Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Indie Adventure RPG Driftmoon Released, Available on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Driftmoon; Instant Kingdom

Indie top-down "adventure RPG" Driftmoon has been released today, after seven years of development time. It isn't a hardcore RPG by any means, but I enjoyed my time with the demo - it reminded me of Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall, if any of you have played that game back in the 90s. (Our resident Driftmoon expert Haba might be able to tell you more, once and if he finishes his review.)

Anyway, the game is available on GOG.com for $11.99 (20% off during the launch week), as well as directly from the developer, on Gamersgate, GreenManGaming, and Desura.

• Driftmoon is a one-of-a-kind adventure RPG, with a deep story that will surprise you, and put a smile on your face - and a cast of characters that you won't soon forget!
  • Driftmoon comes with a powerful editor, and a one-click mod sharing system. There's already a nice selection available.
  • Driftmoon has been developed by a husband and wife team, under the course of seven years. Ville Mönkkönen has also developed the successful survival game Notrium.
The Driftmoon demo, available through www.instantkingdom.com, features a charmingly quirky adventure, and (up until the end of February 2013) even a never-expiring discount code which can be used when buying the game through the developer's website.​

Also, RPGWatch already has a review to offer:

The first thing to stress is that this is definitely a mixture of two gaming genres; adventure and rpg. While different from and not as complex as the old QFG series, it does contain many of the same elements. First of all, it's supposed to be a light-hearted and fun game which doesn't take itself too seriously. In some ways it reminds me of the excellent Frayed Knights which successfully adopted the same tone. Consider, how often have you faced the pizza cutter of DOOM while playing your standard rpg? That's not to imply that the game is in any way silly, it's definitely not. Underneath all the humour lies a serious and complex game.

[...] All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game and was disappointed when it was finished. I could have kept playing and fortunately, the availability of fan produced mods should make this a reality. My advice is to grab the demo and give this game a try; I don't think you will be disappointed. I haven't enjoyed a game as much since Frayed Knights. Bottom line; it's not perfect, but it's been a long time since I enjoyed a game as much as this one. Think QFG and FK mixed and blended together and you'll have some idea of what to expect. I eagerly anticipate more from this marvellous couple.​

Be sure to give the demo a try if this looks like your kind of thing. And stay tuned for a Codex review (hopefully).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I would love to support this initiative but I HATE the top down perspective. :(

Indranys

Savant
Is this the game where everyone turned to stone in the prologue??
I tried the demo last year.
Driftmoon did not impress me, but it's not that bad either.
It was just so-so. To colorful/cartoony for my taste.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Consider, how often have you faced the pizza cutter of DOOM while playing your standard rpg?
hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol...as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me ^_^... im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol...neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!

DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again ^_^ hehe...toodles!!!!!

love and waffles, *~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

UnknownBro

Savant
Technically the game looks good but... I hate rpgs with cartoony graphics that "don't take themselves too seriously".
Fuck those. Will not buy.

himmy

Arcane
I would love to support this initiative but I HATE the top down perspective. :(

You get used to it in a manner of minutes. Also, apparently the final version has tilting.

In other news, the Codex won't play any game with a press release that doesn't mention the words "mature", "dark" and "gritty" at least 8 times.

Xavier0889

Learned
Consider, how often have you faced the pizza cutter of DOOM while playing your standard rpg?
hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol...as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me ^_^... im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol...neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!

They just don't make it like the Hoe of Destruction and the Golden Pantaloons anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
u7kilrathi.png

A user named cat

mMrE07M.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom