witcher Experience Enhanced".

Only problem now is the prat who made the mod decided Geralt should be immune to all diseases and specifically Vampirism. Which is why I wanted to play the fucking game. Bloody typical...you fix all the glitches and CTDs, you get the game running just like you want with all the mods, and autism rules lawyer dungeon master fucktard modder rules just keep the game from being shy of the best it can be for your specific playstyle.

Fucking Skyrim modders. I could probably find a mod to give Geralt tits like melons, and an elephant trunk sized articulated cock - but make him a vampire, and oh no, that's against the rules.
Well done for identifying the problematic mod, its always a great sense of achievement and relief when I remove a mod that is causing an issue and the issue is gone

For me its more important that the game is "stable " and not why you selected a specific mod because I have done that many times as well. I dont read all the notes properly, I install the mod and Im unhappy with some mechanic but its by design or current configuration of the mod :lol:

Which is why I now read and understand all the mods I use

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The problem with skyrim and to some extent with requiem too, albeit it improves a lot of it, is the broken economy of the game. RPG can approach the progression and economy in two different ways - either by completely removing merchants from the game and rely on self found stuff, or heavily depend on merchants for gearing up. You can have a system which is a permutation between these two radically different endpoints. Whereas the first approach doesn't need appropriate prices of items to achieve the verisimilitude of the situation, since there's no relative value of items and their price, the second approach and systems that still use merchants need to have a believable world economy and its core loop.

Every game needs a foundation, a point of reference for its economy and setting, like medieval europe, renaissance europe, early enlightenment, early industrialization etc. This is done in order to establish a price relationship between items, because for example in medieval europe food was generally higher in price relative to other goods, whereas in early industrial period/late enlightenment, food was relatively cheaper vs other manufactured goods. After establishing the point of reference, developer can tweak the prices of items in game to achieve the immersive experience, where things make sense. In vanilla skyrim prices make no sense, where a bread loaf cost only 4-5 times less than an iron boots, an ingot of gold is huge but worth the price of 15 breads. No amount of itemization and loot placement shenanigans will fix this obviously jarring problem, but that's not all. Even if requiem developers adjusted every item price and weight, and it's ingame model to achieve the believable economy, the next problem arises which is the core gameplay loop which intertwine with economy. If armors and gold pieces were priced correctly, a mere singular visit to bandit hideout or kolskeggr mine would net you dozen thousands of septims.

In order to make it believable the design of locations would had to be changed. If forsworn had taken a gold mine, a vital income source for Markarth, it would be a high priority for thane of markarth to reconquer that location, and for forsworn on the other hand it would be in vital interest to make a big encampment there, with fortifications to defend that location. We have none of that in the game, the gold can be easily obtained by player character with only a modest investment of few levels and two handed weapons. There's no verisimilitude in the game world, but most importantly if an economy overhaul was to implemented, these locations would be a jarring problem that could easily break the game economy. Similar approach would had to be done with bandit outposts, where most of the bandits would need armor replacement, stripping them of iron or steel armor in favor of leather armor or no armor at all - NordwarUA excellent mods come to mind, then for iron/steel armor to work properly as a valuable item[as it was in real life] you would need a locational damage and armor piercing mod, something that this guy https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/65296 was working on.

Overall Requiem fix a lot of game problems around the itemization and loot, but it doesn't fix the economy. Sure, taking off elven and ebony armor from leveled lists and placing it in selected places will fix the progression loop of the game, but won't fix the economy of relative prices - the ebony armor is very rare in the game, but the ebony ingot itself is worth only 150 gold, - a bear pelt is worth 75 gold, a wooden broom is worth 10 gold, and bread is worth 2 gold. You would need 20 ebony ingots to buy a small house, and a horse is more expensive than the house. Obviously the balancing of the prices is done, to adapt to the game environment and its faults, instead of changing the game environment and the game loop to be well inline with a believable economy. This is a problem of working around already established but flawed system, instead of actually trying to correct it by doing a vastly more comprehensive overhaul to the whole game. I understand the task would be much more gargantuan and would basically remake the skyrim, but the tools are there, the editor, and as we seen by enderal a huge changes can be done. Would that be a vanilla experience? Nope, but requiem is not vanilla and never will be, so i don't understand the hesitancy to affect the worldspaces, spawns, cells, npc routines. For example - even an official incorporation of trade and barter, trade routes, coins of tamriel, and exchange currency mod, would at least improve some faults of the system.

Given all these problems, it's very hard to find excitement and incentive to explore and play skyrim in order to achieve ingame wealth, as the versimilitude of the world fights you at every corner. You know, the kind of excitement that you found some very rare of expensive stuff, instead of "oh gold ingot, oh it's worth the same as every bandit steel place that i can just hop on my horse and sell in town". The only fun you can milk is from the sheer character progression and combat trying to not wander with your mind and thinking about the "does it make sense?" when it comes to economy, but sadly skyrim character progression and combat is invariably tied to economy, due to trainers and poor loot balance even with requiem. Problem is combat in skyrim isn't that fun[due to inferior AI, their detection, behavior and perks] to outweight the other glaring problems of the game, one of them being the economy and worldbuilding that have no internal consistency with the narrative.

Sorry for the long rant, but i've tried to mod some prices, and then sat down thinking about it thoroughly, and the sheer volume of interconnected stuff that you would need to change in order to unfuck the game is just too much, even taking requiem as the base to build upon.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Given all these problems, it's very hard to find excitement and incentive to explore and play skyrim in order to achieve ingame wealth

This was never really the point of the game nor Requiem's. The purpose is to have a fun themepark where you explore, kill stuff, find stuff. Even on Morrowind TES has always been about that. Economy is just supporting system made to delay progression in reasonable way. And before that it just massive dungeon crawler as a focus.

These games has never been a "medieval fantasy simulator" as a point. And I doubt there is even much demand for that in Requiem player base let alone base TES base. Even those that only play MW

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played Skyrim in a long time but take Oblivion dingy shack as an example (that one house you buy in IC in the beggar area near the dock). IIRC it cost 3k gold.

Imagine if realistically it would cost 5 - 10 times that. Would that be realistic? Yeah, but it also means the player being massive hobo for 30 hours just to buy a room where they can store loot even if you revamp the whole economy. Or now you have to pay landlord for 5k gold a year to have place to store stuff safely and will be kicked out if miss payment.

Not really exciting in any way.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
If it bothers you that much, make a patch for it and change the vampirism tag to allowed. If the mod gives you a custom race to play as Geralt, this might work.

"But I don't want to learn how to do that"

Then you will suck that autistic modder cock CLEAN

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines & removing the special racial ability. Picking a race as your preset appearance also seems to flag a warning with the better vampires mod, so I might just take the path of least resistance and play a nord that kind looks like Geralt in my head. The Wicher mod still seems to be in place.

I'd have tagged your post something other than Merry Christmas, but everything else positive suggests I'd consider sucking modder cock clean.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Well done for identifying the problematic mod, its always a great sense of achievement and relief when I remove a mod that is causing an issue and the issue is gone

For me its more important that the game is "stable " and not why you selected a specific mod because I have done that many times as well. I dont read all the notes properly, I install the mod and Im unhappy with some mechanic but its by design or current configuration of the mod :lol:

Which is why I now read and understand all the mods I use

I did in all honesty sped way too much time autistically researching and installing specific mods years ago when the game came out, and I remembered not choosing to install that patch (assuming I knew how) because I didn't use the race skin of Geralt. I've always taken the strategy that less mods = more stability as you seem to. But then I suppose 5-10 years go by, and you forget what you did, and just install a bigger tits mod for Triss and then load the game and wonder why her nipples are floating in the air 6" in front of her boobs when she has armour on.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
OK, newbie question, but I don't have an ego when it comes to questions so feel free to assume I'm 5 years old. The load order is last takes priority right? So if I prefer boobs, and I install x3 mods:

1. Small manicured feet.
2. Apple asses.
3. Erika Eleniak Boobs.

Then I'm gonna get the boobs taking priority right?. That's what they're saying here: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/How_to_handle_load_order
But my vampire mod just kicked the bucket, and I'm trying to find out why. I tried LOOT and it just destroyed my game, so I'm manually adjusting order through the Bethesda launcher. ALthough that seems to ahve a mind of its own and doesn't save the order I put them in...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom