Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Increase in hacked accounts posting advertising content

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I think most sites have a cooldown on logins. So you can't just keep spamming a gazillion password combinations or your IP will get locked out. The benefit is to quickly have a secure and unique password if you want to sign up for a site, and have them all easily accessible in a browser extension (or desktop client). The key here is unique, because if one site gets compromised, your other accounts will stay secure, and that's the biggest security concern, because most people I would guess just use the same password everywhere.
Of course, none of this matters if you're just going to link everything to an email account, which provides a single point of failure for every account, or dox yourself by sharing your real-life data like your phone in the Interwebs, at which point your entire security is completely void.
Have an extremely secure email and password manager password that can be remembered, everything else can be extremely complicated and not easy to remember. It's a lot easier to make and remember 2 really good passwords, where as people without password managers reuse passwords, even on sketchy sites, and with the 20 passwords they need to remember they opt for weaker passwords so they can actually remember them.
why two? I know only one password, that of my password manager. The passwords for my email accounts are saved in there too. I take extra precaution and regenerate maximum security passwords for my emails every year or so, just in case. Also have 2FA enabled.

It happens quite often, depending on how shady the sites are that you sign up on, that their database gets compromised, this is a website that can show you if that happened to your data:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I think most sites have a cooldown on logins. So you can't just keep spamming a gazillion password combinations or your IP will get locked out. The benefit is to quickly have a secure and unique password if you want to sign up for a site, and have them all easily accessible in a browser extension (or desktop client). The key here is unique, because if one site gets compromised, your other accounts will stay secure, and that's the biggest security concern, because most people I would guess just use the same password everywhere.
Of course, none of this matters if you're just going to link everything to an email account, which provides a single point of failure for every account, or dox yourself by sharing your real-life data like your phone in the Interwebs, at which point your entire security is completely void.
Have an extremely secure email and password manager password that can be remembered, everything else can be extremely complicated and not easy to remember. It's a lot easier to make and remember 2 really good passwords, where as people without password managers reuse passwords, even on sketchy sites, and with the 20 passwords they need to remember they opt for weaker passwords so they can actually remember them.
why two? I know only one password, that of my password manager. The passwords for my email accounts are saved in there too. I take extra precaution and regenerate maximum security passwords for my emails every year or so, just in case. Also have 2FA enabled.

It happens quite often, depending on how shady the sites are that you sign up on, that their database gets compromised, this is a website that can show you if that happened to your data:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/
I always know my email password just in case I'm in a situation where i either don't have my password manager or something happens with it. Your email is the account that ties everything together so I think everybody should always know it just as a occasion.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have the password to my password manager safely tattooed on the inside of my eyelids.
But I must rub lemon juice into my eyes and spend 2 hours in front of a heating lamp for it to become readable.

I also had to dispose of the tattoo artist.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have the password to my password manager safely tattooed on the inside of my eyelids.
But I must rub lemon juice into my eyes and spend 2 hours in front of a heating lamp for it to become readable.

There was a password manager company that got hacked. Forgot which one.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, yes, definitely! Forgot the name, too, though :lol:

I'd never use one of those that are "cloud synced" or integrated in your browser or whatever.
I use KeePass and keep the key file around on an encrypted cloud storage (and my phone).
Since I'm not completely paranoid, I feel that's reasonable.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can't imagine they make a lot money advertising for phones or crypto on the Codex.

Signed copies of Planescape: Torment (or Mein Kampf) would be better ideas.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

LastPass. Multiple times. It's always LastPass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom