Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Friendly Development Tools

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by lefthandblack, May 19, 2010.

1. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    Swords & Sorcery Underworld (a proper old-school dungeon-crawling CRPG) was also made with GameMaker I believe. Charles-cgr could confirm?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Dim Not sure if advertising plant?

Dim
    Steam is amazing. Topdown shooters and shumps are almost the same thing.

^ Top  
  3. Charles-cgr OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Project: Eternity
    Yes it was! Available Dec 15th at a Steam store near you. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Amazon is making a free game development engine available, based on Crytek's CryEngine, which is named Lumberyard. Not only is it free, the source coude is also freely available. Integration with Twitch are already available and an integration with Oculus is coming.

Amazon makes money off the engine as it is closely integrated with Amazon Web Services, which is not free. That said, it is apparently possible for developers to integrate their own server.​

^ Top  
  5. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    I really wonder if there's a market for that. AAA engines and the indie developer target market don't go too well together, yet. AAA asset creation is generally off limit to most teams. They sort of see it as a way to push AWS as a backend for games, but I wonder, if releasing SDKs for popular engines wouldn't have been enough, same for twitch integration. Also their mobile hardware seems to be a bit too weak for AAA games compared to other, higher cost alternatives.

^ Top  
  6. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    Seeing as they released the source code and it's based on UE, it seems like this basically IS an AWS/Twitch SDK for one popular engine. They just seem to have packaged it up.

^ Top  
  7. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    CryEngine. True, but if I wanted to target the indie audience, CryEngine would be the engine I picked last, though it was probably the only major engine available for licensing for what they wanted.

(I just noticed that there already is an Unity AWS SDK, though I never heard if if before. The BaaS / backend market is a bit confusing at the moment. Parse shuts down, Unity partnered with Kii, but they aren't really keen on games, AWS is not really game centric and the numerous other players (app42, gamesparks, playfab) are small in comparison.)

^ Top  
  8. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    Yeah, CryEngine I mean -- sorry. You're right it's a bit strange but I'm sure they have some sort of medium term plan for world domination that will not come to fruition.

^ Top  
  9. Vikter Learned Patron

Vikter
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    So I tried Amazon's Lumberyard, and while setting it up is a little contrived (there is no actual installer, you can't put it in a location with spaces in its path, it requires a lot of shit to get started, etc), it's not bad at all. It goes into 5fps on my laptop when rendering the water, but there are some pretty feature complete tools, and it's well documented.

^ Top  
  10. Leshy Educated

Leshy
    That really depends on what you mean by indie. For a one/two person team with no budget indeed, but for more established teams it is a possibility. There's quite a bunch of indie games made with UE4. And nowadays with asset stores it's not that difficult to get high quality assets.

^ Top  
  11. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    Godot Engine has hit version 2.0 Stable : http://www.godotengine.org/article/godot-engine-reaches-2-0-stable

Also, they launched a revamped main website with a new Q&A system a couple days ago. Previously, the main community interaction happened mainly on Facebook (blech) or the ghost-town of a forum they had. The Q&A system is a much better setup.

And the documentation site has changed and is much better to navigate now.

Now is a good time to jump in if you've been considering this engine. I switched my project to Godot over from Unity a couple weeks ago, and things are coming along nicely.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Inkle (developer of 80 Days and Sorcery! digital version) released their script language as open source: http://www.inklestudios.com/ink/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Monogame will now be an engine choice in Xbox One. Reminder that Monogame started as a reimplementation of XNA.

^ Top  
  14. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  15. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I'm going to have fun, fucking around with the samples, and see what happens. Thank you good sir. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Niektory one of some Patron

Niektory
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Are you developing anything? I noticed some participation from you when I snooped around the FIFE boards.

^ Top  
  18. Niektory one of some Patron

Niektory
    Well, yes. Except it's in development hell. I'll post about it when I have something to show, which might or might not happen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Jaesun it's go time on this one, too. swinezig knows we mean business.

^ Top  
  20. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    Ooh nice! Thanks for the link!

^ Top  
  22. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    I've been following this guy for quite some time, and his Github page offers some interesting image effects for Unity: https://github.com/keijiro

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    I just realized after finishing the download this is 16 GB not 1.6! Not sure where I got that original number, it might have been a typo on their website previously.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Leshy Educated

Leshy
    ^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://led.itch.io/tilemancer

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.