Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Industries of Titan - sci-fi city building sim/strategy set on Titan

Retardo

Learned
So, it comes to the Steam today.

What's the consensus on its current state, is it any good?

Barely any content from what i tried half a year ago. Sure you can play for few hours but you won't get anything out of it since almost everything is not in game yet.

Thanks for the info!

Well, looks like this will have to wait for another year (or five) then.

BTW, were there any good scifi city/colony builders in the last decade? Except obvious rimworld and ONI.

Perkel

Arcane
Thanks for the info!

BTW, were there any good scifi city/colony builders in the last decade? Except obvious rimworld and ONI.

On subject sadly not. There is recent upswing of those but almost all of them are in very early access.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So, it comes to the Steam today.

What's the consensus on its current state, is it any good?

Barely any content from what i tried half a year ago. Sure you can play for few hours but you won't get anything out of it since almost everything is not in game yet.

Thanks for the info!

Surviving Mars is alright.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
On subject sadly not. There is recent upswing of those but almost all of them are in very early access.

One could also say it differently, that millenial developers work only 1-2 days a month and have no desire to finish anything.

Perkel

Arcane

One could also say it differently, that millenial developers work only 1-2 days a month and have no desire to finish anything.

OR that economy sims are one of the hardest games to make which require solid team of experts behind it and people who start to make such stuff don't realize how hard it is and learn it only along the way.

Retardo

Learned

OR that economy sims are one of the hardest games to make which require solid team of experts behind it and people who start to make such stuff don't realize how hard it is and learn it only along the way.

Not only economic, but any game with proper resource chains and systems interactions.
IIRC, oxygen not included took 2 or 3 years of early access, and who knows what time before EA. Their DLC, being based on existing game, is being developed for 7 months already, and will probably be in early access half a year more.

Rimworld and Factorio were in development for ~5 years each.
Dwarf Fortress will be in development forever:smug:

The chances for a random band of millenials making a good economic/survival game are pretty slim.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I wonder how much of that is the fault of performance issues and needing to scale down initial simulation ideas or the game due to lacking the tools and know-how to pull it off. An infamous example I recall is clockwork empires where the devs fucked up by thinking they can have major parts of the colonist simulation loop running using lua scripting. They ended up redoing all of that in C++ and in any case the development was troubled so much that it killed the company.

I'm still amazed ONI somehow manages not to shit itself way way sooner performance-wise considering the complexity of the simulation and it running on Unity.

Lastly the big fucking problem the genre has are shitty designers incapable of designing interesting simulation systems, resulting in superficial husks of sim builder games such as Frostpunk and to a lesser extent Surviving Mars. It doesn't help some of them probably were tainted by the worst browser/phone "strategy" game practices.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
did they even add anything or just made some small patches and release that wreck ? Last time i played it was alpha and i don't even remember it going beta it was pretty much unfinished.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I'll wait for non-retarded user reviews on steam, although I would prefer a more hard science fiction take on a Titan city builder.

Also I just checked the wiki and unless that one is dead for 2 years or more, the amount of planned content buildings and lacking things like food, oxygen or water in the resources management is disconcerting.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Had great expectations for this one...then I tried Epic demo and...shiiiiiiet. They completely messed out the idea of industry building, turning this into some imitation of mobile game with gems.

Perkel

Arcane
playing it rn

pretty good. Does a lot of good things so far. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than alpha i played 1,5 year ago.

image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom