Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

mastroego

Arcane
Yeah I know, if only there was an user around these parts who could advise you guys that small, quality Requiem handpicked modlist is the best way to go.
wildlanders *IS* a "requiem handpicked modlist".
I also said "quality"
And I meant minimal and handpicked by yourself, as I clarified several times in this discussion, whereas Wildlander is a megabeast of the "all or nothing" variety.

In my own handpicked list, probably half of the mods are just small engine fixes or UI enhancements. Then there are a few graphical improvements, but nothing that tries to revolutionize the game.
Possibly 3 or 4 mods that expand roleplay options in a few key quests.
Then there's Requiem and a couple of mods that really complement it, like survival mods. Those are the real and only gameplay modifications that I use, the whole thing remains coherent and functional.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
And now for some graphical opinions....

I've tried installing an ENB, and it was... meh?
I use BethINI and Dyndolod, with the highest preset for the INIs the game looks good already imho.
Sure there are other effects that come with the ENB, but nothing seemed to change the look of the game dramatically, and the DOF actually makes it worse (imho).

Am I missing something?

Puukko

Arcane
ENBs can change the look of the game drastically. They also look different depending on weather and location. I am not 100% sure what my current preset is since I installed it a year ago, but I believe it is Ominous with manual tweaks to get a bit more color and performance out of it. Without ENB, the game just looks naked to me.

I recommend trying out more than one.

mastroego

Arcane
hmm, makes sense.
Would you agree that DOF is to be avoided though?
Not only the effect is out of place in a game (imho), it's also a lot worse in motion than it appears from screenshots. Objects in your proximity keep going in and out of focus, it's annoying.

Puukko

Arcane
DoF can work with great restraint. If I can't look at anything from a meter away without getting a headache and thinking I'm nearsighted, it's not fit for gameplay. There are far more examples of bad implementation than good so it's no wonder people dismiss it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And now for some graphical opinions....

I've tried installing an ENB, and it was... meh?
I use BethINI and Dyndolod, with the highest preset for the INIs the game looks good already imho.
Sure there are other effects that come with the ENB, but nothing seemed to change the look of the game dramatically, and the DOF actually makes it worse (imho).

Am I missing something?
The coolest thing ENB adds is particle lights.
They're proper lights with proper shadows and everything, and they're exempt from the 4-lights-per-mesh limit of base skyrim (this applies to the special edition too).

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22574
Some of the lighting overhauls (Lux in particular) require it to have properly lit interiors.

mastroego

Arcane
Ok, thanks but I'm not sure how it works.
Is that a full ENB preset? Or just an add-on or such?
If that's the case, what combo would you suggest?

tentanz

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah I know, if only there was an user around these parts who could advise you guys that small, quality Requiem handpicked modlist is the best way to go.
If only there were a much more comprehensive, much better-looking, polished, extensively tested and curated monster mod list that was completely automated, had its own website, its own support staff, and is completely free...
Link?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Any mods for Skyrim that add worthwhile endgame activities? Something like having to stockpile loot to achieve some monumental task. Otherwise there's nothing to do except for the two good guild questlines.

Ravielsk

Magister
Eh?
Also isn't there some museum mod that pushes you to hunt down every single artefact in the game
Legacy of the Dragonborn but its fundamentally just a scrip heavy armor show room. It does not alter quest or add any real incentive outside of autistic need to "collect them all".

I just realized Sir Crispy started this thread literally one week after Skyrim came out. I mean, we joke about Codexers being closet Skyrim fags, but DAMNNNN....

Modron

Arcane
Nothing closeted about crispy he regularly talks about playing different mods on skyrim to this day. Good chance he's playing Skyrim right now.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Jarmaro

Liturgist
If anyone's interested in the state of large Skyrim modding:

Out of interesting parts, Beyond Skyrim: Morrowind tries to gives more options based on player's skills, i.e. if you have to fix a dwemer pipe, you can either do it with Smithing and ingots, Destruction or Alteration. That's actually pretty nice.
Beyond Skyrim: Illiac Bay looks nice, I especially like Celtic aesthetics. It keeps chugging along.
BS: Atmora looks the most developed out of them all so far, we're probably going to see it soonest.
Skyblivion continues to show great progress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom