Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In-game advertising

racofer

Thread Incliner
But the truth... oh god, the truth is so much worse... so, so much worse...

iWQ2SU1.jpeg

Modron

Arcane
This thread aged badly. How could I have known back then that "ads in games" would become a reality, but in a much much different way than I imagined?

My idea was billboards in something like a GTA game showing real world ads, because that makes sense. Big cities have billboards with ads on them. A game set in a modern real world city can have real companies pay money to be featured on in-game billboards. Simple. Easy. Doesn't hurt the game.

But the truth... oh god, the truth is so much worse... so, so much worse...
2 years before this thread:
2286207-burnoutobama800_screen.jpg

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Adverts would be pretty cool, imagine opening your inventory and seeing 'sponsored by X', I could see it working in some non-serious games. I forget the name but there was some kind of easy to add advertising API for flash games back in the day, it made indies way more money than they were getting from sponsorships from websites or shared ad revenue from said websites. If it makes it indie development more financially viable then I'd be all down for it.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think you refer to mochiads which was highly popular at the time but I think it depended on the game - personally i made more money from non-exclusive sponsorships (essentially letting a site to host my game with their name and no ads) than in-game ads. Though i only had ads during the initial downloading time where you'd have to wait anyway, after that there were no ads.

Also all the ads i saw in the games via mochiads were about Cilit Bang and stuff like that that i have no idea how it'd work with the ~12yo audience that played these games at the time and there was no option in mochiads to tell them that "some dude playing a bloody zombie FPS or turn based fantazy puzzle game in their highschool computer room has very little chance on being interested in toilet cleaning products".

I did make enough money to buy VtMB though so there is that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom