Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In appreciation of TIE Fighter.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Every serious gamer in the 90s had a joystick for space sims. Until Microsoft tried to make space sims more accessible and introduced mouse controls in Freelancer.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My dad thought he was saving money not buying me a joystick for TIE Fighter. Joke's on him, I just wore out his mouse while furiously throwing it around the desk during dogfights. (And I believe mice actually still cost a little bit in the mid-1990s iirc.)

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
My dad thought he was saving money not buying me a joystick for TIE Fighter. Joke's on him, I just wore out his mouse while furiously throwing it around the desk during dogfights. (And I believe mice actually still cost a little bit in the mid-1990s iirc.)

The old ball mices werent expensive.

Corvinus

Arcane

The old ball mices werent expensive.

I think mine costed what corresponds to 10 € in the early 90s.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I was privileged enough to have an SVI QS-113 joystick back when I played X-Wing and graduated to a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro just in time to play TIE Fighter.

Then I bought a used Microsoft Force Feedback 2 for 35€ in the mid-2000s and never looked back. I fucking love this joystick and it feels just so right playing these classic games with it.
:love:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think mine costed what corresponds to 10 € in the early 90s.

Makes sense. I just knew they were really expensive in the 1980s. This is one reason why you see so many PC games from that era that can be played 100% with the keyboard even up to Civilization. But by the late '90s they were just giving them away.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I had joystick long ago, i've played mobil 1 rally championship on it. Joysticks were already expensive in Poland, and driving wheel was much more expensive so i didn't have one. Then i had second joystick, but i haven't played much games on it, beside the gunship from microprose. Gave them to local charity for poor kids.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Man, converting to an imperial theme all of the menu screens and especially XWA's pilot room where you collect crap and see your uniform/helmet/medalcase get new stuff as you progress was such a great move. I still miss the classic briefing/debriefing screens, but it softens the blow. They even re-used the e-mail system so it's relevant to Tie Fighter's campaign and its Imperial theme.
QmSrkeN.png

rH7CfPQ.jpg
:hero:

Voids

Augur

Same. I actually can't believe I made it through the entire game that way.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Every serious gamer in the 90s had a joystick for space sims. Until Microsoft tried to make space sims more accessible and introduced mouse controls in Freelancer.

Both X-Wing and TIE-Fighter had mouse support when they were released in 1993 and 1994 respectively. You're right that every serious gamer had a joystick, but mouse support was very normal, regardless.

:Flash:

Arcane

Both X-Wing and TIE-Fighter had mouse support when they were released in 1993 and 1994 respectively. You're right that every serious gamer had a joystick, but mouse support was very normal, regardless.
True, but X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, and the Windows editions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter didn't even start if there was no joystick connected. Can't remember about X-Wing Alliance.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
From my POV, the DOS/Windows version of X-Wing was in a more dire need of a remake. TIE-Fighter (DOS Collectors' CD) still hold up and punches well above its weight.

I have yet to try this myself, but eh.. I mean this remake does what it says on the tin, more or less, but TIE Fighter has a certain soul to it that I appreciate more than bloom effects, textures and light flares.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'll try this at some point, but I don't have ants in my pants, so to speak.

:Flash:

Arcane
The extreme reflection of the lasers everywhere can be toned down by editing laser_light_Intensity in ssao.cfg.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Mostly "working on it" news about the next update and the release of the unfinished Re-imagined battles but oh shit, they got Otaking remaking the game's intro? As long as enabling it is optional I'm all for it.

Also that other mod set during Pellaeon's attempt to stop warlordism looks pretty interesting :bounce:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was privileged enough to have an SVI QS-113 joystick back when I played X-Wing and graduated to a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro just in time to play TIE Fighter.

Then I bought a used Microsoft Force Feedback 2 for 35€ in the mid-2000s and never looked back. I fucking love this joystick and it feels just so right playing these classic games with it.
:love:
This is the best joystick ever made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom