Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinity Engine Ironman Extravaganza

Between a suggestion made in the Baldur's Gate Let's Play over yonder and the old Fallout Ironman Challenge over here I decided to start up an Infinity Engine Ironman shebang. At the very least, it might let people get some more mileage out of older games, or give these games a try perhaps.

What are the Infinity Engine games?

These would be Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale 2.

What about Torment?

Immortality and ironman don't play nice with each other.

What do I do in an ironman playthrough?

Simple. Don't use save/reload. You can save as much as you like. Saving often is a good thing, especially when playing computer games. The catch is, no reloading besides when you start the game. If you lose a party member, eat the loss. If your character or character's die, then it's game over.

How do I participate in this thread?

All you have to do is play the game ironman, and post screenshots of your progress by use of the default screenshot button, which in most (if not all) of the Infinity Engine games is the Print Screen button and provide a little bit of a description every once in a while in this thread. Confused about how often is enough or too much? Check the Fallout ironman challenge thread linked up at the top of this post for a reference. Also, come up with a unique name for all your characters or teams for being recorded in the results boards.

Also, JPEGS are always nice, as are 800X600 or less resolutions if at all possible with the screenshots.

Anything else?

Indeed. For starters, update whenever an NPC companion (where applicable) is killed for good and isn't able to come back. This means that either you removed them from the party upon death as opposed to resurrecting them, are unable to resurrect them for some reason, or they got gibbed beyond saving. That way I can track the NPC deaths. If you decide to raise them, if you are able to, you don't need to update. Also update whoever you pick up, ditch, or swap out. That way I can keep track of survivors. They'll be put on the board of asinine cliches....I mean heroic companions with their status.

What about mods and the like?

Mods are fine as long as they don't imbalance the game towards the player. So no uber weapon mods, no added NPC companions, and the like. Basically, interface updates are great, ease of use is a wonderful thing, and if you want to up the difficulty, be my guest.

Any additional rules?

Yep.

General

-Don't abuse glitches. I know I can't tell and neither can anyone else, but use the honor system.

Baldur's Gate

-Only create one character. No multiplayer import/export shenanigans.
-If there's a Candlekeep skipping mod, go for it.

Baldur's Gate 2

-Same as with number 1, don't make more than one character.
-Importing your old character from the first is alright, just don't pull the equipment keeping glitch.
-Dungeon-Be-Gone mod is okay. Because nobody is actually going to die in there and it's a waste of time. If you want to go through it, it's okay, but you don't have to. Just to get things going.

Throne of Bhaal

-Same as the main game.

Icewind Dale 1 and 2

-You can create your party members only at startup. Nobody joins midway through. Pick the number you bring wisely. Taking less than six to capitalize on additional experience is a decent idea, but don't regret it.
-Give your party a name, as that' how they'll be tracked on the board.

Any decent mods to make things better?

Sure are.

Baldur's Gate 1

-Baldurdash: This is a fixpack that corrects a lot of bugs and screwups in some of the items and abilities that aren't corrected by the patch.

-Unfinished Business: A mod that restores or attempts to restore a bunch of cut content and fill in a lot of illogical plot holes, like Kivan having no reaction to Tazok and such.

-Sword Coast Strategems: An AI update making the game more challenging through tactics and "smarter enemies" as opposed to sillyness like tripling damage rolls or souped up HP.

-BG1 Tutu: Baldur's Gate 1 in the Baldur's Gate 2 engine.

-Easy Tutu: For when you want a simple install process of the Tutu mod.

Baldur's Gate 2

-BG2 Fixpack: Nice and simple fixpack in the vein of Baldurdash.

-Unfinished Business: More cut content restoration to make playing the game again a little more interesting, hopefully.

-Tactics: For when you need to knock a munchkinized party down a few pegs.

-Sword Coast Stratagems 2: Pure AI upgrade that makes the enemies do the most with their given abilities as opposed to Tactics style cheese.

Throne of Bhaal

-Ascension: Kick the difficulty up a notch, or just make the rather poor ending sequence into something a bit better.

Icewind Dale

-Trials of the Luremaster: An add-on with more content for Heart of Winter.

Icewind Dale 2

-Slowdown Fixer: Absolutely crucial because some areas are loaded with so many animated monsters that they crash often. This helps alleviate this problem quite well from my experience.

-Targos-Be-Gone: Self explanatory. Just like Dungeon-Be-Gone for BG2, removing a pain in the ass.

Oh, and thanks Bradylama for the templates I'm stealing here....

The results

Code:
Baldur's Gate deaths
----------
   Name         Poster          Class               Cause of Death
Goldilocks      Elwro         Illusionist        Gibbed by a gibberling pack
Kane           Shannow       Berserker      Met a ghastly end trying to get some steroids.
Buttmunch       Murrow         Bard             Arrow bukkaked by bandits.
Vaern           Fyz            Fighter/Mage       Wolfed down by los lobos vampiros.
Hateguy         Murrow      Fighter/Conjurer      Stone dead forever.
C. Munchkin     Makagor      Fighter/Cleric        Was the darkness that was magic missile'd.
Mjorkerina      mjorkerina        Mage         Misunderstood and killed by bounty hunters.
G. Do-Gooder    Makagor        Paladin         Beaten to a pulp by walking flesh.   
Moreseia        Moradil           Bard            Killed by a bloated corporate whore.
Maneater       WetWorks1      Berserker       Subdued by the male gaze of some ghasts

Code:
Baldur's Gate 2 deaths
----------
   Name        Poster           Class               Cause of Death
Dolph Ziggler   Mikayel    Thief->Mage      Prebek made him tap out.
Karr                 Mikayel    Fighter/Cleric     Lich slapped

Code:
Throne of Bhaal deaths
----------
   Name        Poster           Class               Cause of Death

Code:
Icewind Dale Deaths
----------
   Team                      Poster                            Last Stand
Iron Lords of Blood        flabbyjack                 Pissed off Arundel beyond belief.

Code:
Icewind Dale 2 Deaths
----------
   Team                      Poster                            Last Stand
The Codexers                abstract            Killed by angry moon worshiping lesbians

Code:
The Meat Shields...err friends
--------------------------
Baldur's Gate
   NPC          # of Deaths    # of Survivals
Ajantis                 2
Alora
Branwen              2
Coran                  2
Dynaheir               1
Edwin                  1
Eldoth
Faldorn
Garrick                 2
Imoen                  7
Jaheira                3
Kagain                  3
Khalid                    2
Kivan                   1
Minsc                   2
Montaron            5
Quayle
Safana
Shar-Teel
Skie
Tiax
Viconia
Xan
Xzar                    4
Yeslick

Baldur's Gate 2
   NPC          # of Deaths    # of Survivals
Aerie                   1
Anomen              1
Cernd
Edwin                 1
Haer'Dalis
Imoen
Jaheira
Jan
Keldorn
Korgan              1
Mazzy
Minsc                  1
Nalia
Valygar
Viconia
Yoshimo...
Mr. Throne of Bhaal

Code:
The Ironmen (AKA the winners)
-----------
  Name                                                                         Game                 
Snow White and the Dwarven Wrecking Crew                                    Icewind Dale 
Atheist Elf Ninjas                                                          Icewind Dale

Code:
The Tablet of Shame
-----------
  Name         Poster             Game           Shame

Go wild, and if by chance anybody actually manages to have someone go through the entire Bhaalspawn saga, I would be very impressed. Hell, I might even have to give them a prize.

Section8

Cipher
Hah, should be a laugh, given the utterly broken random encounters in Baldur's Gate, and the number of enemies that can one shot you with a lucky roll.

Section8

Cipher
Man Baldur's Gate 2 is a piece of shit. That's about the third time I've embarked upon a hilarious "Let's Play" adventure with it, but I just can't bring myself to slug through the mind-numbing drudgery of the first level. At least with the Temple of Trials you know things will get good eventually. Fuck it. I'm off to play Impossible Mission instead.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hmm, I spent the last 1 1/5 hours installing the BG series and downloading various mods. There is so much new stuff out there I might even enjoy this.
Problem is I can't get tutu to work with my German version. But since localisation is crap anyway I'll simply torrent the games. I even found torrents that include most mods...

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Another key glitch people need to avoid is selling rods to vendors then buying them back to recharge them. Without this, the rod of resurrection negates the challenge in BG2 entirely. If you really want the ironman challenge to be hard, you should tell people to only rest in sensible places too.

callehe

Liturgist
BG is no fun playing ironman, I mean come on, the only way not to die by some freak accident is to constantly wear protective spells all the time, or memorize all the enemy positions, both alternatives are skullbreakingly boring.

flabbyjack

Arcane
I recommend Screen Capture Professional for taking screenshots. Whenever you hit 'Print Screen'(or alt+printscreen if running in windowed mode) it places the screenshot as a .bmp or .jpeg in a specified folder. Very useful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I started by making my party. Since this is Ironman, death is given a certain amount of weight. I made an evil party to carve a true swath of destruction through the Northlands. Let us let the party name be -- Iron Lords of Blood.

A bloodthirsty barbarian as my party leader, with a couple short-statured slaves, to round things off I added a murder-addicted pit fighter and a priest of Talos.
Slaves ; a neutral gnome priestess, and a retarded dwarf(Hit in the head too many times?). There is actually a good soundset(Male_fighter_3) that supports a retarded character because he can't speak, just grunt.
I included redundant clerics(3 of them). I'll be able to res my whole party, with a set of backup equipment on the clerics.

Screenshot34.jpg

My favorite character is definitely the kill-a-holic. He's going to be soooo much fun!!

After crashing once I was on my way!
Screenshot39.jpg

Hrothgar warns me against harming his residents?!? Oh he is so dead. Seriously. Better ding level 3 first though. He also told me the location of his home. Bad move.

Screenshot42.jpg

"I have a better idea -- Let's poke it with FIVE sticks!!" The squirrel turned out to be invulnerable.

I consider attacking the local innskeeper, but I know better -- it would draw aggro from the whole town. Luckily there was a monster sighting just outside of town. Death Toll : 7 goblins, from just outside of the village of Easthaven.
Screenshot46.jpg

While investigating a missing caravan, I spot an orc fleeing into a cave system. There's a death toll on the rise. Result ;
25 dead orcs, 1 dead ogre, and --
Screenshot47.jpg

a dead party leader.
Death toll is now 7 goblins, 25 orcs, 1 ogre.

Back to town for a quick rezz for a paltry 100 gold. This game was MADE for ironman. Now on the road to Kuldahar. The mountain collapses behind me in an avalanche and I meet a hermit. Then I attack him, yet he vanishes in a flash of light. Continuing on...
3 dozen more dead goblins. 4 of which are goblin marshals. They'll be marshalling in the Abyss now. One gobbo loses his head, figuratively then literally. Killed a few more goblins, and found an ogre in a tower. He's dead, but now so is my dwarven slave fighter/cleric. We'll remedy this in Kuldahar.
Death toll : 3.5 dozen goblins, 2 dozen orcs, 2 ogres.

Later I found a valley with goblins munching on beetles. In a nearby cave I found beetles munching on goblins. Damn D&D should at least keep the food chains straight.
Screenshot50.jpg

Beetles munchin' down! www.goblinscomic.com would be apalled.

I have finally arrived at Kuldahar. A little boy named Nate meets me at the entrance. He was a frightful child, and rightly so! I attacked his invulnerable ass, drawing the ire of the whole town.
Screenshot52.jpg

Yet another invulnerable NPC. Maybe IWD2 would allow me to be more e-vile.

Suddenly an old man appears before me and summons a quartet of polar bears. These things ain't no black bears, these are huge territorial creatures, so I run and he takes down another party member.

Screenshot53.jpg

I reach a dead end, damn I should have scouted the town first. It's time for the last stand.

Screenshot54.jpg

Old man casts fear-> insect swarm -> lightning, and my two hardy fighters are wiped out.

Screenshot55.jpg

Die, die, everybody die.

Summary : No innocents have died, despite my attempts. All the blue innocents I attacked turned out to be invulernable, and Kuldahar spawned it's 'old man' defenses right after I arrived. Result - slaves died first, then the fighters.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Section8 said:
Man Baldur's Gate 2 is a piece of shit. That's about the third time I've embarked upon a hilarious "Let's Play" adventure with it, but I just can't bring myself to slug through the mind-numbing drudgery of the first level. At least with the Temple of Trials you know things will get good eventually. Fuck it. I'm off to play Impossible Mission instead.

It takes 20 minutes tops to complete that level, without exploring the side areas of course. What's the big deal? And once you hit the surface things get interesting, Athkatla is a nice place to explore, one of the best Bioware ever designed. Anyway, I'm installing Baldurs Gate II + ToB right now. I would try Icewind Dale since I enjoy it more than BG but I gotta agree with Kingston, no one will finish IWD.

The Teenage Atheist Ninja Elves roll out onto the Spine of the World intent on killing lots of evil stuff and um.....killing even more evil stuff. Being the good little atheists they are, they don't believe in clerics or druids and don't believe in that useless wisdom stat. Being ninjas and all means they like to be sneaky, and shoot stuff, so they all have 19 Dexterity, all have missile weapon, crossbow, or bow proficiencies. There are two Fighter/Thieves, two Thief/Mages, and two Fighter/Thief/Mages.

iwind000.jpg

Here they are in all their glory, using brilliant nomenclature techniques from the likes of such brilliant literary masterpieces such as Doom and Jade Empire.

iwind002.jpg

They spend the money they mooched off their parents on gear from some Middle-Eastern guy because fundamentalist right wingers would think he's a terrorist so it's cool to rebel.

iwind003.jpg

It's not like they'll actually live to pick up the Restored Blade of Aihonen, but free exprience is never bad, right?

iwind005.jpg

The ninjas cut through the orc caves like hot knives through butter with their salvos of missiles, both corporeal and magical (holy shit 19 dexterity kicks ass when paired with ranged weaponry).

iwind007.jpg

Goblins don't like getting shot.

iwind008.jpg

The ogre almost beats one of the ninjas to a pulp. Lucky guy.

iwind009.jpg

They arrive in Kuldahar, pick up supplies, fight some Yeti, and go to blitz the Vale of Shadows.

iwind011.jpg

The ninjas clear out the side tombs and kill many undead in the process. Ones immune to normal weapons are a bit of a problem.

iwind012.jpg

They arrive in Kresselack's tomb after a resupply run and begin to wade knee deep into the dead.

iwind014.jpg

The fight on the second level goes well, as they mop up the undead forces with minimal loss of health.

iwind015.jpg

The third level however, is a bit trickier...nothing 32 days of rest can't cure though.

iwind016.jpg

The ninjas get to go kill a priestess now. They're going to love this one.

iwind018.jpg

Yeti and cheap parlor tricks along with light shows are no match for the atheist ninja squad.

iwind019.jpg

The ninjas return to Kresselack, give him the news, take his stuff, take Lysan's stuff from the bartender, rest, resupply, and attack the Temple of the Forgotten God.

iwind020.jpg

Verbeeg and acolytes stand no chance against the hail of arrows along with the hit and run tactics employed by the ninjas.

iwind022.jpg

A fight scene in which the acolytes actually entrap their own verbeeg allies in an entangle spell, making them easy targets for the ninja.

iwind023.jpg

The Temple falls to the atheist fervor and they pick upa MacGuffin, resupply, and head out to Dragon's Eye.

iwind024.jpg

Everything goes well, until spiders kill Rasta Bongoman and they are forced to retreat and have him resurrected at Kuldahar.

iwind025.jpg

After returning and trying to rest, the ninja squad is ambushed by lizardmen from the rear. Something went wrong with Sum Ting Wong, and he had to be brought back for revival as well. It's expensive too. You'd think the atheists might have a different outlook after a priest brings them back from the dead, but I guess they're really stubborn about it.

iwind026.jpg

Fat lizardmen+choke point+arrow swarm=lots of dead lizardmen and some happy ninja.

iwind027.jpg

The ninja squad plays exterminator with alpha strikes of magic missiles, arrows, and bolts.

iwind028.jpg

Trolls are quickly dispatched as well. In fact, one salvo of ranged weapons usually downs a troll without fail.

iwind029.jpg

And this is one of the more reasonable rest times.

iwind030.jpg

Just how overpowered is haste in this game?

iwind031.jpg

That overpowered.

iwind032.jpg

Another display of the wonders of haste.

iwind034.jpg

And another.

iwind033.jpg

A quick nap, and the ninja squad is ready to go.

I'm actually pretty surprised they've lived this long. If the Yuan-Ti don't kill them, it should be interesting to see how quickly the Severed Hand dismantles the team.

Oh, and what exactly was your team's name, flabbyjack? Just so I can put them up on the board for real sooner or later.

And I might update the rules a bit just to make getting started easier in Baldur's Gate and the sequel....

flabbyjack

Arcane
Eh I guess I missed this part -- "... whenever an NPC companion (where applicable) is killed for good. This means either you remove the from the party upon death as opposed to resurrecting them, are unable to resurrect them, or they got gibbed beyond saving."

For BG/IWD I think NPC resurrections should be allowed, because once the PC or the whole party falls game over man! But hell I didn't make this thread so I'm not about to change the rules.

flabbyjack said:
Eh I guess I missed this part -- "... whenever an NPC companion (where applicable) is killed for good. This means either you remove the from the party upon death as opposed to resurrecting them, are unable to resurrect them, or they got gibbed beyond saving."

For BG/IWD I think NPC resurrections should be allowed, because once the PC or the whole party falls game over man! But hell I didn't make this thread so I'm not about to change the rules.

Lumpy said:
Is resurrection allowed?

My bad. It's a language mistake. I was trying to emphasize the importance of reporting deaths/swapouts and when to do it. Resurrection's allowed for sure. I'll immediately clarify that paragraph now. Sorry about that mess.

sabishii

Arbiter
Damn, I'm yet again pissed that I forgot to back up my BG2 save game (finished, but was too lazy to start ToB). I had a Wild Mage, PERFECT for a "Let's Play." I turned myself into a fucking squirrel in Irenicus's dungeon, man. Maybe I'll just start ToB with another Wild Mage, hopefully not missing kewl loots from SoA that I had =(.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well time to begin.

It is Baldursgate time and i never played a mage so this should be fun.

Time for Darringer the really awesome mage to do what ever a mage do.

Baldr000.jpg

Well there he is time to start it was a dark and stormy night....do not be fooled by the bright light and sunny picture it was dark and stormy

Baldr003.jpg

Now with the orders to gather some stuff and then go back to my foster father gorion i start exploring Candelkeep.

Baldr004.jpg

Oh look a door nothing bad is going to happen in her right.

Baldr005.jpg

So some dood comes out of know where and tries to shank me (get it). So i knock him over the head.
And the Villagers rejoice. Loot....

Baldr006.jpg

Loot is awesome.

After sneaking out pretending nothing happen i walk around and then i run into Imoen

Baldr007.jpg

Looks like the little minx is with holding info from me i should shank her.

Baldr009.jpg

Well after some walking around and looting random things i come to house i go in and BOM 2 times in the same day. Dam assassins.

Baldr010.jpg

Well after walking around some more looting random barrels i come to house filled with fun.

Baldr011.jpg

After getting a temp party of random meatshildes the fun begins.

Baldr012.jpg

Baldr013.jpg

Well after countless mobs gets killed and hurt imaginative ways and i had my fun it is time to get out and go kill some rats.

Baldr016.jpg

After a few hours of missing the dam rats i get to fight the king of rats ratzilla it was a epic battle that i forgot to take screen shots of so all you get is this picture with out rats, but i am telling you it was EPIC.

Baldr017.jpg

Well off i go whit gorion and before i know what i happening every one is dead and i am alone in the world.

Oh and Imoen came to....i should shank her.

Baldr018.jpg

Well i decide to keep her in case i need some one to trip when i run away from something big and scary with maybe 2 or 3 heads.

So time to find the corpse of Gorion and loot it i mean find the letter Imoen talked about.

Baldr019.jpg

And now that i know where to go it is time to travel.

I pick up Xzar and Montaron on the way there
Baldr020.jpg

Before i know more i am getting attacked by a random mage.

Baldr021.jpg

And i find that some dastardly evil doer want me dead.

Baldr022.jpg

So they want me dead...... they will learn they WILL LEARN NO ONE TRYES TO KILL THE MOST AWESOME MAGE OF ALL MAGES EVER!!!!!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whoa, Edward, I only got so far in IWD after dozens of realods. Guess I just suck at party creation and IE combat, but still...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom